Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Two Gardeners


Two women sat down to have a chat as one glanced over to admire the orchids so beautifully blooming on the specially built shelves in the host home.  Above the orchids were specific lights bought to encourage the growth of these delicate beauties.  The avid gardener began to explain to the amateur gardener the effort it took to encourage an orchid to bloom.  Without once saying, "you can't grow them, don't even try!"... the amateur gardener received the warning into her heart.

Each time the amateur gardener would see orchids, she would become intimidated by their growth and curious how anyone could take all that time and effort for one plant.  Her schedule was way too busy to even suggest such folly with her time, she must wait until a calmer season of life, if ever to try to grow an orchid.

However, the amateur gardener's husband never heard the implied, unspoken words that his wife received many decades earlier, so he joyfully recovered the discarded plant from the trash to bring home to his wife.  In his eyes, his wife would enjoy the plant.  As he cheerfully brought the plant in, waiting for expressions of excitement, he was surprised to receive the opposite.  "Oh, an orchid!  I can't grow those! That is why they tossed it after it bloomed. Those are for experienced gardeners, and I am not one."

He looked up puzzled and said, "well, it was for free and you could try..." as he set it on the table.  The amateur gardener read the instructions and with fear and trepidation decided to give it a try, even if she believed it was a waste of time.

Two ice cubes for watering...that was easy, but she wasn't going to do more.  She was sure it would cost money, so she would surely watch it wilt and die.  She didn't have the fancy light or the fancy soil...or any of the special equipment her master gardener friend had possessed to bring forth the delicate flowers.


The plant got knocked off the table leaving scars on it's leaves and special dirt fell all over the floor. In spite of the harsh conditions, it continued to survive.

To the amateur's astonishment it even began to have buds!  Then the buds began to open to reveal the beauty of a stem of orchids.
No special light...just the sun from the door.
No special treatment ...just ice cubes every few days!



The true Master Gardener brings forth His beauty in His own way...through scarred leaves and amateur hands.  He works His wonders.  The blooms are a reminder that I too, am in the Master's hands....His will not mine, as He takes His scarred hands and completes the work He has begun.

What words (intended or not) have you believed which have caused you NOT to try something?  For me, the orchid is a reminder of how I allowed a seed to be planted...though unintended by the sower...I was almost robbed of seeing the beauty of my own orchid plant.  It also reminds me that God is the Master Gardener and He brings forth the beautiful blessings of the blossoms.

54 Joining in with more words:

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Your saved orchid is beautiful! Don't believe growing orchids is difficult. The less you do the more they flourish. I have blooming orchids almost always. They send up shoots about two-three times a year and the flowers remain for several months. I don't move them and water a bit on Mon and Friday as I do all of my house plants. I get maybe one or two new leaves each year. That's it.

Aren't those flowers amazing!

Once when Abbey was little she tugged on one of the stems to 'smell' the flowers. Yup, snapped the stem off. Oh, well :)

Angela said...

Love the orchid! And love the lesson! Too many times I give up before I even get started. Now YOU are a good "you can do it" friend. Thanks for all your encouragement:)

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
camp and cottage living said...

Janette
You should write a devotional!
I love your true story and how it relates to our relationship with our Lord. Keep writing!
blessings-Kimberly

Karen said...

so glad HE is cultivating my soil and making me bloom at times. :) Beautiful post & beautiful pic

Vee said...

Oh that is an amazing plant and flower...your photography is wonderful. I also think that I can not raise an orchid. Hmmm...

Kathy said...

Great Orchid. Amazing that all you need is ice cubes - reminds me I need to go 'water' my Orchids!
Have a great day,
Kathy

Maryann said...

Just checked my leaves...they are pretty beat up and scarred but I love being under the care of the Master Gardener...The orchid is lovely
This was a blessing

Theresa said...

Hi Janette! Beautiful post, as usual :)

Deborah Ann said...

Wow, this message has so much deeper meaning to it than I can even fathom right now! This is absolutely beautiful...

Anonymous said...

Ms. Janette!!! How nice to see your name pop up. Long time no see. I absolutely LOVE your header, makes me feel like I'm right there. How lovely.
Looking forward to visiting and catching up. I'll stop by tomorrow with more time to read your latest goodies.
Love and blessings.
MUAH!!!

Crickit said...

What a beautiful orchid! I am so glad that you hung in there with it! :)

Vickie said...

Great picture lesson, Janette. I'm so glad that God can work with "used", "broken", "worn", and "imperfect". Makes me feel like I still have a chance! Your orchid is lovely!

Debbie said...

The orchid is beautiful...my mom's favorite and she has a few beautiful ones. I have never even attempted to grow one. I really love your lesson though that went along with it. Such wisdom always found here. Hope you had a good day! HUGS

A multi-dimensional life said...

So beautiful and so true that the master's scarred hands complete the work He has begun despite any neglect or lack of wisdom on our part...he grows us up! Beautiful post! xoxo

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

A long time ago I learned nothing is impossible with God. If it is in his plan,and His will, there will be away, maybe not in the way you expected, but then He is the Master Creator and Father, and He knows best, every single time. Great post, Janette. Your anthology is perfect.

Petra said...

Beautiful reminder., thank you!

"What words (intended or not) have you believed which have caused you NOT to try something?" I'm a perfectionist (or big chicken, depending how you look at it) because of many of such words. I'm also a procrastinator (or chicken...) because of many such words echoing in my mind. I'm working on both. Actually, God's been working on both by doing little big things similar to the blooming orchid of your post! :-)

Debbie said...

I can't be sure because I have loved so many posts here, but I THINK this might be my very favorite one.

Oh the words I've heard over the years, and yes, many of them were not even said.

I need to get some of my "orchids" out of the garbage and believe.

Canadagirl said...

What a WONDERFUL story and analogy my sweet friend. I needed to hear that. I have been hearing the can'ts and shouldn'ts to much lately. Not from others so much but from the evil one. I need to hear the Lord's still voice and tune my ear unto Him. Thank you for blessings me today.

Blessings and ((HUGS))
-Mary

Farm Girl said...

Wow that is nice, I am so glad you got it too bloom. I never knew that about orchids. I am not a fan of them but I am afraid knowing how I react, I would have went out and started them growing in every single area in my house. I am a butt head that way. I once spent a whole paycheck on perfume for my Mom when the sales lady wouldn't show me a perfume that was popular because I couldn't afford it.
Flaw in my nature I guess, but you are so sweet and I loved how you linked it to God. He does do the impossible in our lives. He never throws us away either no matter how we have been banged up by the world.
I loved this thank you for sharing.

Sally said...

I want to give props to your husband for picking up the sad plant and bringing it home. He has great confidence in your abilities and look how right he was! Psychologically, it takes seven times for a positive comment to stick and only once for a negative one.

Always Nesting said...

I just love how you see and live God's lessons. So often we have the reminders of His grace, like the plant thriving, we also thrive under His care.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

..through scarred leaves and amateur hands. This is beautiful Janette....He really does what nothing else can....with broken wounded people like me.....Staying close to Him is the only way I can grow.....Wishing you a beautiful day out there. I love your spirit.

Nancy said...

What a beautiful story of the redemptive work of God...I thought too that orchid are hard to grow but no matter how hard we are God gently grows us into the person He wants us to be....

Great post sweet girl...

Elizabeth Dianne said...

Beautiful flower--great analogy--loved this!

myletterstoemily said...

i loved your story and your orchid
is gorgeous! two birds with one . . .
ice cube?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story and analogy, Janette.
On another note, now you have me fantasizing about painting wheelbarrows...

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Great, great entry and loved the analogy. I've contemplated growing orchids myself but haven't "gone there" just yet. I can grow some gorgeous African Violets though.

Happy weekend to you!

Crown of Beauty said...

THe orchid is beautiful. Even before I read the ending of this post, I knew that orchid was yours. ANd I was right!

Beautiful story. powerful analogy.

Lovely end of March post!

My favorite month as well.

Happy to reconnect with you dear friend.

Love
Lidia

Lisa said...

I love the story, Janette. We are so quick to believe the lies of the enemy and slow to believe the promises of God, aren't we?
PS The orchid is beautiful!

Rebecca said...

I need to get me an orchid! This lesson is one I'm STILL learning...Thanks for the reminder, Janette.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

What a good lesson!

Orchids are so beautiful!

Leslie @ Farm Fresh Fun said...

Boy did I learn this lesson and *try* to be careful with my own words... My own sweet mother told me I should give up horseback riding as she didn't think I'd ever to learn trot (at age 10). By age 13 I was earning pay for riding other peoples horses! Nothing is impossible with God's help and a lot of perseverance.Your flower is gorgeous! You grow girl!!! ;-)
xo
Leslie

Anonymous said...

alprazolam drug can really buy xanax online - does generic xanax work

Anonymous said...

xanax without a perscription pass mouth swab drug test xanax - xanax get u high

Anonymous said...

diazepam online diazepam 5mg wiki - buy xanax diazepam

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam what does valium do to the body - que es mas fuerte diazepam o bromazepam

Anonymous said...

buy valium online buy valium online no prescription canada - valium use in pregnancy

Anonymous said...

diazepam dosage for dogs diazepam side effects canine - buy diazepam online legally usa

Anonymous said...

buy ativan ativan uses alcohol withdrawal - quit smoking with ativan

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam online diazepam insufflation - diazepam withdrawal after short term use

Anonymous said...

order xanax best place buy xanax online forum - xanax withdrawal stories

Anonymous said...

cheap zolpidem how many ambien 10 mg to overdose - ambien 5 mg pill

Anonymous said...

valium online no prescription valium 5mg tablets diazepam - buy valium online no prescription uk

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online ambien cr voucher - ambien withdrawal dizziness

Anonymous said...

buy valium online buy valium no prescription online - valium online illegal

Anonymous said...

valium online no prescription valium side effects elderly - valium side effects risks

Anonymous said...

buy generic ambien online ambien cr sales - ambien cheaper than lunesta

Anonymous said...

discount valium valium pharmacy - smoking valium pills

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online ambien side effects loss of appetite - zolpidem tartrate versus ambien

Anonymous said...

Blogger: Janette's Sage - Post a Comment buy prednisone online - buy prednisolone http://www.ourdailybreadmarket.net/#buy-prednisolone

Anonymous said...

6, order provigil online - provigil cost http://www.provigilonlinediscount.com/#order-provigil, [url=http://www.provigilonlinediscount.com/#provigil-online-order]provigil no rx[/url]

Anonymous said...

2, lamisil online - cost of lamisil http://www.fastlamisilorder.net/index.html, [url=http://www.fastlamisilorder.net/index.html]Lamisil Sale[/url]

Anonymous said...

g, Chemistry Online - http://www.onlinewritinghelp101.com/chemistry.html#chemistry-assignments, [url=http://www.onlinewritinghelp101.com/chemistry.html#chemistry-assignments]Chemistry Assignments[/url]

Related Posts with Thumbnails