Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Friday, March 19, 2010

Homemade Bread...It Worked

One of my goals, after cleaning out my pantry, was to learn to make Artisan bread.  I decided that I had to make healthy bread, which would bring more fiber into our diet.  I made the purchase of "Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day" by Jeff Hertzberg, MD & Zoe Francois, along with my ingredients.

With the help of my four year old, which meant flour all over the kitchen, I made two batches of bread.  I did see that I don't have the strength in my wrist to mix the ingredients by hand, so I pulled out my mixer.  Within just minutes I had the bread mixed and ready to set on the counter.
After two hours of letting it rest on the counter, I moved the bowl to the refrigerator, waiting for the time to make bread.

I was able to make three loaves from the 100% Whole Wheat Bread with Olive Oil, made a dozen Bran Muffins and three loaves.

Each turned out great.  The second week I tried 100% Whole Wheat and Flaxseed Bread with more success.   I have now shared my excitement with a friend, whose teenage son was eating my muffins while at the house.


Who would have thought making such healthy bread for my family would be this easy.  There wasn't any kneading and I had a mix in the refrigerator for each day.  You do need to remember it takes time for the dough to rise and bake.

Next week, I am going to try other bread and pizza dough recipes.

So I have accomplished one of my goals this year....even if it took me three months!!!

3 Joining in with more words:

Susan said...

I've been considering buying this book. We love fresh bread around here, but I simply don't have the wrist strength (carpal tunnel syndrome) to do the kneading. Bread machine bread is good, but not really the same as a good artisan bread, and I've never gotten satisfactory results with whole grain breads. I simply must get this book:-) And thank you for visiting my blog. Blessings!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I used my Kitchen Aid to mix the ingredients and that was all. I sent a loaf to my neighbor...it really is good and the crust is great.
Enjoyed visiting your blog.

Alice said...

Congrats! I'm a bread baker, too. After years of trial and error, I have got my system down (with God's grace of course).

My bread also requires very little kneading, I do plan to blog it in the near future.

Related Posts with Thumbnails