Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Monday, May 16, 2011

What is a Girl To Do?

google
During this season of the year, I love to hop into my modern day American Model-T (15MPG) and cruise through the countryside, allowing me to de-stress from the mundane of life.  However, this once-enjoyed pastime, where I roll down the windows and envision myself in a convertible while I fly through the countryside, is now becoming only a vision in my rear view mirror of the past.

I want to go see flowers, new born animals, smell the non-city air and sing at the top of my lungs to oldies.

So What is A Girl to Do?
Me at my Grandfather's Farm back in high school.
I could go back to the early days of transportation....besides, I do live in Texas.  The only problem with this relaxing way of travel is that I haven't been on a horse since I was in high school.  I also live within 1/4 of a mile of the busiest highway in north Texas and I don't think the two systems of transportation would agree with each other.  Now give me "Land, lots of Land...just turn me loose, let me straddle on my old saddle....don't fence me in" and I will more than try to relearn how to ride a horse.  I am sure it would be the best way to de-stress and see the beautiful countryside.


This was about the size of the Smart Car...which would make me the smallest bug on the road....can we say "squaash"?

Second, I could go back to the form of transportation I used in high school when our country was going through a gas crisis.  This little thing would get me where ever I wanted to go....No Air Conditioning, No Power Windows....well, No Power Anything....but boasted 50 miles per gallon.  Now with it I could see some country while sticking to my seat from the lack of A/C and gearing down on my stick shift.

But the real solution...as I have mentioned in this past post (A Girl Can Dream) is the car below.  Now this would be the answer!!!




Since none of the above are going to happen, I need to find another way to feel like I am escaping into the country.  Blogging into many of your worlds allows that without paying $4.00 a gallon.  DVDs from the library allow me to see beautiful destinations I may never experience in my life time.  I can also just pour myself a glass of iced tea, put on some bright sunglasses....and walk into the backyard with a good book or close my eyes and envision myself walking along the beach.

I do own a pink bike and I have been riding her...they say you never forget how to ride a bike, but I am not getting very far at this point. Right now it isn't a positive form of de-stressing, my muscles are yelling.


How are you making it practically with the price of gas????

30 Joining in with more words:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, Janette. ;) My way to escape lately? Sipping my latest favorite drink--a strawberry Frutista from Taco Bell. I'm telling you it's like an instant vacation, breeze and all. Literally puts a smile on my face. I can't drive by a Taco Bell without ordering one and that's all I'll order. For about $2, not bad. Then again, I do need the car to get one. ;)

Enjoy your day.

Patty Marker said...

Great post. The pinch has definitely hit us. We're putting off a little anniversary getaway because the gas will cost us more than the room. Lots of time in the backyard sipping ice tea in sunglasses is about right for us, too. Every once in a while we turn the hose on eachother and call it a big wave and we're good.:)

Kathleen said...

I take a big breath, plug my nose, and gas up. It's painful in the same way going to the dentist is; and just about as costly!

I'm seeing the residuals in the grocery store and elsewhere. Gas prices drive so many other things. It makes me sad for young families with children (the big eating types) in the home.

This I know: I think twice before getting into the car. I try to cluster my errands: making fewer of them and getting more done when I have to go out. I may even follow my DIL's lead and dig into the Extreme Couponing thing. She's found a way to stretch their dollars big time!

Kathleen

no spring chicken said...

I too love a long drive in the country to de-stress. And all summer long, a favorite evening tradition in our house had been to go for a family drive just before dusk to look for deer.

Horeses are out of the question for us here in town (love the picture of you and the horse by the way). So, I guess it's the bikes for us too. We actually did start taking family rides about 3 years ago, but it's so limiting to weather. You see I only ride when it's perfect. Not too hot, not too cold, not too windy, not wet at all! ;)

Blessings, Debbie

Crickit said...

Great post! My car gets pretty good gas mileage but the way my hubby and I de-stress is getting out on our motorcycle on the weekends...gas is pretty affordable with it and the scenery...is breathtaking!

Vee said...

Let's just say that it's a good thing I am a homebody. My daughter just had her bike maintained purchasing new tires and is going to ride to work every possible day of the summer. Since it's a ten mile ride over country roads, I'm praying a lot. Simple pursuits and simple pleasures go a long way until one just can't take it anymore and then a drive is in order. Around here, about once a month or every six weeks and usually in conjunction with an errand that must be done anyway.

