Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Monday, September 12, 2011

Simple Joy - Comics




Yesterday was a very sobering day.  We put out our flag..the only one on our street...and turned on the television to watch the memorial services.  Like everyone else in America I can remember the morning forever sketched in my mind and heart.  As a home school mom  we were all in our school room starting our studies when my husband yell, "turn on the television!!!!!" and we watched in horror the events unfold.



Since we lived within two miles of a major airport we discussed if we needed to leave the area...but where  was it safe?  We fell to our knees and as a family began to pray.  As the days past and all planes were grounded, we lived in a constant reminder of the events because of the deafening silence of the air over our home.

The day planes were allowed to fly I heard them boom over our home, I ran outside in tears....the silence had been broken and life would go forward in a new way.




Each of us have heard the stories and will continue to hear them throughout the remaining days of our life's.

Today I share a Simple Sunday Joy with you....reading the Sunday paper, along with the comics.  Yesterdays comics just summed it up so well.  How many times the comics bring us joy....and now they remind us also of what is important...so I share with you the ones that jumped from the pages of my newspaper.

31 Joining in with more words:

myletterstoemily said...

sometimes the comic strips hit the closest
to home. and humor rides so close to
grief.

you win the most original trip down
memory lane and taking some of the
sting out.

Vee said...

I missed the comics yesterday. Glad to find them here. Ours was the only flag flying in my neighborhood, too. A decade ago, we all flew our flags. Hmmmm...

Rebecca said...

The comics, the commercials (wonder how much $$$ was spent on commercials alone?), the opening ceremonies of ball games, and a week-long of special programs and newscasts....seems like it was everywhere I turned for seven days straight.

In some ways, I wish there were fewer words and more action. (Does that sound awful?) Less "political correctness" and more personal thoughtfulness and insight....

There. I got THAT off my chest!

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

oh we looked at those yesterday too, and I always love B.C. What a day of emotions as we watched and remembered. 10 years, seems hard to believe.

Debbie said...

I never even looked at the paper yesterday morning. What a treat I missed. I absolutely love this post, and I loved the part about hearing the planes again.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Thanks for posting this. We don't get the paper, and I would have missed this.

Fondly,
Glenda

Trisha said...

Praising God that what I didn't understand then, I understand now...His sovereign care. You're right, those memories of where we were are etched on our minds and hearts, and like you, gathering to pray was one of the first things we did.

camp and cottage living said...

I no longer take a paper and therefore miss the comics. It does my heart such good to see the memorial even there-that we haven't forgotten.
So sad your flag was the only one flying.

NanaNor's said...

Hi there friend, The comics just hit home don't they. My homeschooling years were over on that dreadful day but I well remember watching the t.v. before I left for work. Hard to believe its been ten years. Blessings to you this week.
Hug, Noreen

Unknown said...

We had the the most beautiful church service yesterday to honor the memory of those lost 10 years ago and those serving in the military than and now. The guard from the High School came down to the front of the church as they played Amazing Grace-I don't think there was a dry eye in the church and our choir sang A Mighty Fortress is Our God. It was very moving. I read the funnies yesterday-I thought it was very interesting to see the different ways they portrayed it. We showed a video we had taped to our kids yesterday of the actual day-the 3 oldest are old enough to understand things now and they were amazed and saddened by it all. It made me very sad to remember just how bad it really was.
So thankful that God is in control of all of this!
Hugs-
Jill

Sally said...

We were one of two flags on our block. I was a bit surprised by that as well.

Farm Girl said...

I think that sometimes the comic strips can be so profound.
It just still breaks my heart to think about that day.
It was a terrible day, my Dad was in Oklahoma City having open heart surgery, not expected to live, and all of the news going on, then when my Dad called me, to hear him cry and cry for our country.
Yep, not a day I like to remember.
To much pain as my Mom died the same day, September 11, 1969, so it is a day with way to much pain for me.
But God is still God and HE changes not.

Sue said...

