Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Bridge Builder





The Bridge Builder - Will Allen Dromgoole


An old man, going a lone highway,

Came at the evening, cold and gray,

To a chasm, vast and deep and wide,

Through which was flowing a sullen tide.

The old man crossed in the twilight dim;

The sullen stream had no fears for him;

But he turned when safe on the other side

And built a bridge to span the tide.



"Old man," said a fellow pilgrim near,

"You are wasting strength with building here;

Your journey will end with the ending day;

You never again must pass this way;

You have crossed the chasm, deep and wide— 

Why build you the bridge at the eventide?"



The builder lifted his old gray head:

"Good friend, in the path I have come," he said,

"There followeth after me today

A youth whose feet must pass this way.

This chasm that has been naught to me

To that fair-haired youth may a pitfall be.

He, too, must cross in the twilight dim;

Good friend, I am building the bridge for him."1



I posted this in honor of poetry month and also because it is one of my favorite poems, which continues to teach me lessons.


During the younger years of my first four children, I would post poems, verses and quotes on their bathroom mirrors.  I would encase them in mylar and rotate them through the different bathrooms.  My hope was they would read them while dressing...teen years brought a lot of time in front of the mirror.


Did it work?  Well, only time will tell if my efforts will bring forth good fruit or not. Maybe the words will come back in due season for each of my adult children.


I hope my gray head has built and is still building bridges for others to one day pass through.  We have the choice to build or tear down. I pray that I have built more than I have torn down.  My hope is founded in the Ultimate Bridge Builder, Jesus Christ.


What is your favorite poem?

2 Joining in with more words:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment-I got on your blog and starting reading-very inspiring! I couldn't believe when you said you were 49-you look great! Not that that is old and I am not far behind-just had #40 a few months ago-a hard one for me to swallow since I have a little one that just turned 2 and people think I shouldn't be that old-oh well! You just didn't look anywhere near 49 so I was surprised. I am joining on and look forward to reading more of your blog-I may need home schooling tips-I am going to start my daughter at home this next fall-she is justing having a hard time with school work this year and the school system is not helping.
Thanks again for your prayers and sweet comment about my Brandon-we have surgery on Tuesday to remove the cysts and have extensive surgery on the hip-please keep praying!
Hope you have a blessed day!
Jill Jones
Pathway to Purpose

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

You are so sweet! I live in the Dallas area where you were going to be bringing your son, maybe that has already happened. He is in my thoughts and prayers. Our oldest has a bone tumor on his hip...not cancerous, praise God, but he has been dealing with it for four years now.
Blessings to you all through this time,
Janette

Related Posts with Thumbnails