Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Writing is on the WALL

I haven't cross-stitched in years....I would need very powerful glasses to do this again.  

As I meander through old items, deciding again what to keep and what to trash, I am noticing that I have always had words on my walls.  I first began this talking wall journey with cross-stitching.  I don't think I ever cross-stitched anything that didn't have words.  Then I bought pictures with words.  I also dreamed of our old home, which had those wonderful 24-foot walls, speaking out quotes, scriptures and words hand-inscribed up and down.  That dream wasn't fulfilled....but let's say I am drawn to the new vinyl letters like a bee to honey. I also expressed some thoughts through vinyl in our previous rent house, and they do remove easily.

The wall was painted down to hide it's worn days of welcoming people up the stairs.
Here is my wall of words!  This wall is on the landing of our stairs.  It isn't visible to the casual visitors to our home...you have to be invited up the stairs.  The vinyl words...and yes, I will be adding some on the side walls...speak to you among the stories in each of the family pictures.

My collection of two-year-old pictures are mixed in with pictures of our ever-growing family, both past and present.

The vinyl letters were bought at half-price and all the frames were under $5.00 a piece...so an economical way to decorate a boring wall.

I even changed out the light...yes I did it myself...electrical wiring and all!
Everything looks a little better with some light on it.

 As my family descends the stairs to start their day, they are greeted by my mirror with the word "Courage".(past post on making mirror)
This is an unusual place for a mirror, but it seems to remind us all...check out what you look like, see your heritage behind you on the wall and face the world with His Courage.


So there is my wall of words and my family.  It tells the story of two people who joined in marriage 31 years ago and what the Lord has done.  The wall still has space...the story continues.

31 Joining in with more words:

Alice said...

I love it! I especially like the courage mirror;)

Farm Girl said...

I like that and it looks very good. How are you doing? I have been praying for you and you have been on my mind and heart.
I am enjoying watching as you fix up this house, and I am so thankful that God has given back to you something that you loved so much.
I hope you have a wonderful day.

Debbie said...

I LOVE this. I have always loved "word" pictures etc. too. I have them going in this home too. And I could have even more. I love seeing how you are decorating everything. Hope you have a wonderful long week-end! HUGS

Canadagirl said...

I wished I could find some vinyl words like that. I have been collecting frames (for a few years now) here and there and want to paint them all black and put pictures of the family in them on a wall like yours. I need to make that happen this year. [o= ( and stop procrastinating) Thanks for sharing your picture wall. It is very inspiring my friend.

Blessings and ((HUGS))
-Mary

no spring chicken said...

I love how you put it all in perspective. Two people. Just two coming together and honoring the blessings of the Lord. It's beautiful Janette...

Blessings, Debbie

Rebecca said...

I, too, am "drawn" to words - and have a few on our walls, too. I've never been able to afford the vinyl ones, but see so many I would love to have. How splendid to find them on sale!

You've got me thinking about where I could stencil "Courage"! What a great word.

Sandy said...

I love what you've done. I have
been thinking of getting some
vinyl words too. Where did you
get yours?
Blessings~

Karen said...

Janette you are so creative! I love the way of reminding them of Courage & Belonging. I know you've have been busy - this is the best grouping of family pictures I've seen yet. Have a great weekend. Hoping you all get rain & cooler weather.

Susannah said...

Stunning! You are blessed, Janette. Your family is a treasure, and it's wonderful that you celebrate each member on your "wall of words." Love it!

Tanna said...

LOVE the words mixed with the family photos!! Looks great, Janette!!

Sue said...

Janette, beautifully done, and I have always loved words, especially scripture added through out our home, You are so talented with your decorating skills, I have several wall with family photographs, and will now look or vinyl letters to add to them. Thanks so much for the ideas.
Happy Labor Day weekend.
Hugs,
Sue

Sharon said...

Oh, I loved this one! What a wonderful thing to do. Words on walls speak volumes don't they? I am also drawn to words (what English major isn't, after all?!). They just give such powerful reminders. I haven't launched into vinyl, but here and there I have framed and displayed words that speak to my soul.

Sometimes a picture paints a thousand words - but more often than not, a word paints a thousand pictures and promises.

The Word - it speaks - in words that remind us of its power.

GOD BLESS!

Debbie said...

I really love it! I keep intending to put words on my walls because I love the look. Then, I look at the price and change my mind.

It's a sad thing to be so stinking cheap that you won't buy wall vinyl. Seriously.Ugh.

I really want one of those Cricuts. Of course, a person too stingy to by a piece of scripture is certainly too cheap to buy the machine to make them.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I had to give up cross stitch some time ago - I miss it.

Fondly,
Glenda

Crown of Beauty said...

Wonderful wonderful post, dear Janette. So meaningful, and so full of life, hope... such an enduring love flows out of your heart! And you show care in everything you touch!

I am so glad I dropped by your place at the start of this day. Felt so encouraged just reading the words on your wall, and seeing the mini story of your life stages in pictures!

Much love
Lidj

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

Janette, you have such a wonderful sense of decoration. I love all your ideas, and mixing the pictures with the words - simple genius. Thank you for sharing with us.

Lisa said...

I love it!!! I would love to do this!

Maryann said...

I really like your walls, I have never seen the vinyl words, where do you find them. I have some words on my wall as well, found some pictures with some favorite scripture at the thrift store. Also thought about using one of those projector things (is that what they are called)and projecting a verse or saying on the wall and free styling it

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

yes, I love these too. You are creating such a blessing in your home. I NEED thos reminders, all the time, and there is no reason why they can't be beautiful like you have done here. I think God created that desire to make things special and lovely, and He sure gave you some extra genes in that department. Love this!!

xo

Petra said...

What a neat idea and you have such a special touch! Do these vinyl words stick to textured paint?

Shanda said...

What a testament. Makes me want to make a wall of photos. Don't know if I'll change a light setting on my own though.

Vee said...

I like it! "Courage" is a great word to face the day with...

Kathleen said...

Seeeeeee! You're a fabulous story-teller with your creative touches. We word-people stick together :)

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Lovely post Janette.

camp and cottage living said...

Janette
Thank you for sharing this creative idea with us! I want to do a family photo wall, but just don't know where to start. Adding the words with the photos tell more of a story.
And yes, the dear Lord knows we all could use courage in this day and age!

Lorie said...

LOVE it! I love how your home is a reflection of who you are in the Lord and your family.

Thank you for your recent email. I will write again soon. I have gotten 3 new clients now that school started and I have been sooo busy. Please know you are always in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs.

NanaNor's said...

Hi Janette, Loved seeing your wall of words-how inspiring and special. I would love to have words of faith throughout our home, but hubby wouldn't ever want it so I am content to have them in my sewing room.
Hugs and Happy Labor Day.
Love, Noreen

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

I like the way you have your photos displayed. I think it makes a home feel warm and friendly to see the lives of family members so proudly displayed. Families are a gift, for sure. Hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend. Shannon

A multi-dimensional life said...

Your walls speak of the glory of God and His constant blessing on your life! Yes, let the words continue on as your story keeps un-folding! Bless your beautiful heart!

Denise J. Hughes said...

Oh, I LOVE this. Words on the walls. May I copy your idea, please? I love words! Why not put them on my walls! Great post. And I love the pictures.

susanwalkergirl said...

You encouraged me to put up my words. Recently ordered them, but haven't put them up yet. Perhaps this weekend. It looks beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails