Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Thursday, February 23, 2012

Make My Meal More Colorful



Since this is the year of eating more greens, I wanted to stop and say I am not a color snob.

Today's post is to welcome other colors and boost up any dish with health benefits.  My newest favorite addition to our dishes is the pepper.  I have been buying a bag of what they call small sweet peppers.  The colors are just great.  My decorating genes are delighted to add more color to our meals.  Of course, spring will bring us even more color for our consumption...berries, watermelon, peaches...oh my!

Just a dab of butter before going into the oven to cook.  Wonderful and refreshing.

The health benefits of these little colorful giants are recorded on this site -
http://www.livestrong.com/article/445243-healing-benefits-of-bell-peppers/

Roasted broccoli with garlic and sweet peppers in a cast iron skillet.
How easy we can make new habits and enjoy new adventures in the kitchen.  

Hummus with Roasted Peppers

2 cups of chickpeas (I slow cooked a full bag of dried chickpeas and had plenty for a couple of recipes for just over a dollar)
5 - roasted peppers - I grilled them myself, after taking out the seeds
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup of tahini or sesame oil
6 Tbs. of lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all in food processor.  I love this on chips or crackers...but healthier choices would be to use vegs.

No this is not becoming a food blog....but since that is a focus in my life this year, I will be sharing what I have learned.

Are you having fun in the kitchen this year?  Sometimes we just need to add a new spice and cooking becomes fresh and exciting again. After 32 years of marriage cooking, it was time for some refreshing.

37 Joining in with more words:

Maryann said...

The tilapia looks delicious, I think you have helped me decide what to cook for dinner tonight.I have seen the little peppers at the store but was never really sure how to use them, I think I may give them a try (do you skin them after roasting?)
Now that the weather seems to be getting more "spring like" I find myself looking through catalogs and planning all the wonderful veggies I can grow in my garden
Thanks for sharing this

Debbie said...

Good morning! I have been using the peppers for almost a year now and I just love them! I have them soo many ways including just fresh with my lunch, scrambled in my eggs and I LOVE them roasted or grilled. Soo good. I have made a broccoli lover out of hubby too, haha. Have a good day Janette! Oh, and thanks for the sight. Still checking it all out...I've been soo busy these last couple of days. I am about to give up on the gluten...just not better...sigh.

Mary said...

looks yummy, how long do you cook the tilapia? we need to eat more fish, but i am so unsure how to cook it.

Theresa said...

Looks delish! I love red, orange and yellow peppers. I just made a big pan of sausage and peppers this past weekend. I also like them roasted with zucchini and onion drizzled with olive oil and basil.

Sandy said...

You are eating healthy! Did you know that cultured organic butter is also really healthy for you? I'm sure you know to stay far away from margarine. It's one of the worst things to eat.Growing up on a farm, I began to love all vegetables at a very early age and all the beautiful peppers have been a favorite ever since. We
eat them on a daily basis in one form or another and look forward to growing them again in our garden soon.

Unknown said...

I love those little peppers. I buy them and just eat them raw with a little ranch dip. That dish with the fish looks yummy. My hubby is allergic to fish so I will have to try this on a night when I have something else for the rest of the gang and I can make that for me. :0
I finally mailed your package-hope you get it today or tomorrow the latest.
Have a great day-I am off to PT, only 4 more visits I think. I will be glad-I am getting tired of going 3 times a week-it really cuts right in to my whole day.
Love ya

Crickit said...

I buy the small colorful bags of the sweet peppers also.
I eat them like carrots.

Your food dishes look wonderful!

Skoots1moM said...

i'm with crickit...i buy these and eat them like carrots, so yummy.
great dipped in hummus, pesto, or salsa
like their sweet, cold crunchiness
;)

Vee said...

Oh I love those sweet peppers and they are so pretty, too. I just noticed frozen tilapia for the first time in our market earlier this week...not sure that I'll be trying it as I like haddock just fine, but they were a better price than the haddock. Variety is the spice of life and so I think what you're doing is great!

Sarah Jane said...

I need your fish recipe!! All of this looks so yummy. I too have had so much fun adding color and cooking with fresh fruits and veggies. The aromas are enticing alone, and then the taste is icing on the cake! =) Kenny and I made black bean quesadillas the other night... SOOO good! And then I made a spinach and strawberry salad to go with it. God definitely gave us a wonderful array of colors, flavors, and textures when He created plants. What an awesome Creator!

Cindy said...

I love humus so I'll have to try this recipe. I also am trying to incorporate more colorful veggies in my family's diet. I do like veggies...I really do...it's just that opening a bag of chocolate chips is easier than cleaning and cutting veggies! lol! Just kidding. Well, sort of.

Sally said...

I'm with the others, I love these peppers right off the veggie tray, raw. Emilybites.com is a new site I have found where she cooks healthier. I've tried several of her recipes. hungrygirl.com talks more about healthy off the shelf options but has plenty of recipes too. Eating well is a journey, may as well enjoy it!

Nancy said...

Thank you Thank you for these receipts....I don't like looking up these "good for you" dinners so my friend you have added to my health by doing it for me.....
All of it looks delicious and I can't wait to try them.....

By sharing you are blessing me so much....You really are encouraging me more than you will ever know....

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

we are sure on the same page... I am INTO colors of food these days, trying to run by the packaged food aisles and straight to the produce!! Pardon me while I tilt my halo back into place. :)

Seriously though, it seems to be the time to DO what I say I want to do, and eating and healthy choices are right up at the top of the list I am working on.

So here's to peppers and hummus and broccoli and the whole green and healthy thing!

camp and cottage living said...

Wowsa! You're making me hungry with all that beautiful looking foods! I love the flavors of the peppers, and they sure do pretty up a dish nicely too.

Karen said...

looks to yummy ~ my bunch are not fond of peppers. :( I love them though. Oh, and your food pics look great!

Farm Girl said...

It all looks yummy. I am glad you are cooking that way. Yeah, I think with me after 32 years it does get to be sort of a slump. I need to liven up too, cooking I mean.
Thankfully my kids are all old enough they like different things.
I love your recipe. I should make it because I love chickpeas.
Thanks

Lynn said...

What lovely bright peppers! We grew a bunch last year (I think my husband planted 18 pepper plants :o!) and I learned from someone's blog that you can sliver them up and put 'em in the freezer for later. So, like you, I have been enjoying my multi-colored peppers. They do add such an appealing color to whatever dish you put them in.

Pom Pom said...

Hi Janette!
Yummy! I've been intent on roasting some veggies. Maybe I will this weekend! Yours look beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeanette - I just had to pin this on my board of GF recipes. Looks wonderful! I have never done beans from the natural dry state - only bought canned - and try to buy organic and minimally processed at that. I shall have to try the soaking as you suggest.

Now, about that spinach and feta crepe thingy you pinned - how can I do that with a GF crepe - is there even such a thing? It looked delicious!!

Joy!
Kathy

Tanna said...

I am going to give that tilapia a try like that, Janette! I like it in a non-stick skillet sprayed with a touch of olive oil Pam... seasoned with Tony Cachere's (high sodium, though), a few minutes on each side then a s.l.i.v.e.r. of butter when it is done. Simple and fast. Yum! I look forward to trying your recipe! Thank you. blessings ~ tanna

Debbie Petras said...

That meal looks so good and healthy. I'm impressed! I love tilapia and the fresh veggies do look good too. Greg's been doing most of the cooking lately but hopefully I'll have more time on spring break.

Love you,
Debbie

Unknown said...

Love the Tilapia dish. I might try this one over the weekend.

As a follower I am certain that I will learn much from you.

Cindy

Petra said...

You totally inspire me to eat healthier! Thank you!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Healthy = Gorgeous Colors...I love that!

AnnaBannana said...

eating healthy makes me feel healthy and your plates and recipes look awesome. You're motivating me not to be lazy but to take the time and cook real food.

no spring chicken said...

Beautiful and colorful equals healthy and delicious! I think that people spend way too much money on health books. If you just eat as natural as possible eating as many colors and textures (naturally, lollipops don't count) as possible, I think we could simplify the whole health thing.

I absolutely LOVE hummus. Thanks for the recipe. :)

Blessings, Debbie

Jeanette Levellie said...

Love the colorful peppers, and tilapia is a favorite, too. Thanks for sharing; I am signing up to follow--would love you to visit my blog, too!

Happy Weekend,
Jen

Crown of Beauty said...

I love baked, grilled, steamed, or fried tilapia. It is very good fish... and hummus, thank you for the recipe. It is good with pita bread.

SInce you're into vegies and healthy food this year, want to ask you if you care to know about the wonders of kefir?

I make my own from some kefir grains given by a friend who brought them home from your country. I have been taking kefir for nearly a year now. It has done me wonders.

Love the pictures here. Sweet peppers, we only get them in green and red here.

I rejoice with you over the new discoveries you are making.

Love
Lidia

Sue said...

Tilapia is one of my favs. This dish looks so delicious. I am trying to incorporate more fish this year. Peppers are so good for you, and we all know how broccoli is too. Janette, I think Dr. Oz would be so proud of you with these healthy dishes.~smile~
Thank you for your sweet thoughts and prayers, it has been a challenging year so far, but God always remains so faithful. I am feeling so much better.
Hugs,
Sue

Always Nesting said...

Yum. I love those adorable little peppers also. They are so good in almost any dish.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Your laundry room makeover is fun and colorful. Since I'm vegetarian, I cook with lots of beans, lentils and veges. Hummus is easily available here anywhere we go. I'm sure your at-home version is much better than that usually found in the grocery stores in the States. Hope you are having a great day. Tammy

Catherine said...

Dear Janette, Wonderful! Color makes everything more delightful and delicious. Very good and glad to see you are listening and trying. That is all one can ask. I am sure you are feeling the benefits of these changes. I know first hand that changing ones diet is difficult and you may find yourself feeling hungry, but one day at a time. Blessings my dear friend, Catherine xo

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

I love those sweet peppers. And a wonderful idea to zest up brocoli, something healthier than butter and sauces. Yum!

Sharon said...

I've never been much of a cook - but I'm a pretty good eater. And I love peppers! You had some wonderfully great ideas here, Janette. And I agree, when we start adding the beautiful "colors" of fruits and vegies, we get healthy benefits in addition to the eye-pleasing variety.

That tilapia recipe looks great - I'm wondering if my husband can adapt it to the barbecue!

YUM - YUM!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, what good looking food! I'm going to plant my first herb garden this spring and I am so excited about having fresh herbs to use in my cooking. Have a great new week!

Debbie said...

It all looks delicious! I have read that the more variety in color you have on your plate, the better it is. I absolutely love the hummus recipe and will be trying it. We grow our own peppers from spring to early winter so I'm anxious to use them.

YUM. YUM. YUM.

Related Posts with Thumbnails