Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Tuesday, May 22, 2012

They Are Back!



I can still vividly recall my mother's dressing table.  Sta-foam heads, we had dressed up with colored penciled, held her wigs.  The boxes of false eyelashes and glue set on the table.  My mother was in-style.

My neighbor has just struggled through three of her five chemo treatments.  She planned  in advance and bought wigs long before they were needed.  She came over one day and ask if I would be truthful and let her know if they looked good on her.  I was so honored, and they did.  I kissed her on the cheek while reminding her of her beauty .  This week held another part of her journey...the hair loss has now taken away her eyebrows and eyelashes.


With life-filled laughter she said, "well one good thing about all this is, I am learning to be more stylish. I never would have tried shorter hair and even eyelashes!"  I just loved it.  She is facing the cancer giant and staring it back with laughter and style.  She looks beautiful and excited about her new adventurous look.

Hey all of it is back in style!   Her and I both agreed it was time for both of us to become less frumpy.  I think I will go down and find me some eye-lashes.  I think I will join her at her make-up table and together we will laugh while we apply eye-lashes and maybe some Pinterest style eye-shadow.  I am sure I will learn more from her than just how to apply the stylish make-up.
A cheerful heart is good like medicine. Proverbs 17:22


Eye-lashes even come for cars now!!!
I have had fun jumping out and taking pictures with my phone...Ben, not so sure about his mom!

Are you wearing fake eye-lashes?  Are you going to try them?  How about for your car?  What style is coming back that you remember and plan to repeat?

31 Joining in with more words:

Tamara said...

This is a wonderful post! Kudos to you and your neighbor. Love the lashes on the car. My daughter got a mustache for hers. Who knew?

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I am sure your neighbor appreciates your thoughtfulness through this time of treatment. I notice my cousin wearing eyelashes and thought they looks very nice, but not nearly as adorable as the ones on the cars! I have a daughter that, if she saw this, would doll-up her car too :)

no spring chicken said...

God bless your friend. How thankful she must be to have someone who reminds of her beauty and helps her laugh. You're a treasure Janette. (And you can tell Benjamin I said so!) :)

Blessings, Debbie

Vee said...

No, I don't wear fake anything. I'm impressed with your friend willing to do what it takes to look her best. Many blessings to her!

Patty Marker said...

What a wonderful attitude your friend has. I have been thinking lately about how frumpy I have let myself get. Not sure about false eye lashes though but definitely a little more stylish clothes are in order. Great post.

Farm Girl said...

Wow that is so sweet, about your friend. I love those little cars with eyelashes and the looks on Benjamen's face, like come on Mom.
No, I have never had any desire for false eyelashes, I won't say never because next time there is a wedding around here I just might. I am not a person who spends much time in front of the mirror.
I think you are so much fun. You just make me laugh.

Angela said...

I guess my momma taught me that looking' good can help you get through hard things, so I'm all for a little bling, although I've never tried false eyelashes :)

Angela said...

I guess my momma taught me that looking' good can help you get through hard things, so I'm all for a little bling, although I've never tried false eyelashes :)

Lisa said...

My 17 year old is a pro at putting fake eyelashes on! She wore them for prom a couple of weeks ago and then went over and put some on her cousin for her prom. I'm not that adventurous...yet.:)
Your neighbor sounds like a sweetie!

Debbie said...

Good morning! I am soo happy your friend has got someone like you in her life. What a blessing I just know you are to her.

Melody has always worn false eyelashes on special occasions and used to try and put them on me for special times too. I am WAY too impatient to mess with them myself. BUT!! My niece Jessica (the hair stylist) had a friend who was getting into the permanent eye lash business and was looking for a few to practice on, and wanted a "senior" for one of her models. Sooo I let her. WOW!! How I loved this....sooo natural looking (though mine are not even close to that naturally,lol) I didn't have to mess with mascara or anything. I just loved having them on. She did the "fills" for me (you need to do this about every 6 weeks) for 10 dollars twice, but then my cut rate was over and so was my fake eye lash era, lol. They are SUPER expensive so I would never do them on my own, but how I loved them while I had them. I need all the help I can get....My niece also did extensions for me for a while as she will do them for the price of the hair. Also VERY expensive otherwise. But I took those out over a year ago...definitely bothered me. I am amazed at how many women wear these expensive false eyelashes and extensions etc. though.

The pic of Benjamin reminded so much of my little Jeffie. Just the look I would have gotten from him had I had him pose by the car. I think the eyelashes on the car are darling btw.

Have a good day...sorry for the book. :-)

Anonymous said...

Great post! I've been thinking about the eyelashes. I still have decent eyelashes, but my eyelids are starting to...uh...sag?, so my eyelashes are not so apparent.

Nearly Martha said...

Been there and done that. Kept my hair pixie short for ages after my illness because I liked the look. Don't forget to tell you friend that eyelashes grow back. My biggest disappointment about this was that I never lost my hairy legs!

myletterstoemily said...

if you get false eye lashes, you MUST
take a pic! i had those lash extensions
that supposedly look natural.

nope. and they made MY lashes fall
out. sigh.

luckily they grew back. :)

Petra said...

I'm not going to wear them, Janette, I'm beautiful just like I is. :-D But, I would like to have one of those pink mary kay smart cars, lol.

Sounds like you have a very special friend. Blessings!

NanaNor's said...

Hi Janette, Way to encourage your friend. As we age, I have found my own eyelashes has gotten pretty sparse-even though I had thick long lashes when I was younger. I think all the hair feel off and ended up on my face. I sure would try them, especially if i had a friend who needed to wear them.
You are a wonderful friend Janette-most of us need someone like you in our lives. Hugs, Noreen

Judy said...

I haven't seen eyelashes on cars, but I'm going to be watching now. What a hoot!

Sandy said...

Growing up in the 60's when the Beatles, Twiggy, and the whole mod look was so in, I, like all my friends, wore false lashes. Mom didn't let me wear them to school, just on weekends. They were great fun and I liked them. I stopped wearing them after a while though because my own lashes were so long anyway, I didn't really need them.I pray all the best for your neighbor, that she comes through the treatments feeling well, regains her strength, and keeps her great sense of humor.
Blessings~

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

this is so funny, I just threw a pack of them into the trash. I got them about 10 years ago and never had the nerve to try, afraid the glue would land in my eyeball! But hey... make a believer out of me and I might buy some more. :)

Theresa said...

I haven't seen the eyelashes on cars yet but I think I may have bought some about 20 years ago- LOL. That is when I had pink pin stripes on my black car.
You are such a great neighbor- how blessed your neighbors are to have you!

Unknown said...

Really cute !! Loved the car. Okay, my next trip up I will bring my Mary Kay and you can invite your neighbor and we will do a make over how about that?! You are so sweet-I will be praying for your neighbor-I would really not be dealing with losing my hair and eyelashes very well I am afraid. I want the pink car with the lashes. :)
Love ya
Hugs
Jill

Pom Pom said...

You are so kind, Janette. Really walking with her like you are, that's holy.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, how I remember trying to wear eyelashes 100 years ago. Mercy me! I bet they are much improved now so maybe I should give them a try.

Know your friend has appreciated your reaching out to her at such a difficult time.

Blessings!

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

What a good friend and neighbor you are, Janette. Praying for your neighbor, may she find total healing at the end of her treatment. I love the new lashes. I should try some since mine are getting thin....But then, maybe I will just look like a silly old lady trying to look younger....

Shelley said...

I do not 'remember' this style (too young) but I do love it ... the vintage/retro look. I've been buying fabric and making some simple A-Line skirts ... having fun with it ... not sure about the eye-lashes though - lol

Nancy said...

What a jewel you are sweet friend...Your friend is blessed to have you around to encourage and make her laugh through such a difficult time in her life....It sounds like she is tackling her situation with humor and a good dose of making the most of loss hair.....I admire her courage.....

Angel @ Finding The Inspiring said...

Love this post! Well, I have yet to try the fake eyelashes but that doesn't mean they're not in my future. I am going to get my hair done tomorrow though and hoping to walk out looking less "frumpy" myself.

Blessings to you and your friend! And, btw, thank you for stopping by my blog this week. :)

Sally said...

I want to try the eyelashes, are they difficult to put on??

Tanna said...

I love that you are so good to share this time with your friend. I know your laughter together is the best medicine she can get right now! Hmmmm... I'm lovin' the car eyelashes... still thinking Jubilee may need her some of those. LOL! Never even considered any for me... I'm guessing the droopy eyelids might detract from them a bit. hee hee. blessings ~ tanna

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I've never worn false eyelashes and wouldn't even know how to put them on. :) But I love your friend's attitude and your jumping in to make her situation easy and fun. Love the pic of Ben in front of that eyelashed car...

Catherine said...

Dear Janette, I will keep your friend in my prayers.
You are a good friend to her.
I don't wear false eyelashes.
I think the car is adorable.
My mom always said that everything comes back in style sooner or later. She was right.
I will keep your neighbor in my thoughts and prayers. Blessings dear Janette. Catherine xo

Maryann said...

Your a good friend to her Janette I know she appreciates it.
Did eyelashes when I was younger, don't plan on trying that again. I do love the hippy dippy look...the long flowing skirts...that is one style I am enjoying again..and the big floppy hats...reminds me of my youth.

Related Posts with Thumbnails