Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Thursday, September 29, 2011

Fall Applause

google image
How does the saying go?  "You don't appreciate what you have until it is gone".  I can now say that about summers past.  How could one appreciate our usual hot summers unless you live through a summer of scorching heat.  Yes, we set new weather records.  We had 70 days of 100-plus temperature...far above  norm in our otherwise hot, summer state.  These records also caused us set our own personal records for the most days with air conditioning and staying inside.  So I appreciate the normal heat of summers past after the summer of 2011!

Today,  I want to share my Fall Applause.  The heat, still here at times, has also bowed her head  to rejuvenating cool mornings.  The anticipation of Fall can be smelled for a few hours in the early morning, while I set to take in all the possibilities of the season before me.

Cool enough to open the windows!  Letting the breeze rush over my shoulders as I have my quiet time, just renews my energy and delight in this coming season.


The breeze also ushers in the sounds of the high school band practicing...a sure sign that Fall is here, even though afternoons call for the air conditioner.  As the band plays, my memory drifts back to early morning drill team practices in the Fall during high school....and of course, high school football!

I hope you are enjoying your first taste of Fall and letting the cool breezes bring back days of past Falls. May we appreciate this time of year before she is swept away by winter's cold.

30 Joining in with more words:

Mary said...

Fall is my favorite season...I slept out on the screen porch last night...glorious...night sounds...brilliant stars...such a gift!!

Enjoy the morning coolness and breezes blowing through the house.

xxoo

Vee said...

Even I was running the AC just a week ago and thankful I am that I don't have to this week. What an added expense that is. I'm sure that your AC is as expensive as our heating in the winter. I agree with you, let us enjoy every minute no matter the weather. What a sweet scene there by the open window. I can imagine coffee, morning devotions, and sweet relaxation in your favorite chair...just wonderful.

Debbie said...

Oh yes, Janette! I can relate to this entire post. I have said the same about our summer here. (I realize it was even worse in Texas) The heat and drought were so oppressive that it made life just a matter of existing.

There's just something about FALL. I even understand about the marching band sound. I long for more fall days.

They will be medicine to my spirit.

Debbie said...

Good morning! Yes, I can totally imagine how grateful you are for some cooler weather. 70 days over 100 is REALLY a lot of heat. : ) It just seems like soo many of us just love the Fall. But then what's not to love. Cooler weather, gorgeous colors, football, pumpkin latte's, and the promise of the holidays coming. : ) ENJOY it all.

Thanks for all the prayers for Mel & baby Sam. I soo appreciate it. All is going pretty well here. Mel is still in that stage where she can hardly take her eyes off of him long enough to get some sleep herself. haha. Motherhood is really an overwhelming feeling sometimes isn't it? He is just soo sweet...but so tiny. He was weighed yesterday at the docs and he was 5 pounds and 14 oz. My babies were 9 and 10 pounds (except for Mel) and seemed little, but this guy seems like just a chip. haha. Truly a miracle in every little way.

Have a wonderful day!

Hugs!!

Sandy said...

I literally wait for autumn every
year. There's just something about
the season for me, as for many others
obviously. The sky is an azure blue
and the air just smells cleaner. The
colors of the leaves is remarkable
here where I live in the mountains.
So, yes I appreciate what you're
saying. Our summer was terribly dry
and record highs were awful so this
cool air is so welcome. In fact, I
plan on wearing a sweater to the
grocery store today.
Blessings~

Canadagirl said...

I do love fall but I have to say this is the time of year I have to be VERY careful not to over due things b/c of my adrenal gland fatigue. Trying to pace myself with harvest, starting school and getting ready for craft fairs. I need to sit at the feet of our Lord more and soak up His presence. We are noticing that lighting our first fire in the wood stove is VERY near. [o=

Blessings and ((HUGS))
-Mary

Deborah Ann said...

Our summers are probably similar to your falls. Therefore I don't want to rush through them. Our daughter lives in AZ, and it's still in the 100's! Enjoy your cooler season!

Theresa said...

I love the fall! We had a week where I could open the windows but this week it is back to A/C. I am hearing it is going to cool off for the weekend though :)

I can picture your quiet time and it sounds delightful!

Always Nesting said...

When we lived in Texas I couldn't wait for Fall after the long, hot summers. When we lived in California, summer and fall blended right into winter, or so it seemed as a busy mom. Now here we are not wanting Fall to arrive in Oregon, yet it is. Leaves are starting to change color and fall. My wardrobe needs layers and I'm so not ready because that means the gray winter rain will be here before we know it.

Beth Herring said...

oh, how i love fall! and open windows! but it is still 95 degress in Louisiana - no fall cool snap yet.

Farm Girl said...

Well after your very hot summer, I bet you will really enjoy your cooler days.
It is something to rejoice about. I am always reminded that at least we have air conditioning. What in the world did those poor people in the old times do when it was a summer like we have just had.
I know then that hot or not I am really spoiled. :)
Enjoy your cool weather. Ours is next week.

Cindy said...

It's my favorite time too. We've actually had the furnace on here with temps getting a lot cooler overnight. I think on Saturday it's only supposed to be in the 50's.

Mostly I love the colors of fall.

Stephanie said...

Spring used to be my favorite (that's why I chose to get married during that season) but now more and more my favorite has become fall. When I used to live farther south, all those fall happenings you mentioned are the things I enjoyed (especially hot chocolate at football games). Now, I kinda like the gray skies, the smell of firewood and having to wear a jacket in September. Leaves are already turning, can't wait to see the colors.

Petra said...

I love Fall! Just this morning, as I heard and felt the drying leaves beneath my running feet, I breathed deeply that awesome autumn air and wished that I could bottle it! :-)

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

This afternoon almost made me forget the joys of the mornings we've had recently. AC and ceiling fans running full tilt and I'm still hot. Of course, going to Canton and walaking around in this sun and heat might be the real culprit!!

I too long for fall, football, cooler days, and even looking forward to a hot vanilla steamer! :)

Love the picture of your window with the chair and Bible. I can almost feel that breeze.

xo

A multi-dimensional life said...

I do enjoy fall with all of its color and coziness. Our summers here are, as Deborah said, probably like your falls! We did have a few days of 100 degree weather, but they were short lived. Even so, I commented that my heart went out to all my friends in Texas! I'm glad you are enjoying cooler breezes!

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

I think Fall stands as almost everyone's favorite season, hands down. What's not to like? Color, warm days, cool nights, the promise of the holidays to come. I vote for Fall too! Yay! I love it.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Fresh cool air without the drone of the air-conditioner. Quite a delight. I enjoy autumn too with the respite from the heat. Heading gently into a pleasant spring here which is equally delightful.

camp and cottage living said...

Janette
So funny. You are finally cool enough to open the windows now, and
it is so cool here I'm now closing the windows!
I'm also thinking about getting the flannel sheets out!
I'm so glad for you that fall is making it's appearance and you can enjoy it.
Take care-Kimberly

susanwalkergirl said...

Fall is one of my favorite times of year. I enjoy putting up my autumn decorations and keep them up until after Thanksgiving.

I live in southern California...so it doesn't get too cold here. But the other day the smell of a fireplace burning logs was in the air.

Hope your hot spell is over. Enjoy the fall days and nights.

Blessings...Susan

Sally said...

I have pulled out the fall decorations but we still hit into the 90's today. A cool front is due in tonight which means 70's tomorrow. The cool hasn't hit Austin yet but I've sent the boy more under shirts and socks to keep up with the changing:)

Patty Marker said...

I am sitting here in the early evening with the window open, a slight breeze, the sound of the pond and crickets in the background. Just the perfect way to begin autumn. Enjoy your mornings, Patty

Anonymous said...

Autumn is one of my favorite seasons, though sometimes in my part of the world, we don't get a full Autumn. Summer kind of blends into winter, which is not so lovely, but at least the tree leaves turn colors. :)

So far, it doesn't feel too much like Autumn here, as it's been rather warm, and the a/c is still in use. I might complain now, but when winter comes, I'll be wishing it was warm again. Isn't it funny how us humans can be so silly about such things?

At any rate, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on Autumn. It's true, we need to enjoy each season God gives to us. Once that season is past, it's gone, so we need to enjoy it before it leaves us.

Tanna said...

Yes, yes, yes, Janette. I usually enjoy our summers... in spite of the fact that they are hot and humid. But, this one has taught me a whole new appreciation for them. I usually enjoy fall, but get sad to see the days shorten. I think we are supposed to get a nice cool front today. I just hope the wind doesn't blow enough to get the fires spreading like the last cool winds that blew in. Yea, for the windows open in the early morning... and the sounds of school bands... and the smells of fall. lets enjoy this weekend! blessings ~ tanna

Sue said...

Fall is my favorite season, and after a much grueling summer we are really getting some fall weather this weekend. This weather also lifts my spirit, I am enjoying sitting in the swing on the porch while writing this, shhh! don't tell I am suppose to be in the garden.~sneaky grin~
Enjoy your weekend.
Sue

myletterstoemily said...

hip hip hooray to the end of this unbelievable
summer! i'm heading out for a walk on this
gorgeous day.

sorry i haven't been visiting. we have been in
the hospital with hans' dad for six weeks. the
Lord has been near.

i just sent a note in the mail to you for my
streisand cd. LOVE IT!

So, I Begin this Journey...... said...

LOVE autumn ...... crisp breeze.... crunchy leaves.... pumpkin spice scent...... okay, now I'm hungry!

Janette I plan to catch up with you via e-mail.... this is homecoming weekend..... but I want to update with you!

Been thinking of you!

no spring chicken said...

I AM enjoying my fall thank you. But I'm certain I'm not appreciating it near as much as you poor crispy critters down there!!

I'm glad things are feeling cooler and that you can now find the silver lining in summers past (and hopefully future)!

Blessings, Debbie

Sharon said...

As much as I love my summers, there is something special about that autumn *crisp* that comes to the air. It makes me feel like God has something new just on the horizon...

...blowing in on the breezes of His Spirit!

GOD BLESS!

Finding Joy said...

I love autumn, my favourite season, but I always find it a little sad as it farewells summer and introduces winter. Whereas spring (which I am currently enjoying) is far more variable with warm one day and cold and wet the next. But I shouldn't complain as it will be hot before I know it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails