Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Sunday, September 19, 2010

Kids Are Like Kites

My fall semester is ending in a three-week test like my son.  I have ripped apart the footstool, painted the wood, sanded down the rocker and started painting.  My calligraphy is going slow....need to practice more. I read through the aromatherapy book...interesting, will need more time for that study.  I also read through the new authors I was exploring.  My favorite by far was reading through parts of "Forever, Erma" by Erma Bombeck.

There is just something to be said about reading the wisdom of seasoned women.  I found some interesting things in the younger writers' books, but they really left me with, well, you haven't lived long enough yet!  Erma made me smile, cry, nod my head and a desire to set with her over a cup of tea.  There is such  truth to scripture saying the "older women are to teach the younger women", and yes, I now find myself in the category of older women, but I still have so much to learn.
So I want to share one of her treasures....just in part.
Erma is talking to a woman who is mourning her daughter leaving home.  The daughter is 24!  She writes this piece encouraging mothers to know when their job is over.

"I see children as kites. You spend a lifetime trying to get them off the ground.  You run with them until you're both breathless...they crash...you add a longer tail...they hit the rooftop....you pluck them out of the spout.  You patch and comfort, adjust and teach.  You watch them lifted by the wind and assure them that someday they'll fly.
  Finally they are airborne, but they need more string so you keep letting it out.  With each twist of the ball of twine, there is a sadness that goes with the joy, because the kite because more distant, and somehow you know it won't be long before that beautiful creature will snap the lifeline that bound you together and soar as it was meant to soar - free and alone.
   Only then do you know that you did your job".

Thank you Erma...I passed my three-week test.  Thanks for the advice on parenting, empty-nest, marriage, holidays, housekeeping, family, friends and aging. Thanks to so many seasoned women who share their wisdom daily through their blogs. May we all learn to pass the baton to the younger generation as we release our kites!

19 Joining in with more words:

Farm Girl said...

Thanks for sharing that, I have always loved Erma Bombeck and started reading her when I was still in High school. I would buy a book at Christmas time. But now her wisdom is so great, I sit and cry through every page. It is all true. I am so glad that you read it for me.
It is profound to compare them to kites. We would never want them to stay home forever would we? I am so glad we had a large family and I still have four at home. What if I had not read The Way Home by Mary Pride and stopped at two? I would be alone now.
I would not have had the laughter that still fills my house.
I think I need a four year old too.
:) You are so blessed.
That is a very sweet post. Have a lovely week. Kudos on your 3 weeks!

alicia said...

Thanks for sharing that passage. It's so beautifully written and true.

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

I think I am one of those 'older ones'... I pray that I have learned enough at this point about me, about life, and especially about who God is, to pass along a word of encouragement to those of you who still have babes in the nest! I know I love the way your heart thinks Janette!! :) You are blessing others with your words..., I'm one of them!

Anonymous said...

Erma Bombeck - now there's a great, call-it-like-it-is writer. I remember being a young mother and being surrounded by seasoned moms at church. They were the best role models I could ask for and helped mold me, as I learned by example, how to parent. Sadly my own mother has her "struggles" and I knew I couldn't be like her or I'd destroy my family. Now that my children have flown or getting ready to fly, I'm so proud that their skies are clear.

Cindy said...

I enjoyed this post! Erma Bombeck was always a favorite.

Sandy said...

Thanks, Janette, I really
enjoyed this post. I have
always liked Erma. She used
to do a little funny spot on
Good Morning America many
years ago that always started
my day with such laughter.
Blessings,
Sandy

BECKY said...

You've got me all teared up again! Thank you, sweet Janette, for sharing this today! I, too, love Erma Bombeck, and so enjoy learning and gleaning wisdom when it is interspersed with humor! What a delight!

Hope you have a lovely week, my friend!
Blessings and joy,
Becky

myletterstoemily said...

dear janette,

as you know, that is exactly where i am,
letting out more and more string! we
were preparing for another trip yesterday,
and i found myself grumbling about it,
saying, "i just want to stay home with the
kids . . " gulp, there are no kids.

luckily, i didn't say that out loud.

let's go fly a kite!

love,
lea

highheeledlife said...

What an inspiring post.. I come visiting way of myletterstoemily and her mention of your post.

I'm so happy to have visited you have a wonderful blog filled with wisdom and inspiration!! Hugs... HHL

www.attitudeIVlife.blogspot.com

Susannah said...

I love Erma Bombeck! Sometimes I quote her on Twitter. She makes me laugh!

I love your analogy of the kites. So true. It's been hard to let them go, but my children are so lovely as adults. I pray I have many years still ahead to enjoy them on a peer level. My biggest fear is missing out on that aspect of parenting. (Completely unfounded.)

Congratulations on passing your three-week test, Mom!

Vee said...

Yes, thank you for sharing that. Believe it or not, I am going to copy it down and leave it with my nearly 101 year old grandmother because she has not yet learned to "let go." Truth is, she may never. Ha!

And thank you for visiting via Lea's today. It is always a privilege to meet a "new to me" blogger. Besides, "Janette" is one of my favorite names.

Simple Home said...

I always read her column in the paper when I was growing up. She was so funny. It sounds like she's pretty insightful too. I'm going to have to find one of her books. Our church just did a series on this. Do you think God is trying to get my attention here on letting go? :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Leslie @ Farm Fresh Fun said...

You are indeed a wise (young) woman! I learn so much each visit here and always leave uplifted. Erma would be proud of you!
hugs,
Leslie

Marcy said...

oh wow...i'm thinking i want my kids to be like balloons that are tethered to my wrist so i can at least look at them as they blow in the wind - ha! kites disappear forever!

Debbie said...

Oh Janette I have been soo busy these last couple of weeks it has been hard to keep up on my blogs. I've so missed it, and you. This post is JUST WHERE I AM TONIGHT. In fact I came on here with the intention of writing a post about it (or attempting to anyway) but decided to do a little visiting first and came upon your post. It is just sooo true. I struggle so with my daughter not being near me anymore. It probably seems weird to people as I have 4 children, but it is my daughter who I am always referring to. I think there is several reasons for that. First, the boys all live near enough to me that I see them all frequently. They are all here for birthday celebrations and major life events and even spend most holidays with me. But second of all she was soo much younger than the boys that for years and years it was just the 3 of us. You will have a similiar experience with your youngest, though there is even more of an age spread between yours. My last two are 6 years apart. But she is also my only daughter and we are just soo close. It is soo hard to not have her around. She and her husband were both here this week-end. Actually Mel came on Wed., and Mike did not arrive until Sat. The wedding was Sun and they left this morning so he was barely here. But as I watched then reunite after 3 days apart, (so exicted and pleased to see each other you would think it had been a month instead of a couple of days, haha) it struck me yet again that she is right where she is suppose to be. With her husband who loves her and whom she adores. Her life is with him, and not me anymore. And I really wouldn't even want to change it. I love that she is happy. I just wish she was happy, just living closer to me. sigh....

Thanks for this...Don't ya just love Erma?

Hugs to you,

Debbie

Suzy said...

Great post...Erma was such a "down to earth" lady, and I love her humor.

Farming On Faith said...

I so enjoyed catching up with your blog today. Life has been so busy here lately.
You have a lovely day!

Stacy@hiswaynotmine said...

Hi Janette,
Thank you so much for this post today. I'm a bit behind in stopping by to say hi, and now am leaving encouraged through your post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and wisdom, for sharing Erma's quote and for always leaving me refreshed and encouraged. I will be meditating on the comparison even more as I look at my children and think about equipping, teaching and encouraging them to soar high!

Much love,
Stacy

Cascia Talbert said...

That is a very beautiful message!

Related Posts with Thumbnails