Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Racing to Put My Foot in the Door Jam

The door starts to swing close on its hinges, as I race to put my foot between the door and its frame.  It can't be closing... I have so much more I want to do! Yet, the calendar begs to be turned to the month of August.  Summer is coming to an end.


In Texas, I will still experience 100plus-degree weather for another month or more.  Fall will not tempt us into its cool mornings until possibly late September, but the school year has now been pushed to start in August, instead of the olden days after Labor Day.


I have enjoyed this slower pace summer. Last year held unemployment and uncertainty. This summer, my nest only holds two and I haven't experienced this slow of pace in years. Yet, I can see my unaccomplished "dream list" hasn't been crossed off either.


I will venture into an uncharted territory this year with both of my younger sons.  Number 5 will enter high school with a home school co-op.  I will delegate his education, outside of my supervision, for the first time in my homeschooling journey.  I look forward to this welcome freedom for me, as well as the benefits he will receive in a group setting.  In the past 21 years of home educating, there have always been siblings doing school along side each other...now our family is in a new season.


My second new adventure will be putting my 6th child in "kids day out" for two partial days a week.  In my 26 years as a stay-at-home mom, I have never used these services.  Because of the 10 year gap between him and his brother, he doesn't have a lot of friends close to his age.  He is so excited.  I am sure the biggest adjustment will be on my side of this new adventure.


Seasons come and seasons go.  Past seasons for me seem to have been more comfortable and predictable with little adjustments from one school year to another.  This new season seems so foreign.


As I reluctantly turn my calendar to August, I read these words placed over the artist's precious picture of a small boy.


Doin' Chores
Chores are Good for You
They are not punishment to bring you sorrow
The bucket of chores Mamma gives you today
Will make a responsible
caretaker tomorrow

Along the bottom are the words that remind me that as I continue on this parenting journey, even with the new, unfamiliar twist, I have a responsibility.
"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Prov. 22:6
So I put my foot into the door jam to stop the closure for two more weeks of summer.  My focus will be to emotionally adjust to this new season and complete the list of chores remaining.  We will still hold off fall by swimming as long as possible and eating dinner outside on the patio table.

Blessings to you as you come to the end of your summer and look forward to your change of season - whatever that may bring.  What excitement each season of change brings!!

13 Joining in with more words:

Rachel @ Finding Joy said...

Oh, Janette -- I am so blessed to have you as a blogging friend. I appreciate your honesty words about this season in your life.

This year, I feel at a different crossroads with our homeschooling journey. Hannah, our oldest, will be starting highschool studies and I also have little ones. Including baby Samuel. I'm craving structure, which is ironic because for many years we were so relaxed. It's a battle in my mind!

Saw that you had the "Do Hard Things" book. Excellent book.

God bless you, my friend. I will pray for this time.

Rachel

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

Janette:

Since I am a couple of steps ahead of you in seasons, I can tell you that they will keep on changing! The biggest of all for me, was the empty nest... YIKES!!

I think I am just now finally accepting and settling in to a new chapter. I am also finding that this new chapter, while uncertain in many ways, holds new challenges and excitements.

And so it goes, the chapters of life, and don't they go fast!!

Meanwhile, as you said... there is still plenty more heat in Texas to last us for awhile!

Theresa said...

We don't start our school year until the second week in September. I usually start a week after public school starts. I am still in summer mode and enjoying swimming and eating outside on our patio table too! Happy Wednesday friend :)

Debbie Petras said...

Janette, each season brings change, doesn't it? I hear your heart in your writing. Although I can't identify with raising children, those seasons change for all of us. Frankly, I'm looking forward to a new season. :)

Love and hugs,
Debbie

partialemptynester said...

Oh, sweet thing! I hear ya! My hardest transition was when my son (now in college) went from 5th grade to 6th...you are sooo right, it's much harder on the momma, than the child...he was downright excited about the transition and did so well...I, on the other hand, was just a bundle of knots...and I'm still handing those knots over to God to untie each morning...several years later!!

Debbie said...

I can't identify with the home schooling thoughts as I never did do that (though do I ever admire you for having done so) but I certainly can with the whole "back to school" feelings. Summer ALWAYS seem to race by. Just as you were really settling in to a no schedule feel, it was over and time to head back. I don't like change ever really, I tend to be nostalgic over almost everything, haha...but summer is always hard to let go of. The season of life I find myself in now is definitely a new and different one for me. I am not quite sure what I think yet. Still missing days gone by in many ways, and yet totally enjoying a simplier way of life. I have no doubt btw, that the heat in California is barely begun. We will see warm days and nights for at least 2 if not 3 more months yet...sigh...Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Debbie

Sandy said...

Proverbs 22:6 was a verse I
remember hearing my sweet mom
quote over and over through
the years. In our big family of
ten there was always someone my
mom was worried about. She wanted
to see her kids all become followers of the Lord.
With Seth in college now I really
miss the days of homeschooling. It
was a sweet time. You're fortunate
to have young ones still around
your learning table.
Enjoyed reading what's going on
at your house today.
Blessings,
Sandy

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Just gotta look at it like we have the WHOLE month of August still!!!

So, I Begin this Journey...... said...

Janette....you are absolutely right - tears once again!

Change is good....for everone. Though changes can be difficult- I'm realizing it makes us grow....and as the flight wings are growing back.....it will be a beautiful sight to see where my flock soars to.

Thank you -thank you- thank you!

Gwen T said...

Thank you for these encouraging words, Janette!!! We are at a different season of life than you, my seven are ages 1-12, but it's very unsettling. In the middle of a Huge Move, complete career change, going with Wycliffe will be a huge salary cut (we're not worried, God will provide, but it's still changes), and much more. Anyway, your words gave me hope and focus, so thank you!!

(I recognize some of the books in that first picture as ones on our shelves too!!) :)

Trisha said...

Janette,
I've been thinking much about seasons. Right now I feel like I'm in so many different ones all at the same time. :) May you enjoy every minute of this new school year.

Silver Strands said...

You have a great way with words. Just found you and wanted to say a quick "hi".
oxoxo
Denalee

Simple Home said...

As another long time homeschooler I know this can be both scary and exciting at the same time. I wish you the best. I'm sure your children are going to thrive. I can tell they have a wonderful mom :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Related Posts with Thumbnails