Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Monday, September 5, 2011

What Were They Thinking?



It use to be cool....well that was the slang word then for being with the crowd.  I wore it proudly.  I was a stylish-drill team member in high school when the fashion industry introduced the ring.  At least that is what I told myself as I adorned my finger with the fashion statement.  Since school rooms were usually cold what my ring indicated had nothing to do with the truth....it was always black.

Mood Rings!

Recently I noticed this fashion statement of the 70's is back in style.

Now really....What were they thinking?

Surely it is still for the young.



I don't think the world needs to know the mood of  middle-age, menopausal women.  I think we show it very clearly and I don't think any of us really want to read indicators on a ring.  I don't need a color to announce my mood....thank-you!  Besides we might need our own chart to tell the truth of the matter.  Now wouldn't that be marketing tool....Tell the Mood of a Middle-Age Woman

So this is one retro-fashion statement I will not endorse.  How about you?  Do you want to wear a Mood Ring?  Did you wear one?
I hope you have a wonderful "mood" week!

32 Joining in with more words:

A multi-dimensional life said...

Ha! You crack me up! Yes, we definitely would need our own chart! It would be interesting to see what color we'd use for hot flashes, dry eyes, night sweats, sleep disturbances, etc. - but you're right - we don't need a ring to tell we are having mood swings and not feeling groovy...far out maybe, but not so groovy :) It would have to be "like, you know, psychedelic, for sure!" (wink)!

Debbie said...

Yes I did have one, and it didn't work. Mine always stayed black. (Of course, I've always stayed pretty much stressed out, so...)

Christine said...

I think some man invented this ring so he could see what mood his wife was in before he opened his mouth.
I had one up until two weeks ago when the top broke off. I wonder what mood it was showing when it disappeared?

Anonymous said...

Janette,
Had one just like it! Of course, I was always cold, so it was always black. Always.
Don't need another one! Bet it wouldn't be black anymore.

Trisha said...

Janette,
Too funny, my friend. I remember seeing these, though I don't think I ever wore one. I'm sure husbands everywhere might like to know a wife's mood ahead of time, at least now and then. :)

Love and hugs!

Sandy said...

I had one as did every girl I
knew. I never believed in them
though. Just fun.
Have no fear, all menopause
symptoms do finally go away.
You are too funny.
Blessings~

Karen said...

Girl, you gave me a flash back down memory lane and a laugh at the same time! YES! I had one. Mine never told the truth either - or maybe it did and I was just not intune with my teenage feelings as the ring was. HA! NO! I would definitely not want to wear one now. You & I need to definitely re-write the chart. Have a great week.

Susannah said...

LOL, I sort of remember those rings! Makes me think of OT high priest Aaron's breastplate--with 12jewels, one for each tribe. Now there's an apron with high style!

What's so funny is that e-Dad (a college psych major) was more into that stuff than me... in fact he's been thinking about developing a fun mobile app along these lines.
I will forward this post to him. He'll get a big kick out of it!

Hugs, e-Mom ღ

Theresa said...

Oh, I used to wear one when I was a kid, but these days no way! I don't think it would be something I would want to look at all day :)

Tanna said...

LOL! Nope, I don't need a ring to know or signal my moods. LOL! blessings ~ tanna

Unknown said...

LOL! My kids all own one-they think they are the neatest thing. I had to tell them that they used to be around even when I was a kid-:) Yes, I think we would need our own chart and boy I can only imagine what it would say. lol Warning-about to explode any minute-lol!
Cute post.
Hugs
Jill

Shanda said...

I wore one as a teen. Now, being menopausal, i think I should start wearing one again, as i never know how I am feeling. I wonder if they've made them better now; to warn you 15 minutes in advance how you will feel???

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

My friends wore them, but my folks would never allow my sister or me to have one. Smart parents. It would just have been another tool to use against each other. Now days, I really don't want to see my moods in graphic detail. I am happy just lumbering along and believing I am doing okay. The ring just might hint at something else and rock my apple cart. Hot flashes do enough of that already. Fun post, great comments!

Debbie Petras said...

I never wore one and I don't want one. And yes, they were quite popular at one time. I saw a few of the older children at school wear something like this too. I told them that they have a choice in how they respond to life and situations. And that's really what I believe.

You are so cute Janette. Many good reminders.

Love you,
Debbie

Maria said...

I remember these rings... but Chris will tell you that he doesn't need one to guess how I'm feeling :o)
Funny what was marketed back then... I think they re-emerged when my oldest was in high school too!

Oh Janette, we've been focusing so much on our flooding {not at our home, but in our region} and now ~ Texas! It's been sooo hot and dry there, with some fires...but this is so awful! Are you in any danger? We called Jason tonight just to talk with him about the fires. We told him to keep on top of his local news!
God bless you and your family ~ keep you safe and secure ♥ Maria

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I was just at the store with my ten year old and she was showing me those mood rings and really wants one. I guess some things never change. I just loved your post. It cracked me up....

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I totally disagree . . . the world DOES need to know the mood of middle aged menopausal women. :-) I really laughed aloud at that great line. Thanks.

Fondly,
Glenda

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, my goodness, you conjured up all kinds of memories. I had one of the mood rings but I never put too much stock in their color, just enjoyed wearing it and feeling like I was "in style." :o) Have a wonderful week!

Kathleen said...

What a crack up! Yes ... I had a mood ring. I would have bet my last quarter (all I had) that they KNEW exactly what was going on in my erractic teen psyche!

I have no clue whet they'd say about a sassy granny? Could be fun, and funny :)

Maryann said...

I hate to admit it but not only do I remember them but I had one. I don't remember it working though.

Anonymous said...

Mood Rings - turned my skin green. Cheap little things that never really exposed much about my mood, but the color changing was pretty cool - when they did change color . . .

Remember those prism rings, too?

Well, somebody is getting rich on tweeny disposable income again. I'll keep my gold and gemstones, thank you.

Joy!
Miss Kathy

Debbie said...

Yep had one of those too. I don't remember knowing or caring if it worked or not, I was just anxious for others to see I was "in style" haha...Can't believe they are popular again. And a big NO to not wanting others to know my mood anyway, lol. Hope you had a wonderful day! HUGS

Maria said...

Hi Janette! I can only imagine how awful it must be to see such loss. The hurricane damage is haunting. Fire destruction is unreal!
~ We heard some trees cracking during the storm last week, I actually ran from the kitchen window because of all the stories about trees falling on houses ~ I hope your family stays safe and that this weather madness ends!
God bless you*
Maria

Finding Joy said...

Nope, don't want to wear one. And it might show a colour that clashes with my outfit. Can't have that!!

no spring chicken said...

I just may be O.k. wearing the mood ring again... Black goes with everything! ;)

Blessings, Debbie

Farm Girl said...

My daughter just bought me one, it is always black???
I finally took it off. Yes, that mood thing just drives me nuts. That is why I need God's word so desperately. It always adjusts my mood so much better for me than just about anything I know, and of course a good walk.
Have a great week.

Rebecca said...

I remember! I remember! And Jannette, I think you need to revise the chart for menopausal women. I'll be waiting to see it :)

Anonymous said...

Too funny, Janette. I got matching rings with my daughter a couple of years ago while visiting Disney and we love to wear them for fun. Brings back so many memories. I hear ya as far as the menopausal indicator though. I don't think they've invented a color for that. ;)

Glad you connected at the diary.
Enjoy your day.

myletterstoemily said...

oh my goodness! that takes me back.
and you're right, i certainly don't want
anyone reading my hot flash mood
swings! i think my face is betraying
me already, though!

still praying for your sweet one.

Sue said...

You are too much Janette, I wore one eons ago, and think one mood ring in a lifetime is enough, lol besides I am not confessing anything, cause mr. P might read your blog and my comment. I am pleading the fifth, and that's my case. lol
I am trying to contain my laughter as Mr. P. is looking at me.
Hugs,
Sue

Petra said...

Haha, I remember the mood rings. I had one. It never changed color, though. As far as charting our middle-age, menopausal moods. I think there are way too many to chart. It would take forever. Whose got the time? Na, let's not. :-)

Sharon said...

I did wear a mood ring. Until the band turned my finger green. (What mood did THAT indicate?)

No, no one needs a mood ring to read this 50+ woman. It's usually *cranky* with a little *weepy* thrown in there for good measure. Oh, and an occasional *nervous like all get out* for balance.

Seriously, I actually think that I'm going to just let the Holy Spirit guide my moods! He seems to have a handle on most issues better than me!

This was gnarly, dude - truly right on...

GOD BLESS!

Related Posts with Thumbnails