Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Monday, August 15, 2011

Time to Run and Set Down My Suitcases


Google image

I want to run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I don't want to be encumbered. I don't want to be afraid.
 I want to live life to the fullest.

Recently I have had an excitement in my spirit.  I am not sure what it all means, but I do know that I don't want to be weighed down...I want to be free to run.

The closing song at the end of my post Suitcases by Dara McLean just seemed to speak what is brewing in my heart.  Time to set down the suitcases.  I have set down suitcases along the way during my life, but I think I have turned back and picked some up.

Some possible suitcases that can weigh us down :

  • FearFor God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7 
  • Feelings of Intimidation or Inferiority - "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt 
  • Lack of or Inadequate Education - Lack of or uncompleted education didn't stop these people - Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Dave Thomas (Wendy's founder), Bobby Flay(high school drop-out, Food Network guru)
  • Age - Mary Kay began her company at age 47,  Moses was 80, The Colonel started KFC at age 65, Sarah was in her 90's when she gave birth to the promised one... Issac.
  • Resources/Money - 2 Corinthians 9:8
    And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything; you may have an abundance for every good deed;
  • Excuses - post on this pest (last October), link here and here - I think this suitcase probably weighs most of us down the most....it has to go.
  • Lack of Faith - for we walk by faith, not by sight. II Corn. 5:7
  • many more that can only be revealed through prayer, I am sure you can add to this list.
 Now to let the Lord's hand release the hold these suitcases have on my life, so that I can run the race set before me.

Here is the catchy song which encouraged me to look at the load I need to set down. You can hear it on You Tube (it is a toe tapping tune)...here are the words. (don't miss the end after the song)


SUITCASES Lyrics
Dara MacLean
How can you move when they’re weighing you down
What can you do when you’re tied to the ground
Yeah
You carry your burdens
Heavy like gravity
Just let them go now
There’s freedom in relief
You can’t run when you’re holding suitcases
It’s a new day
Throw away your mistakes and
Open up your heart
Lay down your guard
You don’t have to be afraid
Just breathe
Your love can be lifted
There’s a better way when you know you’re forgiven
Open up your heart
Lay down your guard
You don’t have to be afraid
Can you imagine what it’s like to be free
Oh oh oh
We’ll send them backpackin’
They’re now what you need
Vending your troubles
By the side of the street
Just let them go now
Believe me
You can’t run when you’re holding suitcases
It’s a new day
Throw away your mistakes and
Open up your heart
Lay down your guard
You don’t have to be afraid
Just breathe
Your love can be lifted
There’s a better way when you know you’re forgiven
Open up your heart
Lay down your guard
You don’t have to be afraid
There’s nothing holding you back now
Just run
You can’t run when you’re holding suitcases
It’s a new day
Throw away your mistakes and
Open up your heart
Lay down your guard
You don’t have to be afraid
Just breathe
Your love can be lifted
There’s a better way when you know you’re forgiven
Open up your heart
Lay down your guard
You don’t have to be
You don’t have to be afraid





google image
I hope you set down your suitcases and run!  Meet you at the finish line!

36 Joining in with more words:

Debbie said...

I want to print this post and put on my desk for a while. I also want to make a list of all the suitcases I'm carrying and figure out how to give them the heave ho. My major one is FEAR. I also have that fibro pain making its presence known too.

I want to run, too.

Debbie Petras said...

I'm setting down my suitcases too Janette! You always seem to have such a way with words; love it. No more fear and insecurity. It's time to trust our Lord in all things.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

camp and cottage living said...

Janette
This is so inspiring! We all have "baggage" we need to release.
I really want to do this too!

Unknown said...

Oh I hate it when I carry baggage around that weighs me down and sometimes I am even know I am doing it but fear if I let go what will happen keeps me hanging on. PS, I keep forgetting to e-mail and tell you yes I am trying HS with Alyssa this year again. Praying it goes better, I think it has too since we already know more this year of what we need to work on than last year.
Lets run soon and meet. I will come your way-tell me when might be a good time. I need to let you of so many things and trust HIM-thanks for once again writing a wonderful post that touched my heart.
Hugs-love ya
Jill

Christine said...

My big, awkward, heavy suitcase is
FEAR! I'm leaving it right where it belongs and running away as fast as I can.

Shanda said...

Age, fear, insecurities. I do have suitcases I need to lay down. I don't want to be hindered either. Those things have to be laid at the feet of Jesus. I'm ready to get moving too! Thank you for this.

Tanna said...

I can FEEL your excitement, Janette!! It is contagious and I love it! Run on, Janette! Run on! blessings ~ tanna

Debbie said...

Oh Janette did I ever need to see this post this morning...I am packing WAY too many bags for Mel's, haha....Such a good analogy. I DO need to let go of soo many extra suitcases though. Especially fear...and anxiety. Don't need them, don't want them, won't miss them. I am going to keep these thoughts in my mind as I get ready for my trip these next couple of days.... Hope you have a good day! HUGS

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

This one covers it all Janette.. for all of us. And somehow I know that fear is the weight that is behind most of these suitcases we carry. One huge plus for getting older is actually seeing that all of life is under His control, and being less afraid to go for it! I love this whole post, and the suitcases pictured leaves me with a good visual reminder! :)

Go... run! Put em down! ... me too.

xo

Farm Girl said...

So true and I have had those same thoughts, I might as well just jump into the race and do all of the things I was afraid of??? Why was I afraid, of what people might think?? So as I have learned through blogging just do it and leave the rest to God.
Thanks, I am packing up and putting those suitcases far away from me today.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Debbie above in your first comment - I need to print this post and place in front of my face every morning! You hit every single one of my buttons with your list. It's been a weighty summer lugging all those suitcases around. I've been battling - and feel like I need to get on the other side of this thing because my summer is pretty much over - for all intents and purposes. School starts for me next week and I've never felt so ill equipped for the task as I do right now. God has been speaking to me day by day in a big way - your post is part of that string of texts between He and me.
Thanks for your enthusiasm and openness to share!
Joy!
Kathy

Catherine said...

Dear Janette, I am grateful to have read this post. It is the boost and encouragement that is sorely needed. I know that with the Lord there are no accidents and it is purposeful that I read this today. Blessings, Catherine xo

Ginny Marie said...

I need to remember that suitcase of age doesn't need to wear me down! I still have much I can accomplish in my life! Now, off to listen to the song...

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

For some reason the video is not available in my country -- that's the message I got when I tried to listen to the song. Phooey! :/

When I turned 40, I started letting go of all sorts of baggage ... I'm sure I still have work to do, but I certainly don't let things weigh me down. Lord knows my life is so much easier when I consider the burdens that others have to carry.

Hope your day is great. Tammy

moreofhim said...

Wow! I needed this post! I carry so many suitcases and I definitely need to set them down! Thank you for sharing this...I'm bookmarking it so I can come back and remind myself. :)

God bless you - Julie

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thank you, good thoughts worth remembering and acting upon.

Crickit said...

Great post and Great song! I too carry some "heavy" suitcases around with me. It really is time to set them down and run!

I will join you at the "finish line"! :)

Sharon said...

This was great, Janette. I'm not kidding, sometimes I think my suitcases are *steamer trunks* - they're huge and cumbersome, and a pain in the neck to move around everywhere I go...

My biggest Samsonite would be FEAR. Hmm...I just saw that Samsonite has Samson in it...maybe I just need to pray for some of that Samson strength to throw this FEAR suitcase in the trash!

You run, Janette - and I'll do my best to put on my shoes and keep up with you!

GOD BLESS!

Marsha Young said...

Janette,
Good for you! Your post on this topic reminds me of a very good book on the same subject by Max Lucado entitled Traveling Light.

You might enjoy it. I did.
Blessings to you - Marsha

Susannah said...

Excellent words of encouragement, Janette... especially for an "old dog" like me!

I need to be reminded frequently that God doesn't know the word for "retire," and He expects us to run this race called life until we breathe our last breath.

One simple practice that helps keep me on track is getting enough SLEEP! I notice all kinds of bad attitudes (heavy suitcases) weigh me down when I'm exhausted. Amazing how a little rest can renew my body AND my spirit.

So how are you? Have you unpacked all your boxes (& suitcases), finished painting, and hung all your artwork?

We're in now and starting to feel settled. Pop by Chrysalis for a few pics of our new home!

Hugs, e-Mom

elizabeth said...

Love this post!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

What an excellent post, Janette! I do believe you could present this speech at a women's conference! Women of Faith?? It would be perfect!!

mo said...

Wonderful analogy, especially these days.

*hugs*

mo

Anonymous said...

This is perfect, Janette. Just this morning I was setting some down, including greed which so easily sneaks up on us while we blog jumping from perfect magazine-like page to page, over and over. Another bulky one is worry. That one is like the ol'suitcase switcheroo--we trade trust for worry without noticing until we walk a few steps and realize how much heavier it is.

Got my running shoes on. See ya!

petra said...

Great reminder! I've got my running shoes back on. See ya there! :-)

Sandy said...

Got to set all those suitcases
down and never pick them back
up again, which I seem prone
to do. Great word, Janette!
Blessings~

Anonymous said...

Janette,
What a thought provoking post. I'm thinking about suitcases and unloading them now.
Thanks so much.
And also - thanks for posting the new picture of you! You look terrific!

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

Great analogy. We are sometimes so loaded down by stuff that we can barely move, let alone run. As others have said, it does all boil down to trusting God in all things. Could we ever do as Jesus told his disciples? Do not carry money, or cloaks or extra shoes...Would be a simple way to live. Not too practical with a family, but the general idea is inviting. No more suitcases. Thanks for a thought provoking post!

LeeAnn@Encouragement Is Contagious said...

What an awesome uplifting post and an awesome song, Janette!!! You really are a gifted writer.

Excited about the excitement you are feeling! God is up to something good for Y♥U. Can't wait to see it all happen.

♥Lee Ann

Patty Marker said...

I needed to hear this one today. I have been feeling the opposite of light the past few days. I do believe I've picked up some excess baggage. Thank you for reminding me to unburden myself of the heavy load I'm carrying.

Bethany said...

I'll be there! Great post, I enjoyed it.

Vee said...

I love a good analogy. Seems that they stick with me better. Yes, I know that feeling of wanting to be more free to do and accomplish. I'll find the link and follow it so I can bounce along here for a few minutes.

Rebecca said...

Great imagery in this song and post (I ♥ed the first photo!)

Your list and the matching Scriptures reminds me of the Bible study we're doing - Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free!

May the writing of it, reinforce your own resolve...and the truth continue to set ALL of us free.

Amy@Make me a Mary said...

Oh, how I needed this! May we ALL put down our 1,000 lbs. of baggage and race toward the finish line. It's a race we already know we'll win!

Elizabeth Dianne said...

Great post, Janette--I fight fear and the "age" one is getting me now--yea, I need to lay some of those down. Thanks!

myletterstoemily said...

well said! it's the new "saddle up your
horses!" i sort of feel like i have been
in an out of a suitcase a LOT.

nothing new at my place, just wanted
to check in on you. don't go anywhere
too far!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails