Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tadpole Hunting




Tradition is anything that is repeated over and over again and ours makes a family memory.  Tadpole hunting is a tradition in this home-school-male-dominated household.  This once-girly-dancer, a  "screaming-at-bugs,-ignorant-about-sports" mom turned in her girly dancing shoe ways to explore the outdoors with her children.  Spring meant loading up the car with nets, jars and picnic lunches to venture out to the nearby river-flowing park.  My four little ducklings (and later five) would excitedly gather in the van for a tadpole hunting adventure.  Before we exited our van, I would give all the precautions, because I had very small ones at the time.  The three boys would listen intently and follow all rules...I was not going to have to pull them from the stream.  MY DAUGHTER (just so you're sure which one it was) always nodded in agreement with a subtle smile, warning you that following the rules for her were (and still are)... optional.

Each year this energetic, nature-hiking mother would believe the past year's excursion would NOT be repeated ....but then tradition means repeated events...RIGHT?


Yesterday, I took number six on a tadpole hunt.  This time, it was only him and me.   We ventured down to the nearby creek.  As we walked, I told him about the tradition that was established by "Sissy".

Through giggles, he asked me questions about my adventures with "Sissy," while we explored for tadpoles.

"Yes, Sissy................."  that's right. Each year my ONLY GIRL, with the twinkle of "rules are option" in her eyes would FALL into the creek!  Not just once, not just twice, but EVERY year.  Somehow she would manage to "SLIP" into the creek.  All the boys would laugh and say, "NICOLE!!" as we would pull her from the water.

I will know if they read my blog - now age 27, 22, 20 and 25!
I know we found tadpoles and we brought them home to our little pond...for science, but the memory that became tradition was her falling into the creek.

My little one laughs over what "Sissy" did and this mother looks back and smiles also..."Yes, Sissy ALWAYS fell into the creek!"  I am sure there were times this unprepared mother (who didn't bring an extra set of clothes or towels) didn't think it was all that silly. But as we all tell the story of tadpole hunting, that is what we all remember.

Now that "Sissy" is still transitioning through her stages of life like the tadpole, she might even be "kissing some frogs"...but I know the Prince of Peace holds her in His hands.  Thank you God, for tadpoles and falling into the creek, which continues to remind this mother that "slipping" can later be celebrated as a tradition.

Don't we all kiss some frogs in life before we really enjoy the Prince?
Oh, daughter approved post...she loved it!

36 Joining in with more words:

Karen said...

Great "fun" memories!

Mary said...

such sweet memories...
we had a creek in the back of one of our homes. i remember my oldest running home and yelling, mom, mom, we have lobsters in the creek. they were craw-fish!! make me smile big...still does.

oh, we were at the nature center a few weeks back...we saw a tadpole that had to be more than half a foot, and quite wide. bull frog??

Vee said...

What a cute post! Hope that Nicole thinks so, too. :D

Marsha Young said...

Thanks for sharing such a fun memory. Each family seems to have at least "one" who just isn't cut from the same mold as the rest!

Have a wonderful day...Marsha

Farm Girl said...

What a sweet picture! Yes, that is how I think of my grand daughter, she is there among boys and she is the one who falls in and all of that. It just seems like it went so fast doesn't it?
I loved those days when we loaded up in the car and took off for science day.

Simple Home said...

What a sweet tradition. I remember going crawdad hunting with my brother, and falling in myself :-) This was at a park by the beach in So. Cal. too. I doubt if there are any crawdads there anymore.
Sissy sounds like my Micaela :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Karen said...

Wow! What fun! And, what a great tradition! I love that you included a pic of your oldest 4 as youngsters. I'm sure they will be delighted!

Leckeres für Mensch und Katze - Goodies for a pleasant life said...

I just want to say: I love Lucy! :) Lg Tina

Maryann said...

What a fun post and such sweet memories. You'll probably see some of these same traditions being repeated when your children begin having children of their own

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this so much! Thanks for sharing and I love the photos.

no spring chicken said...

Interesting how traditions become traditions not because we intended for them to but because, as you say, "tradition is just repeated events".

Did I get the quote right? I don't want to leave this page to check. Well, anyway, if I didn't, this is what your post said to me. Loved it!!

Blessings, Debbie

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

Ah, traditions, we all have them. I realy enjoyed reading about your's and seeing the pictures. You have a gorgeous family!

Theresa said...

Oh yeah...way too many frogs before finding my prince! But what a prince he is :)
Your little guy looks a lot like your 22 year old in that picture. Nicole is a good sport.

Debbie said...

I loved this post Janette! Such wonderful, sweet memories! Adventures your right that they will remember for always. I enjoyed seeing the pic of your oldest 4 from years ago. ENJOY this time with your little one! HUGS

Debbie said...

Oh, I love this! It was good all the way through, but when you brought it all home with that last paragraph about slipping, I just wanted to clap.

Here's to wonderful family traditions!

Crown of Beauty said...

THis was such a delightful post to read.

One girl in a family of all boys will always have a very special place... in hearts... in memories.

I think "Sissy" Nicole is cute - for establishing a tradition of falling into the creek. (And yes, I have a sneaking suspicion that she did it on purpose.)

Lovely picture!

Thank you for sharing this. Just want to know... did number six fall into the creek?

Love
Lidj

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

I was just waiting for Benjamin to 'fall into the creek'... having been given 'persmission' from Sissy!! ")

And yes... there were definitely some frogs in my memory!

So cute Janette!

xo

Christine said...

You nailed the of definition tradition for me!
Tadpole hunting wasn't one of our family traditions but Oh-What-Fun!

How did you come up with this tradition if you were such a girly girl? Having four boys?

Crickit said...

What a fun tradition and wonderful memories! I remember hunting for tad poles when I was a kid and watching them turn into frogs. I especially love that your daughter has the "prince of peace" who holds her in His hands! What a blessing! :)

Unknown said...

Loved it. That will be my Brandon when we look back and hopefully laugh someday-he always breaks the rules and if someone is going to fall into anything, anywhere, it would and will be him. lol
Hope you are having a great week. We are starting to wind down both in HS and public school. Just next week left. Brandon's appointment got moved up at Children's to May 25th. so if you think of it pray for us. If things aren't different (good different like the cyst is gone or the leg has grown) then we will be looking at surgery sometime this summer. I am just not ready or wanting that again so soon. I will keep you posted. Thanks dear friend.
Love ya-keep hunting those tadpoles. :) We used to love to do that too.
Hugs
Jill

Tanna said...

Janette, I LOVE this post! It is all about the stories that become family lore. Forever and ever these are the memories that bind families together. Love that you put up your dancing shoes and climbed in the creek. blessings ~ tanna

Ginny Marie said...

What a great story! I would love to take my girls tadpole hunting sometime! I love that it was your girl who always fell into the creek! :)

Finding Joy said...

I use to love tadpole hunting. I would spend hours playing the creek on the farm and bring home all sorts of things. Thank you for bringing back some fond memories.

Sue said...

I can't tell you how much this post meant to me Janette, as it brought back such wonderful memories for me, I used to do the same with our boys, and haven't thought about it in such a long time... When memories like this are rekindled it brings such joy to the participants.

And yes I am so glad for my Prince,,,As always thank you for warming my heart.
Hugs,
Sue

Lisa said...

Janette,
I am reading "The Council of Dads" and there is a beautiful story in there about tadpoles. I guess I need to study up on them. I don't think I've ever even seen a tadpole. I know my boys used to catch and play with them when they were much younger and we lived in a lakeside community. But they had strict instructions from me to leave them in their natural habitat! LOL!
Kids grow up so fast, don't they? I never believed it when I was potty training and running carpool, but it is true. Thank God for those precious mommy memories.:)

no spring chicken said...

I forgot to tell you that the caramels turned out delicious. I didn't even have time to get a picture I was so stressed about getting them done before school let out! Next time, I'm dipping them in chocolate after they harden...

Blessings, Debbie

A multi-dimensional life said...

What a riot! Your daughter must have inherited a little bit of that adventerous spirit from her mother...huh?! :) What cherished memories you all have!
I'm still smiling about your comment about kissing frogs,but knowing the prince of peace holds her in his hands! Yes, he does! And she is a princess, despite her childhood love of tadpoles! haha!
You are so blessed, my friend! xo

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

A very special post because there are very special memories here.

Our oldest grandchild (age 13)has taken his Pop-Pop (my husband) "Frogging" several times each week all summer long since he was just a 'tadpole' himself. There was never been a slip into the water but lots of memories of a little guy with a very big net. I wonder just how much longer frogging will be fun for him.

Callie said...

Wow. What a beautiful metaphor and a lovely lesson for a mother of two young girls. I love how you crafted this post. I'm so glad I read it.

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for leaving a comment.

Bethany said...

I love traditions, thank you for sharing yours. Enjoyed it very much.

Canadagirl said...

You write such wonderful stories with such deep meaning. I pray your dd realizes that she doesn't "have" to kiss some frogs and she can wait for her prince. She will have less scars and waiting in the Lord is sooooo much better. I will pray for her to find her prince.

Blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC (sweet sister in Christ)
In Him<><
-Mary

Canadagirl said...

Ohh I know what it feels like to fall into the cold creek. [o; I loved reading this and pray the Lord continues to give you posts like this to convey what He wants.

Blessings and ((HUGS))
-Mary

Lorie said...

Oh I miss those days so much! Very sweet post.

Sharon said...

Yes, I've had my share of frog-kissing.

I just love traditions that got started with some silly mishap. We have a ton of them. And they are the *glue* that often brings us together in laughter.

I wonder if God does the same thing with us? The times when we thought all was lost and ruined, when we couldn't see our way clear, the times when we "slipped and fell" - and yet, the times that turned out to be times when He showed up BIGTIME!

"Hey Peter, remember that time in the storm...?"

Thanks for this delightful post, and for triggering some fun memories of my own - and a great spiritual lesson!

GOD BLESS!

myletterstoemily said...

what a darling story! poor sissy. my kids
brought home tadpoles from the local
museum's pond every summer. i can't
believe i let them do that, but it just
seemed so innocent in the grand scheme
of things.

i hope your daughter never has to kiss
any frogs but my girls did . . . and so did
i.

Debbie Petras said...

We just read a book to the little three year olds about tadpoles. They were fascinated. What fun it would be to explore and find them. I can just picture you with your children and your daughter falling in. Such fun. And I'm so glad that you are continuing that tradition with your youngest too.

Love you,
Debbie

Related Posts with Thumbnails