I didn't get to read the comics yesterday janette, but am enjoying some Thanks for sharing these, and your thoughts. I too will always remember exactly where we were at, and how it affected so many, and even now, after ten years.
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for your sweet notes, and please tell Master Benjamin, I am so glad he enjoyed the photos, and will send him more soon I always remember him when I take farm critters photos, as I know he loves them
Hugs,
Sue

Sandy said...

You wouldn't even think the comics
would get to the heart so much, but
these sure did. I always love B.C.
anyway. Thanks for sharing these.
Hard to believe it has been ten
years. Thank God for His love
and mercy.

Debbie said...

Oh Janette, those were wonderful...just the right amount of humor. We don't take the paper anymore, so I am glad you shared those. How sad to read that so many people were the only ones with their flags out. There were MANY in this neighborhood. Maybe because they are older most of them, I don't know, but kind of sad. Hope you have a good week! HUGS

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

This was a wonderful, timely post, Janette. Humorists can hit us where we need it most, with simple truths. Thanks for sharing the comics and a glimpse into your life on that day and the few days afterward.

Maryann said...

Missed the comics yesterday, don't often get the Sunday paper. Thanks for posting them. There were flags flying in our neighborhood
and jets flying over head, we like to call it the "sound of freedom"
We too remembered, and prayed

Petra said...

Thanks for sharing the comics. We had a wonderfully encouraging service and found much peace in the grace and sovereignty of our faithful Lord. Blessings, my friend!

moreofhim said...

Thank you for sharing these comics! I didn't get to see them and it was so nice of you to share.

I will always remember that morning, too, as if it were yesterday.

God bless you - Julie

Beth Herring said...

that was certainly a terrible day for our country but i am so thankful that our God was with us and is still with us!

Stephanie said...

Thanks so much for these. I hadn't seen any of these before. And in answer to the last comic character's question, "Yes, we do need to do this every year." I'm sure most of us in the blogosphere posted about it, and how can we not? In ten more years, it may become another day off work or school and we only use it as a day to picnic, barbecue or watch the football game. God forbid!

Sharon said...

Sometimes the most profound truths are spoken in the most simple ways.

Loved these comics, Janette - and loved remembering what's really and truly important in life.

GOD BLESS!

Vickie said...

Hi Janette - I bought a brand new flag as I fly my flag every single day over our little farmhouse. It was raggedy and the pole was about to break. So a new bright flag waves out at the farm. I admit, I don't read the funny papers, but these were good to see and know that even these comics had moments of seriousness and conviction. Thanks for sharing these!

no spring chicken said...

My family spent the weekend camping. When we came down off the mountain Sunday afternoon, the first city we came to had the streets so lined with flags that you couldn't see the sidewalks... and I thought, "please Lord, don't ever let us lose faith in our country." I felt proud to be an American. Again.

Blessings, Debbie

Always Nesting said...

It's taken me so long to catch up on and follow my favorite blogs!! Love this post because it's not just about the horrific day, but of living life again, without fear.

susanwalkergirl said...

Thank you for sharing Janette! In many ways that day seems like it was just yesterday...I will always remember.

Catherine said...

Dear Janette, There is always a piece of our hearts that will aches for all of those people who died and for all of the loved ones left hurting. Your post was so heartfelt. Blessings, Catherine xo

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

I missed all those comics and am glad to see them here. Such a sad time yet such pride shown in remembrance...

Debbie Petras said...

Thanks for sharing those comic strips with us. It was a very sobering day. I remember vividly. I was watching the news before going to Bible Study Fellowship Leaders' meeting. I watched in horror. When I got to our meeting all 50 something of us got on our knees and prayed aloud for our nation, the firemen, policemen and people who were impacted.

Thinking of you Janette. There aren't enough hours in the day it seems. But I wanted to stop by and thank you for your comment on Heart Choices. I appreciate you so much.

Love you,
Debbie

Susannah said...

A very unique post, Janette! You handled a difficult topic with humor and sensitivity. Bless you!

TexWisGirl said...

the comics definitely do well in conveying what we're all feeling.

thanks for stopping by! glad you liked the hopper photos!

Related Posts with Thumbnails