Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Time to Recall




The story never gets old...it just buries itself deeper into my heart and soul.  They sacrificed everything to start a new life in a world were they could worship God as they pleased. Across a vast ocean they sailed in a  wooden boat to a new land.  The facts still amaze me as I look at God's providence over this part of our Nation's history.

  • 66 days crossing the stormy Atlantic
  • 104 arrived safely including a birth at sea
  • "Being thus arrived in a good harbor and brought safe to land," wrote Governor William Bradford,"they fell upon their knees and blessed the God of heaven, who had brought them over the vast and furious ocean and delivered them from all the perils and miseries therefor  again to set their feet on the firm and stable earth, their proper element."
  • over half of the adults died the first winter - leaving unmarked graves in fear that the Indians would see how many had died 
  • the spring brought Samoset greeting them with the English words "Welcome"
  • Squanto came speaking their language and teach them how to trap eels and plant corn
  • when the Mayflower returned, none wanted to go back
  • Fall brought harvest and celebration - Massosoit and 90 Indians came to celebrate- it was a three day feast
  • A peace treaty by word of mouth between the Pilgrims and the Indians survived 50 years
These brave and courageous men and women began our Nation. They acknowledged God's blessings through their great loss and hardship.

George Washington's 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation.
"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness."

Abraham Lincoln's 1863 Thanksgiving Proclamation
"It is the duty of nations as well as of men to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God, to confess their sins and transgressions in humble sorrow, yet with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon' and to recognize the sublime truth, announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those nations are blessed whose God is the Lord."

I excitedly recall these facts to my sons. I want them to know the foundation of our country...and the sacrifices that were paid so we could bow our hands in a prayer of thanks this season.  If we don't keep recalling, it is just one generation away from being forgotten.

Happy Thanksgiving!

23 Joining in with more words:

Always Nesting said...

Many of those facts I didn't know. Those small pieces, which we now know are huge pieces are sooooo interesting. I'm going to print to share on Thanksgiving with the family.

myletterstoemily said...

no one understands thanksgiving like a
homeschool mom! this was inspiring,
teacher.

it touched my heart that you remembered
not only how many people i hosted last
year but that we don't have my father in law
this year.

may the Lord richly bless all who sit at your
table this year with hope, faith, love, and
all the goodness in His kingdom.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Oh! My heart is leaping at your reading selection - and teaching tools - YES! What our public schools miss by refusing to allow Bradford's Christ-centered infused view of the events of the 1620's from his first person perspective! Currently I'm readying my little Parable Players in a Thanksgiving play based on Bradford's writings. Been writing and producing Thanksgiving plays from these primary sources for years and yes - I never tire of the story. Bless you!

Thank you for your kind wishes on my daughter's wedding. How will I return to real life this week??

Joy!
Kathy

Farm Girl said...

Same to you, I love those stories more and more each year. Have a lovely day with all of your family.

Lisa said...

So beautiful! This is the reason we celebrate Thanksgiving. Thank you for the recollection.:)

Debbie said...

Haven't heard all of that in a good long while...I LOVED reading about this, and your right, it NEEDS to be passed down to all generations to come.

I want to wish you and yours a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving Janette, and tell you just how much you have blessed me in this last year! I thank God for you! HUGS!

Maryann said...

I had never heard of the Washington or Lincoln proclamation so this was very interesting to read...I wonder how many of our children know this? I will be looking for a copy of this to share. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving

Sandy said...

I truly enjoyed this, Janette, and you are so right in saying we need to keep recalling these truths. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving together. You are a blessing.
Hugs~

Theresa said...

I'm so glad it was a three day feast. That way I don't feel so bad eating all the leftovers for a couple of days after Thanksgiving ;)

Leslie @ Farm Fresh Fun said...

Read to both my kids. PERFECT ~ THANK YOU!
Wishing you all a blessed Thanksgiving. I am thankful for your friendship!
xoxo
Leslie

Pom Pom said...

Thank you, Janette!
I've always loved the Thanksgiving story.

Debbie said...

Wonderful post, and you are so right that we are just one generation from it all being forgotten. The torch is in our hands. As for me and my house, we will pass it along.

I've mentioned before that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I am amazed at everything that God did to bring this people with THAT faith to this part of His world.

I want to be that kind of pilgrim.

Christine said...

I can't even imagine giving birth on the way to a new land, on the Mayflower!
I am so thankful for ALL the sacrifices and overcoming so much.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving Janette.

Sally said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all of your family. We are having a small party for Thursday but it will be a great day. Cheers!

Sharon said...

Yes! Sometimes we forget what it really took to make this a country. And we all too often forget that thanksgiving was once mandated by our country's leaders.

May it be the heartbeat of the Body of Christ, too.

Wishing you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving, Janette.

GOD BLESS!

Crown of Beauty said...

Janette, What a blessing to read this post. I purposely dropped by to wish you a blessed Thanksgiving. I took time to read your post, and really, it brought tears to my eyes. We have so much to be thankful for - in those Pilgrims who instituted the very first Thanksgiving.

This is Americas heritage. Never let it be forgotten. This, even when your White House now wants to call the traditional Christmas tree, "holiday trees." A rose is still a rose by any other name."

Much love
Lidia

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the review, Janette! The picture of the old books reined me in this morning....the words of Washington & Lincoln say it all. Today I give thanks with a grateful heart to the Holy One who has given us His Son along with ALL good things!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Debbie Petras said...

It's such fun to learn or maybe relearn things like this. I know when I'm working on homework with a group of 3-5th grade students, I get to brush up on many subjects. I always love the story of Squanto.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Love,
Debbie

Nikki (Sarah) said...

what a great post...didn't know all this. A huge happy thanksgiving.

Sue said...

A beautiful reminder, Janette, oh, how right you are, If we don't keep recalling, it is just one generation away from being forgotten. From the time that these first settlers came, and even now so much sacrifice has and is being paid that we might enjoy these freedom! Thank you for sharing and for ever so lovingly reminding me! Thank you too for teaching your children!
Hope you are having a most blessed Thanksgiving Day with family and making wonderful memories .
Hugs,
Sue

Tanna said...

I watched Peanut's Thanksgiving program with my Mom and was happy to recall all these facts. I'm glad you are passing them along to the next generation, Janette. blessings and hugs ~ tanna

Petra said...

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite days. I love remembering... among many special people and things, leaders who recognized the providence and overruling power of God and our utter dependence on Him.

Here's hoping that you and yours had a special Thanksgiving!

Beloved's Redheaded Bride said...

This was so lovely to read. It touched my heart.

Related Posts with Thumbnails