Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Friday, April 9, 2010

Dress-up Challenge

Get Dress Challenge
This week there was a dress-up challenge sent through the blog world.  I had been mulling this thought through my brain for weeks. I had allowed this once-learned lesson to be derailed through some of my life's challenges, and used excuses to justify it.


I also knew I had pushed the limit in my frumpy/sloppy daily attire when I heard one of my children say, "Where are you going, Momma?" and there wasn't any intent to leave the house.

As always, one thing turns up another and to take on this challenge, I first had to purge the frumpy, too tight, in-your-dreams, handed-down-too-many times clothing from my closet and put it in order.

Okay....here it goes, and, yes, it is bad.  The saying goes that you can tell a woman's life by what her purse looks like....well, if the same is said about her closet...mine screams "disorder".

I would go in, couldn't get inspired, grab the first item and head out of the closet...wouldn't you?  Who wants to look through this junk.

The small clothes would yell out how much weight I had gained, the overly used items had been photographed too many times..."Mom are you in that same shirt again?"  The nicely intended hand-me-downs just yelled..."That isn't you, but you need to be grateful and use them."

Step One - acknowledge the issues in my heart and purge!!!

No turning back...it must all be done in order to sleep tonight!!!

Step  Two - I tried on all my tops....that back fat isn't leaving tomorrow, and the buttons just aren't going to button...in the pile they went.

Pants...shirts were depressing enough, so I looked at them, threw the too-small,wishful ones into the pile and will deal with the large sizes as I go to put them on...at least they are all about the same size, which isn't saying much, but hopefully I can wear them.

Step Three - To the closet!...spring/summer tops in the front and color-coordinated.  Light weight pants on the bottom in the front with winter pants and tops toward the back of the closet.  The overhead shelves, de-junked and organized...mostly keepsakes up there with a few sweaters.

Now I can see what I need...a lot... too sad. I removed more than I put back, but at least I am realistic now!

I did add one new item to my wardrobe...something I have never possessed or used...An Apron!!!  Who knows... maybe this is going to be a whole new season of fashion for me!
" Now, Ricki, what do you want for dinner?"

May you enjoy your task each day. May your husband and children delight in your countenance.  May you enjoy dressing up to serve your family, whether it's a dress, jeans, sweats or an apron... your inner beauty and tidiness should shine through!

5 Joining in with more words:

Debi said...

Bravo!! You DID 'dump the frump'! And you're so brave to show your closet - :) So funny we did it on the same day.
I can't believe you haven't had an apron. I bet you get addicted - like me. Plus, they make them all pretty now - not that "I Love Lucy" isn't lovely ...
Enjoy your new freedom! Glad you shared it with the WORLD. Inspiring!

Lynn said...

Janette, thank you so much for the visit. I need to do a big cleaning out soon. I do a lot of thrift store shopping and things build up quickly. I also hang onto things thinking maybe someday...

Lynn

Treasures from a shoebox said...

Thank you for showing your closet (and your clothes)! I still must bring in the summer things, which were never unpacked last summer because I had a baby at the end of August. It's a continual cycle...

Dionna said...

I have a hard time getting rid of clothes too. I think I'll get rid of something once I have a replacement - ha ha. Getting better - baby steps.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great pictures...bookmarked your blog so I can come back and read more...This is such a FUN party.
A random prize drawing for tonight (SUN) and then a $100 Gift basket for the GRAND PRIZE. I am amazed at all the different and creative blogs and having so much fun meeting new friends...Stop by for a visit...nothing you have to do but leave a comment on either of my blogs. Happy Sunday..
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/
http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails