Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Thursday, March 1, 2012

My Dr, Seuss Tree


Just how do you want to be known in your new neighborhood?  Well, before you answer, I  am sure what I suggest is not the impression you are thinking... it likely wouldn't be on your list.

Usually, traffic-teenager-and-mail-lady stopping usually isn't on the list of how to impress your new neighbors. Well, that is what has happened this week... each time with a smile and excitement over my new addition to our front yard...which made it all okay!

The warm, breezy weather this week brought with it a whimsical feeling.  Just as the wind change in Mary Poppins could be felt by those outside... so was the feeling I felt as I started to create.  I guess this time the changing of the wind brought a magical sense of Dr. Seuss.


Could it be that we have watched the premier of The Lorax  or that age has won me the privilege of saying,
"whatever"?... I am not sure of the answer.


Today, I want to introduce you to my Dr. Seuss Tree.  Now my retired, first-grade-teacher-neighbor got it right away.  The mail lady stopped to discuss how to make one in her yard because she loved it so much and a teen on his skate board actually looked up for a brief second to tell me, "how cool".

My second inspiration this week came from another child's book.  Since having a child's heart not only makes us feel younger, it makes us remember that Christ said, "come as a child".  I guess this Easter season I am working on my child's heart.  I think this is also included in my "spunky category" word for the year.

At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven?” And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of Heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven."  Matt. 18:1-3

34 Joining in with more words:

Vee said...

Oh I just love it! I think that my daughter-in-law would, too, and the grands. So cute and clever you are!

Vee said...

And now that I've come back to earth and read the rest of your post, thank you for the spiritual application as well.

Unknown said...

My 10 year old walked past as I was reading your blog and saw the pictures and said "cooool" how did they do that? It is just wonderful. I absolutely love it. Really creative and cute. Did you glue the pots too one another too or just use the rod down the middle? I just think it is precious.
I am always a child at heart and that is the scripture I quote -I am just following orders. :)
Love ya-have a happy day creating-can't wait to see what is next.
Hugs

Nancy said...

I love the combination of the Scripture and your Dr. Seuss tree...fit perfectly....Now I am off to be a child and try one for myself...Thanks sweet friend....

Angela said...

Very fun! I'm glad to know that you are getting some admiration from the neighbors :)

NanaNor's said...

Hi Janette, I love your pots-they are adorable and so different. I can well imagine how you gave many a smile with them-you are very creative.
Have a delightful day!
Hugs, Noreen

Pom Pom said...

Hi Janette! I love the whimsy! I do! VERY cute! This is Read Across America Day! How fitting!

Tanna said...

You are my hero, Janette!!! Love that Dr. Suess tree... and more than that, the heart that created it. blessings ~ tanna

Theresa said...

What a fun neighbor you are! It looks so cool :)

Trisha said...

Awesome, Janette! You are amazing!

Farm Girl said...

That is such a totally great Dr. Seuss tree. Today is his birthday right?
You did such a nice job. It does look like spring!

Eric VanRaepenbusch said...

This is very unique. Love it!

If you are interested, I would invite you to share a link this post on my blog, Happy Birthday Author, to help us celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday.

Here is a link to the linky:

http://www.happybirthdayauthor.com/2012/02/happy-birthday-dr-seuss-march-2.html

Anonymous said...

Janette,
I started by looking at your header and remembering how talented you are with paint - on wall, floors, etc..
Your Dr. Seuss tree is another example of your fun and wonderful creativity.
It looks terrific!

Debbie said...

This is my favorite thing you've done so far. I absolutely LOVE it your whimsy.

No. Make that SPUNK.

Beyond that, I love the way you applied the scriptures in a personal way. Oh, that we can all come to Him as a child.

Maryann said...

This is awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow - Really love this Janette! Very Suessian! And, just in time for his birthday tomorrow. I'll be breaking out my Suess hat to wear all day!

Joy!
Kathy

Sandy said...

This just may be the cutest thing you've ever come up with. I love it. I might have to try this for our front yard. Wonder what Shaun would think of that??
Hugs!

Sally said...

Wow, very impressive and so interesting. Love the plantings. What a fun time to be at your house.

Debbie said...

Oh Janette, I just love it...soo cute. I can just imagine the stir in the neighborhood..Soo creative. Hope you had a good day...

Petra said...

You're so creative! I'd make one if, a) I'd know which plants are touch enough for my not so green thumb and negligence, and b) how to shoot squirrels. Okay, maybe not shoot them... but I have seen them eat my flowers! I have totally wacko squirrels. :-)

Christine said...

Oh how I'd love to have you in our neighborhood!
I'm always ready to play.

Debbie Petras said...

Oh I love this Janette. How clever you are to come up with such creative ideas. You are a fun mom! Our school didn't even remember Dr. Seuss' birthday but I did see it on Facebook.

I love how you are bringing out the child in you. I love the Scripture verse too. As you know, I am seeing the world through children's eyes each day now and ...loving it.

Love,
Debbie

Always Nesting said...

That is so cute and would look adorable in my yard!

no spring chicken said...

That is just terrific. I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it EXCEPT for Dr. Seuss. :)
And you got a teen-boarder to look up and comment? I definitely think its not just 'cool' but a witnessing tool... If people in your neighborhood don't already know you are a believer, they will. And when they put that together with you landscaping style they will decide that contrary to what they always believed... Jesus is cool!

Blessings, Debbie

Crickit said...

This is adorable.. I love it! It looks like you may have lots of people knocking on your door for orders! :)

Sue said...

OH! i just love this janette, as I love color in my yard and garden! You never cease to amaze me with your gifts and talents.
I also love how you have placed the right scripture with such a delightful post!
Enjoyed catching up on your last post as well!, and seeing Benjamin digging in the garden was a treat for me!
Enjoy your day, I am so glad to be out visiting today.
Hugs,
Sue

Lisa said...

I love it! What a traffic stopper! I'm still not sure how it all stays up. I must study the pics.LOL! Have you taken Ben to see the Lorax yet? It looks cute.

Lisa said...

I love it! What a traffic stopper! I'm still not sure how it all stays up. I must study the pics.LOL! Have you taken Ben to see the Lorax yet? It looks cute.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, we are all such Dr. Seuss fans and I do love, love that planter. Just how cute is that! Happy weekend!

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

You are so creative, Janette. Thank you for sharing your creativity with us! You are an inspiration.

Canadagirl said...

I think I need work on my child heart some this year, definitely. Thank you for being a inspiration. [o=

Blessings and ((HUGS))!
-Mary

Sharon said...

Janette, you are one of the most whimsical people I know. I just LOVE this idea. And I love that it opened up conversation with so many people.

What's next? A sculpture of Horton??

And yes, childlike faith - it's a treasure worth finding and keeping.

GOD BLESS!

Rebecca said...

I ♥ BOTH books - obviously one more than the other! What a great Seuss tree!

Leslie @ Farm Fresh Fun said...

Perfect! And I'm envying you the flowers n warmth as it was 21 degrees this am! Thanks for making me *feel* warm anyway! My visits here always do!
xoxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails