Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Legacy?



As we step into Fall, I look back over what the Lord was teaching me this past season.

We continue to celebrate the life of my mother-in-law, who turned 100 years young this past summer. We also continue to celebrate the new lives added to our family, three grandsons.

We also celebrated the entrance of family and friends into their eternal life with Jesus.  My grandmother, my uncle, my friend's mother and this last week, a young friend, left this earthly world to see their Lord and Savior.

God pressed upon my heart a message that has been compounded with each celebration of life, both the ones here on earth, but especially the ones who are standing with the Lord.

I want to share part of the Legacy these left behind.  The Legacy which touched my heart and moved me to see the reality of what is worth our time.  The common thread woven through all of these lives is how they lived out scripture.

My cousin shared this story of my Uncle.  This was one of many stories people shared, which she had never heard.  These are her words.  The following week, while reading scripture, these scriptures summed up my Uncle's life and His Legacy.  He continued to walk with the Lord, after my Aunt went to her Savior decades earlier, after a battle with cancer.  While others could have become bitter, he just grew in his walk with His Lord.

"Last night was wonderful.  I heard so many stories from folks Dad has been there for over the years.  One teenage girl came and said a few years ago she wanted to play golf.  Her parents couldn't afford the golf clubs.  Dad bought her some clubs at a garage sale.  Through tears she said she was so excited and gave him a big hug, telling him she couldn't pay him anything for the clubs.  She said he just said, "I wouldn't let you pay me anything for them, but one day you can put flowers on my grave."  She came last night with a flower arrangement and asked if she can put it on his grave tomorrow."

I know what my Uncle said is a southern saying, "you can put flowers on my grave one day."  I have heard it all my life, but what hit me more than anything was that she came back to do just that.  My Uncle had made it possible for her to play golf, and she honored her word to him. The power in this story was strong from both sides...the man who quietly gave the golf clubs, and the young woman who remembered her promise.

 More testimonies of his life - "your Dad is the reason our family got back in church." "I was out of work and your dad quietly slipped a check into my pocket."

I will just leave it there....................................................

Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them, otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.  When therefore you give alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites........................verse 4 - that your alms may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will repay you.  Matt. 6: 1-4


Legacy





10 Joining in with more words:

Farm Girl said...

What a wonderful tribute!!! It is always a great time to reflect and see all of the great things God did each season. God has been with you and in you and it is such a treat way to share His love. Have a lovely Fall.

Nancy said...

I really appreciate you taking the time to reflect on your blessings season by season. It's a wonderful example to me and others. You paid a beautiful tribute to what God has done and the many ways He has blessed you and your family....You are a jewel for sure....

Lisa said...

So beautiful! What a generous kind soul your uncle was and what a difference he made in the life of that young lady.

podso said...

What a legacy he left. And a moving story. There's so much to learn from the stories of those who have gone before us.

Sharon said...

Powerful words. What a blessing your uncle must have been. It is so true, isn't it, that we just don't know what *ripples* we're leaving behind. But, if we're mindful, and listen to the Lord's promptings, His message of love will live on after we have passed. This is the legacy that I want to plant in the lives of others - that there is nothing as important as the Good News of our Savior, Jesus...

GOD BLESS!

Vee said...

Precious, precious stories. Your uncle sounds like the salt of the earth kind of guy.

Debbie Petras said...

As I was reading this very touching post, I couldn't help but think of my own family. I am going to visit them for Thanksgiving and I so want to start to share the stories. It does seem that we hear them at funerals which is good. But wouldn't it be nice to share them along the way? I'm so happy about how your family is growing Janette. God is good!

Love you,
Debbie

Christine said...

Thank you for sharing your family memories and treasured stories.
I always think it's very special when, someone, like you shares such personal stories with us.
It lets us into what makes a family and the true meaning of love, GIVING.
Bless you and your family!

Rebecca said...

Warms my heart, Janette!
I want to leave a similar legacy...

Elizabeth Dianne said...

Beautiful post, Janette!

Related Posts with Thumbnails