Farm Girl said...

Isn't it terrible. Our gas is almost at 5.00 dollars a gallon. We were at 4.00 way before most of the nation was who can figure, I spent 100 dollars the other day filling up my tank. No, I am very careful where I go now too. I liked your little car. I also love you and that horse. Really, you can't go back, I thought I could when I got my horse and thought I would be riding off into the sunset. Nope,
It hurts a whole lot more when you fall off and then you think you get sore when you work out now. Riding a horse is worse. :)
Not to mention the price of hay is more than gasoline. Stick with the library, and the back yard. :)

Now that I have popped your bubble.
Have a wonderful day!

Debbie said...

WONDERFUL post, Janette.

I have the itch to ride bikes again. We have a tandem that needs a new wheel, and I want to get it fixed.

As to escape, I walk, and like you I vicariously travel by reading blogs.

Tanna said...

The gas prices are daunting right now. I do remember standing in line to get gas and being appalled at $.50/gallon! Man things have changed!

Would love for you to visit Tyler sometime! I do have to say that the Azalea Trail time (end of March-first of April) is the very best time for a visit!! Maybe gas prices will be down by then... we can hope! blessings ~ tanna

Karen said...

I know what you mean! But, the pain is deeper than de-stressing! I want to go HOME to visit family.
Trying to decide when & how many time(s) this summer. Feeling the pain along with you....

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

No kidding!!

More thought goes into my trips now. Because we live in a smaller area, and everything is pretty much available to us, it isn't as bad, but I do think twice when I drive into Dallas, and try to combine things.

It makes me feel poor enough, and it also makes me wonder how the REALLY poor are managing.

xo

Mikki said...

Girl.. I can relate..
We've just been sticking close to home.. pretty much..
yesterday we ventured to Orlando but other than that.. just close to home..

A multi-dimensional life said...

We can all relate to this!
The question I have is why does the media keep saying the gas prices are coming down? Where I ask! Not here...it was 4.49 a gallon yesterday?!!! Crazy!
I like your idea of pouring a glass of iced tea and closing your eyes to imagine an escape! It seems the only affordable means of travel right now! Ugh!
Calgon take me away.......

Anonymous said...

Janette,

Okay, I had to LOL when I saw the picture of the sports car. I think you were in some kind of dream state when you put that picture on your blog. Ha, ha!

Well, I also LOVE to just cruise around and enjoy the outdoors too. I mean, put me in a field of wild flowers, and I am one happy girl. :) Of course, I live in Suburbia Land, so fields of wild flowers and beautiful nature just don't exist together. So, I just have to use my good ole' imagination.

Of course I am not thrilled with playing $4.25 per gallon for gas. I just put gas in my car, and only got 4.931 gallons for $21.00. What? It's a good thing that I don't drive my car very much.

Loved this post Janette! :)

Blessings,

-L. Rose

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, I filled my little car up today and it was over $65. I couldn't believe it and that's regular, heaven help if I had to use Premium.

Wish I could join you over a glass of tea and we could visit and solve this issue. :o)

Have a joy filled week!

Unknown said...

It cost me $100.00 almost to fill up for a trip today. Thankfully it only took half the tank to do it but it is really crazy. I hate that the prices keep going up when summer is just about to begin because we like to take little day trips places but it is just too expensive to do that right now. Even planning a trip to TN to see my hubby's dad isn't in the near future since it takes us two days with the kids so not only does it mean lots of $ for gas but hotels too. :(
I would love to have a horse, not very practical in Abilene either. lol We don't even have many sidewalks so no where to ride the poor thing. My first little car was a blue Renault Alliance-great on gas-no air either-except two windows down going at 65 mph. lol
Love sweet tea-had to stop making it so much cause we were drinking way too much. My newest Southern Living Magazine had great Tea Recipes in it I will have to pull it out and mail them to you.
Hope you have a great day.
Love ya
Jill

Theresa said...

We are well over $4 a gallon here on Long Island! Trying to combine errands as we drive past various stores. The ice tea looks so good :)

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

Well, I walk. Our neighborhood has gorgeous walking paths that lead underneath large shade trees and along flowering bushes and ornamental trees. Sculpted lawn boarders the walk with colorful accents of tulips, crocus and hyacinth. Overhead are numerous song birds, blackbirds, killdeer, meadowlark, quail, Morning dove plus Mallard ducks and Canadian geese. It is country within the city. Simply beautiful.

Unknown said...

oh girl.. save me a seat..it is those moments (where ever we go) that keeps us sain..i know it is for me..I LOVE that picture of you at your grandpa's,, it reminded me of my grandpa's too.. he was a farmer in West Virgina..and my cousins lived on the other side of the holler,so you could actually yell from one house to the other via the holler between montains..lol thanks for taking me back.. enjoy your day.. love ya myfriend.. have a blessed day

Rebecca said...

Your question stimulated a short post for me on my "thrifty" blog :)

I find myself in the good company of the others who have commented here before me.

In addition to cutting out unnecessary car trips, yesterday in the grocery aisles, I did some mental gymnastics and converted to several vegetarian dishes!

When the going gets tough, the tough get going !

myletterstoemily said...

oh, i feel so terrible about these gas prices.
everyone is suffering so, and it just passes
on down the line from the truckers to the
grocery store to our own tanks.

if i lived near you, i would pick you up for
a country joy-ride! but i don't have a
convertible! :)

Marsha Young said...

Janette,
LOVED the cheaper alternative, a glass of iced tea, sunglasses and a trip to the backyard with a good book! :)

We are just staying home more often, waiting for gas to only cost the "arm' again.

Good post - Marsha

Sharon said...

Ahh...yes, Janette. How to escape when the very act of escaping costs so much $$$.

I was thinking maybe they should invent a car that runs on hot air. Then, all I'd have to do is yak and I'd be able to drive all over the country!

I like the idea that you had - Blog Land really is a lovely place to wander around - the people are very nice!!

Yeah, I have a bike and l like walking - but right now, my getting away is mostly in the pages of books and magazines! I can go EVERYWHERE when I'm reading!

XOXO

Sue said...

Oh! how we all can relate to the gas hike, I am so blessed to live in the country, but I still enjoy taking rides in the country, lol. I enjoyed the photos of you and I have a secret wish to own a convertable, I have a friend at church who owns one and has promised me a ride. I might even stand up and let the wind blow my hair. lol
I would so love to enjoy a glass of sweet tea with you.As always such a joy to visit.
Hugs,
Sue

Christine said...

I feel your pain!
We just take shorter trips and not as often.

Your pictures are great! Some good thought went into this post and it shows.

Finding Joy said...

De-stressing: I like to lie on the couch, eyes shut and classical music playing in the background. Or sitting in the sun (in my garden) watching the world go by, or the birds.

I wouldn't want a convertible as it would really mess my hair up!!

Canadagirl said...

I know what you mean when it comes not driving unless you have to. We lump as many errands as we can and because we live a half an hour out of town my hubby does all the shopping. I think you have some real good ideas...ride your pink bike and your muscles will get over it. [o= Keep pouring your ice tea, where your sunglasses and enjoy your backyard with your book. Make your backyard like a country escape. Have lots of flowers and bushes maybe a swing. I don't know but there are nice ways to create the country feeling and be in suburbia. I pray blessings on your imagination and may the Lord give you wonderful ideas.

Blessings and ((HUGS))
-Mary

Debi said...

Sorry you can't get the fancy sport car but I am glad you take the time to blog into my world - you have made it a richer place for me. :))
About that sports car ... does it come in red?

Melanie said...

I truly enjoy sitting in the backyard with my Tervis Tumbler filled with tea and lemonade and reading or meditating on Scripture or trying not to fall asleep in the hot sun. My backyard is one of my fave places to just "be."

Debbie Petras said...

I love your sense of humor Janette! I remember in high school when I had a black 1960 Bonneville. Now that's a gas guzzler. And yet my friends would all chip in 50 cents for gas and we'd get a few gallons and off to the beach we'd go.

As for your questions, I found a friend to carpool to work with. It makes the drive go so quickly and more fun. And we both save money.

Hugs,
Debbie

Related Posts with Thumbnails