Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Thursday, October 25, 2012

Feed My Soul

Leslie at Farm Fresh Fun just summed up my feelings through her excellent wording,  "feeding her soul".  I just nodded as I read her post and thought about how Vee at A Haven for Vee post on finding the covered bridge did the same thing...."fed my soul".

I know my need to consistently feed my "spirit". Therefore, I carve out time to be with the Lord daily and His Word.

I have learned through my aging process that I also need to feed my "physical" body, both with good nutrition and exercise.

The area I tend to neglect is "feeding my soul".  I can tell when I need to "feed my soul" and if I stop to give in, my whole countenance can change.   There are times when that "feeding" comes through creating, singing, reading, or visiting the arts.  The "feeding" that brings me back to my roots was what I did on Sunday.  I grabbed my tennis shoes and headed out the door for the sites and smells of the country.


A farm just miles down from our neighborhood. Even with all of Texas's growth we still have places that remind us of the past.  The cement jungle hasn't taken everything away...yet!



The cattle guard continues to keep in whatever cattle might still roam on this downsized farm...the abandoned tractor and farm equipment tells the story of the glory days of the past.


These train tracks are still used today, yet not to the extent of days gone by.

Each site just reminded me that others have passed this way also.  Life continues to move forward, and yet, remembrances of the past, while enjoying the sights and smells of nature, just "feeds my soul."

How do you feed your soul?

22 Joining in with more words:

Pom Pom said...

Just last night at our small group we were taking about soul care. I like the way C.S. Lewis said that you don't have a soul, you ARE a soul. Awesome, huh?

Mary said...

What a wonderful place to take a walk...to take in...we need those times to replenish our souls just like we need food to replenish our bodies...maybe sometimes even more so.

Debbie Petras said...

Oh yes, we must feed our soul too! Sometimes we just need to look for the good and the positive in life. We all have our struggles. But we can choose our responses. I love your response friend. I only wish I could take a walk with you.

Love you,
Debbie

Debbie said...

Good morning....such a good post Janette, and oh soo true. How we all need those times. How do I feed my soul? Let's see....one of the best ones for me is sitting at the beach watching the sun setting and yet still glistening on the water as the waves crash into the shore and the sight of the seagulls swooping around..love it. I also love to walk in the mountains and take in the silence, the smell of the ground, and watch and hear the wind rustling through the leaves of the trees. I can go to either of these places (sometimes just in my mind) and feel the peace that only comes from Him. Another one of my favorites is to sit and rock a sleeping baby humming and imagining and dreaming all they can be. I could go on, haha, but these are some of my favorites. Have a good day Janette!

Sandy said...

I love this, Janette. I feed my soul best at night when the house is quiet and dark. I love to go to a private area and read my Bible and pray. Sometimes I just sit quietly and listen and in a short time I find His peace settling upon me. And, as Debbie said, holding a little baby does wonders for the soul, so calming.
Hugs~

Vee said...

Ahhhh...I enjoyed reading this and would consider it "feeding my soul." How wonderful to see that there are yet places where time stands still and not too far away either. I would wish that everyone had such a place. When we quiet ourselves...body, mind, spirit, we are more likely to hear God's voice. Once a little four year old girl told her teenage sister (my friend) that God had been speaking to her in the night. My friend perked up and asked what God sounded like. Her little sister said, "You must listen very carefully because He talks very quietly." My friend has never forgotten that nor have I.

Farm Girl said...

Very nice walk. Oh feeding my soul is listening to Charles Stanley on my Ipod while I stitch. In the late afternoon when my work is finished until dinner, school is finished and that bit of time I have. I am refreshed and ready for what the evening brings and for the people who will be coming in the door.
It is very important.
I loved your photos of your walk. Very pretty.

myletterstoemily said...

by coming to your blog!

. . . and reading great literature.

Maryann said...

you are so right about this one, I can tell when my soul needs to be fed, the first thing I start to lose is peace. My friend says we need to feed our souls everyday because we leak.
My favorite place is the Gardens but any place where I can be still and quiet and meditate on his truths can be a place to replenish my soul
BTW love the photo of the rail tracks going off in the distance

podso said...

I love this post and the photos. They speak volumes! I especially love the first one. My husband's beloved basketball coach and friend died in his sleep the night before yesterday and what did he do his last day? Sat on a fence while a friend repaired the stone wall in front of his house!

As far as nourishing my soul--good reading, a visit to view good art, being out in the country and seeing God's wonderful gift of nature to us --- Scripture, of course, or worshipping together with other believers.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

love what you did...grabbed those tennis shoes and out the door in His creation.....I do pretty much the same...outside....in the woods...in the hills alone...breathing in His amazing presence...powerful stuff that reminds me I'm not alone anymore. Hope the rest of your day shines.

Debbie said...

Taking a deep breath here.

I totally understand what you mean about feeding your soul. Vee's covered bridge would have done it for me, I think, but we don't have them here. I think that old stone fence that you posted is the most soul feeding of all of these. However, there is something about a cattle cross/ gate that I find enchanting and don't know why.

I do believe I'm heading out for some soul feeding this weekend. Thanks for your inspiration.

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

Beautiful pictures, Janette, and wise words. We must nurture both the physical and the spiritual in order to be truly healthy. Something to remember as we rush about accomplishing everything on our To Do Lists.

A multi-dimensional life said...

Ah, I know what you mean about those sites and sounds as well as remembrances which feed the soul. As you said, "creating" soothes my soul. Enjoying the gift of creativity and also observing God's creation nourishes me and I feel God's pleasure! Janette, I've missed you. I haven't posted since summer, and it's nice to be back. Just needed a break...but I truly enjoyed the time away. I'm so glad to see your photo and read your words again! Your light continues to bless others! xoxo

Rebecca said...

...sometimes, just like you did here. Sometimes by forgetting the clock and getting lost in magazines at Barnes & Noble. Sometimes by reading a book. Sometimes by time spent in significant conversation with a friend. Sometimes by sitting down at the piano and playing & singing.....

Lisa said...

This is so great you have such a place of beauty near you to visit. I,like you, am trying to find the balance in my life.

Petra said...

I needed to read this. Ever since I've started my new job, I've been feeding my job and my sweet tooth, and it shows around my waist. Thanks for the reminder not to neglect the soul! xoxo

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

Janette, several months ago we purchased a few acres "in the country" (but only 10 minutes from our house). I've never mentioned it on my blog, but I have showed a few pics -- and even did a tablescape there. :-) I've been away from home for much of Sept. and Oct. -- and upon my return this week, I couldn't get to the farm fast enough! I took one whole day to slow down, even lying on a blanket and looking up at the "golden rain" of leaves falling from the trees above. For the sake of our souls, we MUST slow down. The farm near you looks like the perfect place. I'm so glad you have it nearby!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

I'm with Emily, I just fed my soul reading this entry. Another way is by beginning each day in his Word and in prayer. It gets everything into proper perspective and my day goes much smoother.

Blessings Jeanette, what a beacon you are to Him.

Brenda Lazzaro Yoder, said...

Janette, this was beautiful, along with the pictures. When I was running ragged as full time teacher and mom, I ran a lot because it was food for my mind and body and soul but I've realized over the years that I crave time alone with God. So I'm not as fit as I used to be physically, but I agree with you 100% that nothing replaces the word of God. Hope you are having a good week.

Brenda Lazzaro Yoder, said...

Janette, this was beautiful, along with the pictures. When I was running ragged as full time teacher and mom, I ran a lot because it was food for my mind and body and soul but I've realized over the years that I crave time alone with God. So I'm not as fit as I used to be physically, but I agree with you 100% that nothing replaces the word of God. Hope you are having a good week.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for affirming my own need in this area, Janette - and I devour such food as you've shared today!
Joy!
Kathy

Related Posts with Thumbnails