Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fear? Courage is Spoken

In a culture that screams "self-sufficiency" I find myself in the most "insufficient" physical position of my half- century life.  At this point I am continuously looking up to hear God!  Not a bad place to be.  In so doing I am amazed at how often He speaks and how "loudly".  Having heard the story, in different variations through out my life, someone asking for direction from God and he keeps sending signs but they can't see them...I am seeing the signs.

Confirmation of His spoken word seems to jump from every angle of my life.  While re-designing an old mirror I went to purchase words to apply to my new decor.  One word was "Celebrate" while the other was "Courage". I tried hard to convince everyone that "Celebrate" was to be on the mirror....all votes were "Courage".

I started to hear past memorized scripture run through my head on "Courage".  I wanted to deny these direction signs, because with them I began to "fear".  Why was God speaking these words...I was just starting to breath again...what was in store?

My husband's job is unstable again.  He has been traveling to provide for our family, which means I am in transition...AGAIN!  I am seeing that at age 49 I don't transition easily.

So with a stubborn backbone I sat down and picked up my summer reading that I had put off.  "Fearless" by Max Lucado.  Each chapter has jumped from the pages....each day ending in tears and prayer before God. Many of his suggestions I have been doing...reading biographies on other lives - just finished DL Moody.  Another confirmation that God was speaking - encouraging me along this journey.

Today reading was "Fear of Overwhelming Challenges".  He states my challenges.  He uses the story of Jesus and the disciples in the boat during the storm.  His exultation from the scriptures were that during the storms (we all have them) we need to keep our eyes on Jesus and not the storm.  Not the clouds I see coming my way, not the wind I feel telling me something is coming, not the whisper of the enemy causing me to fear...but look to Jesus.

"Don't be afraid," he said, "Take courage I am here". Matt. 14: 27


The disciples never imagined Jesus to come to them in the storm that was beating them up...but they looked up and He was walking on water, through the storm toward them.
The Lord is near. Phil. 4:5
You are in me and I am in you. John 14:20
I am with you always, to the very end of the age. Matt. 28: 20

Nothing can ever separate you from God's love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our  fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow - not even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love. Rom. 8:38

Quote from the book - "We cannot go where God is not. Look over your shoulder; that's God following you.  Look into the storm; that's Christ coming toward you."

Peter asked Jesus to command him to come - Peter stepped out of the boat, in the midst of the storm.....and he walked on water.

"We must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away from it" Heb. 2:1

As Max Lucado states -"Feed your fears, and your faith will starve, Feed your faith, and your fears will."
"Storms are not an option, but fear is."


He is speaking clearly.   I have to stop and take it all in.  This earthly life isn't providing "security"....the 401K is gone, the house, the life insurance, the health insurance, the savings, the job security - but I don't need to look to the circumstances that surround me.  I know the one who calms the storms and I look to Him...like Peter, I can walk on water while staring at His face, it is when I look to the storm that I begin to sink.

I pray for courage during all of our storms.  May we all look to the one who calms the storms and may we live fearless.



13 Joining in with more words:

Susannah said...

Your post reminds me of the lion in The Wizard of Oz... wasn't he wishing for "courrrragggge?"

Yes, transitions are so hard at any stage of life, but especially in middle age, when we've found a particular rhythm, and it seems like life could go on forever in a certain way.

I think a lot about Abraham & Sarah who were called to leave their comfortable life behind in Ur... or Moses, who fled Egypt, raised a family, and then was sent back to lead the Isrealites to freedom, as as an old man. None of the famous Bible characters ever "retired" did they?

Praying for courage for you (and me) Janette!

Blessings, e-Mom ღ

Kathleen said...

I'm so sorry your life-saga includes this troublesome chapter! It's apparent you have your head on straight, and your heart even straighter, but I know the gnawing pangs in the soul. They're plaguing!

Yours is good word, my friend. It makes me think of the Lord's encouragement to me this week, from Psalm 116 ...

"Return to your rest, O my soul, for God has been good to you. He has delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, and my feet from stumbling that I may walk before the Lord in the land of living."

Now that's a dose of courage if ever there was one!

Praying for you,
Kathleen

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

This is so honest and such a strong reflection of where your heart is.

I love that verse that says..."I was young and now I am old and NEVER have I failed to see the hand of the Lord in the land of the living!"

That's how it is for each of us... it is a help to remember what He has already brought us through, and also ... 'don't be afraid about tomorrow... He's already there!'...

Your heart is reflecting the struggles, but even more... the strong hope because you KNOW He holds you and your family, and like I love to say to myself ... He's not going anywhere!

Good thoughts Janette, and it's going to be interesting to see what He brings in the days ahead. He never ignores our faith...

Big hugs!

Sonja

Sandy said...

Psalm 116 has been my favorite
since I was saved at the age of
23. I just love all that it says
to me.
If we keep our eyes on Him at all
times we will never be overcome
by fear and never defeated by the
enemy. Total truth.
This was such an excellent word
that every single one of us need
to hear. We've all been there.
Blessings,
Sandy

Rebecca said...

Our Sunday School class is spending 6 weeks memorizing verses containing promises for tough times! The first one was Joshua 1:9! Precisely the same message that you are learning and have communicated here!

Be strong and courageous, dear one. God is with you wherEVER you go!

Theresa said...

Great post Janette. I am taking courage with you (at least I am trying).
Hugs to you my friend!

Debbie said...

Oh Janette I can soo relate to this post. It just seems everything is so uncertain in these days we are all living in. How I love where your heart is at as you trust Him. You have some wonderful scriptures to hold onto here. So much has changed for me recently too what with having had the breast cancer and the move and all, but I took soo much comfort in KNOWING that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. He never leaves or changes or forsakes us. I am constantly amazed at His loves and blessing. Looking for courage with you...and praying always, Debbie

Ginny Marie said...

Wonderful post, Janette! My husband's job is so uncertain right now, and it's hard to not worry! But things change, and sometimes those changes don't feel like they are good at first, but then turn out to be the best thing that could have happened! Only God can know what far-reaching consequences those changes can bring! (And I mean consequences in a good way!)

Janna said...

Amen Janette!

I have been working through Kay Arthur's study "LORD, where are you when bad things happen?" It's a study in a Habakkuk. Habakkuk is only 3 chapters but wow what a book and lesson in faith. Ps 37 has also been a blessing to me lately.

Simple Home said...

What an inspirational post, and the mirror turned out great. I needed to hear this, thanks so much. I've spoken to other women about our age, and they seem to be going through the same thing, a bit of apprehension that they haven't felt too much in their life before. I wonder if some of it is premenopause? I'll be glad when that's all over :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Trisha said...

Janette,
Oh, I'm so sorry. I know I can't begin to imagine how unsettling everything is...so glad that Jesus can and will bear this burden and give you rest. Thank you for being so transparent and for sharing such an encouraging post despite the many things going on that are discouraging. I count it an honor to pray for these specific things for you.

Miss Janet said...

Oh my. I'd like to hear more about your story. We, too, are in a transition.

I'll tell you briefly:
*Husband is a pastor
*Not a good income
*Have to rent
*House was sold with us in it
*Have 2 weeks until our last day here
*Don't have a clue what God is doing
*Housing is very expensive here
*Other pressures that I can't talk about

That's it in a nutshell. I must say: God is with us - God continues to bless - I have faith in HIM

Blessings to you,

Janet
www.homeward4.blogspot.com

Debbie Petras said...

Thank you for pointing me to this post. It is very timely as you well know. I am feeling once again paralyzed by fear. I thank you for praying for me Janette and writing to me at just the right moment. How like God to bring me to your mind. Thank you for listening.

I will keep my eyes on Jesus. No matter what ...

Love you,
Debbie

Related Posts with Thumbnails