Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Thursday, September 9, 2010

Senior Year, Hope Chest and His Wisdom










The summer prior to my senior year my mother took us on my last family vacation.  She  hooked-up our pop-up camper and drove across country with four children.  We traveled from Texas to California in three weeks.  I enjoyed the trip, but my moodiness about leaving my "permanent boyfriend" behind would get on my mother's nerves.  She swore she would never take me again....and she didn't.  Dad stayed home to work on his business.

Summer  also brought Drill Team camps.  We trained at Strutter camp in San Marcos, Texas, as well as an additional camp at the University of Texas.  I performed a duet with my Co-Captain Kathy, tuxedos and canes were our props in "New York, New York" and we came in second.  My "permanent boyfriend" was now a full time representative for a leading printing company. He would schedule his travel around my camps to come and enjoy lunch with me on the river in San Marcos.  Our team  came home with countless ribbons and trophies preparing us for my final year as Captain of the Steppers.

 Strutting onto the practice field  adorned in hot curlers, (which would be traded out with pick sponge for dancing), leotard, white tennis shoes, and whistle hanging around my neck by 7:30 am, I would take charge of the Steppers.  I could be heard through the halls of our high school counting 8's on the practice field and then enter class as quite as a mouse. High kicks, props, jazz hands, ripples, new dances, stand routines, and getting us all in time, would take hours of my week. My Senior Year would be exhilarating!!! This year brought two performances on the football field of the University of Texas.  We  performed in the Battle of the Bands and finished up the football season on the same field. I stuffed all the Steppers in the family orange Honda and drive them around the parking lot...we looked like the circus clowns.
Stepper obligations ended with red roses and the girls made two posters, one of my "permanent boyfriend", whom they all knew, and one of me from the dance "New York, New York". ( I still have them both and we now laugh over how young we looked)  These girls will always hold a special place in my heart!
FOOTBALL - My high school won District...I have heard it hasn't won since.  Friday night was high school football and Saturday I would attend with my "permanent boyfriend" the University of Texas football games, we had season tickets.  By Sunday I never had a voice from all the cheering through both football games.

SAT test was taken...then we didn't prep for the test, we just showed up on a Saturday and took it.  My application was sent into the University of Texas and my acceptance letter came by the first of the year.

Spring held half day classes, a job at Hickory Farms, performances at basketball games and anticipation of graduation.
I made my dress!! Also pictures from my grandmothers.
In my "maturity"  girlish mind I wanted an engagement ring.  In my "permanent boyfriend's" maturity, there was no way!  I thought having an engagement ring for my senior year would just be TOO COOL!
Instead, he would travel with me to my grandmother's house for Christmas and buy an appropriate Christmas gift. He was accepted by my whole extended family.  My grandmother would pull him aside and say, "Now there are all my granddaughters and if it doesn't work out with Janette than you can have your pick.  I want you in the family."  She loved him to the day God took her home and he honored her love by speaking and singing at her funeral.
I graduated in May 1979,  with a class of over 300 students.   I looked forward to my freshman year at the University of Texas and harrassed my "permanent boyfriend" about an engagement ring.
He suggested that I date around during college so that there would never be any regrets...I SAID "NO WAY!"
My graduation gift was a walnut, cedar-lined hope chest...can you tell where my thoughts were?  My neighbor gave me my first item, a wooden rolling pin.  It started getting filled up!

My journey is almost complete...next week will tell what happened next....no more posts after that.  Thanks for joining me on this journey......it has been more than I could have imagined.
Linking and completing my post with Mommy Piggy Tales.

20 Joining in with more words:

Farm Girl said...

That is so sweet, and I got a hope chest too, and started filling it up but my brothers called it my "hopeless chest." I love all of the pictures and I am looking forward to your next installment. Love the hair,
I ran across my senior picture the other day, maybe someday on a slow blogging day I will post it. We had the same hair.:)

Debbie said...

WOW...again I am soo impressed...Performing on the University of Texas field was really big...how exciting that must have been for all of you. Your senior year sounds soo good. What wonderful memories you have. I still can't believe you worked such an older "permanent boyfriend"!! You were obviously much more grounded and mature than I was my senior year, haha...you were dating a full blown man, haha
Obviously, he was the mature one looking out for you etc. I really have enjoyed hearing all of thiS Janette. I hope you aren't going to leave me hanging, haha, WHEN did you get that engagement ring? Have a wonderful day my friend, HUGS, Debbie

Theresa said...

Love that post, Janette. The girls must have envied you! Can't wait to hear the next post...hopefully it includes an engagement ring.

Rebecca said...

SO fun. What a lot of livin' you packed into that senior year.

Janna said...

Woo hoo! looking good Janette.

I love the contrast of taking charge of the steppers but then entering class as quiet as a mouse.

Ha! Love your Grandma's comment to your permanent boyfriend.

myletterstoemily said...

your photos are so beautiful. you remind
me of one of my favorite actresses, jeanne
tripplehorn.

my grandad gave me a hope chest for
graduation, too! now it's in my daughter's
room. . . filled with my stuff.

i love these flashbacks. you lived a FULL
life!

Susannah said...

You're a real beauty! It's so fun to see you in those photos with your husband as a young man. Goodness, you've know each other a long time!

Makes me think back to my high school sweetheart, whom I did NOT marry. Joyous times...

You are blessed!

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

I just read these comments Janine, and you know... you DO look like J.Tripplehorn!! For sure you look like a movie star!! And performing at U.T.... my hubby is going to LOVE it!! :) Go Horns!!! :)

Marcy said...

oh i have similar pictures too! almost the same outfits! ha! i hate it that our pictures are all so "dated" now. but actually, i'm thankful the styles have changed. i LOVE the changing styles of clothing from year to year, so i think we should love how we change year to year, too! older, wiser, and more beautiful inside...and out! wearing strength and dignity now :)

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh!!! love how many had "hope chest"...how funny!
As for Jeanne Tripplehorn...I had to look her up...what a compliment...you are tooooooooo sweet.
Marcy...of course our uniforms looked like yours that is what we were copying!!!
I love looking back at the old photos, my mind goes right back there...the style thing doesn't bother me at all!
Thanks for all your precious comments....too fun!!!!
Stay tune to find out on that "engagement ring"!!!

Ginny Marie said...

My mom had a wonderful cedar-lined hope chest as well...it is still in my dad's bedroom. I always wanted one of my own. Perhaps I can still get one someday, even though many of my hopes have been fulfilled!

I also remember pouting about a boyfriend or two...but I actually was mature by the time I started dating my husband...I was 31, and he was 35!

I'm sad that our journey on memory lane is almost over, but you can count on me still coming to visit your blog!

Gretchen said...

Once again, I LOOOOOVE all the pictures, Janette! I'm super eager to hear what happened next in your story!

Cindy said...

This was fun to read. I remember my senior year too, with good memories.

Suzy said...

I've enjoyed this series of stories so much. Sounds like you have a very happy time growing up!

Eos Mom said...

I love reading your stories, so happy and eventful! Sounds like a great senior year, I'm looking forward to next week's final chapter.

Anonymous said...

After seeing these pictures, I have to say I can see a lot of Bill in your kids. Loved all these pictures.....

Angie

Simple Home said...

I loved reading about your senior year. The pictures are wonderful. I really enjoyed the ones with you and your "permanent boyfriend". You made the dress too! I used to do that when I was in jr. high and high school, but I don't make clothes too often anymore.
Thanks for sharing these wonderful stories. You're memory is better than mine :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

LeeAnn@Encouragement Is Contagious said...

Ah Janette, I love hearing about your life. It does help us all to know you better. Oh my goodness, girly you were and still are beautiful!!!

Loved what your grandma said to your boyfriend about being sure to take any of the other granddaughters if it didn't work out with you! She sounds like a very cool and fun grandma!

I think you and I have a lot in common. I was on our drill team and also a cheerleader in High School. Those are such wonderful memories. Just wish my body still looked and felt the same as back then or even just a little close! ha

Anne said...

This is my first time visiting you from group 1, but I really enjoyed your stories.I was color-guard and have similar memories of camps and practice fields in the early morning! Also had a slightly older boyfriend who became my husband (my post this week).

Leslie @ Farm Fresh Fun said...

Oh girlfriend, you are so beautiful! What a wonderful life you've had!!! I know The Lord has great things ahead of you as well. Some things change, but some things never do... Congratulations on ALL your accomplishments - including hosting a greek party and mommying a preschooler! ;-P Hope the new school routine has gotten easier.
(((hugs)))
Leslie

Related Posts with Thumbnails