Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Do Your Shoes Match?

I picked them up and threw them into the washing machine. They were covered from our hiking adventure with dried up mud.  You couldn't see what would be revealed after the mud had been washed way.

They tumbled through the washing machine, pounding against the side, twisting and turning through the suds.

The machine stopped  and I opened the lid.  Grabbing down into the darkness I pulled out the shoes.

Aaaahhhhhh........THAT was the problem.

As we ran out the door, I yelled back..."get your shoes! we are going hiking."  We ventured off to grab two more boys for our adventure.  "Adventure" would be a very good word for what happened, but at that time it was being used as an adjective to heighten our walk along trails.


They giggle in the back seat as Benjamin charged himself for the day.  Only boys can think up these things.


The day was cool for an August in Texas and the path was dry..............until we got back into the woods.  Our adventure began as we started walking through MUD, and more MUD, slippery MUD!  The shoes, which I hadn't even looked down upon, were being coated with MUD.

My shoes were weighing down with  MUD.  I hadn't planned on MUD!  I started to encourage my discouraged hikers to push on.  We were now Hobbits with heavy, large feet.  We were on an adventure.  "Just around the bend", I quoted from the Wind and the Willow, we would find dry ground.  At first they just kept complaining and I questioned my own sanity.
We swatted at mosquitoes, while increasing our stride.  I started to tell our fellow hikers that I was glad their mothers loved me and yes, this was a stupid idea.  I felt if I beat them to the punch line it would be better.  Then I just got silly. What do you do?  We couldn't go back, that was even further.  I said, "Okay, no more complaining and for each complaint you have to give me two positive statements about our hike."  Well, I can't say I was a genius, but I do know the Lord heard my cry for help.  Out came the most precious "positive" statements.  My heart begin to overflow.
They begin to be thankful for each discovery.  For the grasshoppers flying before us...and most of all for the MUD!!!

The next day the shoes revealed the reason Benjamin got a blister on his heel.  He had grabbed two different shoes!

Now isn't that life?  We grab the wrong shoes, yet we walk on.  We have a blister, but we still have to learn to look for the positive.  The MUD we hate, because the MUD that turned a regular hike into a real.......                                                                            ...ADVENTURE!

I think these boys will remember our ADVENTURE, and if not, I know I sure will. What a lesson I learned. Just a change of attitude can save the day.

13 Joining in with more words:

Elizabeth Dianne said...

Oh, bless Benjamin's heart--

But it sounds like such a great fun, adventure hike and I love their positive statements--

And grateful for mud--yes, as the mother of three sons I can certainly identify with this.

Warm and uplifting, Janette.

Farm Girl said...

Oh that last picture says it all. Such sweet looks on their faces! Hot but it looks like they had a good day.
You are such a great mom to go do that.
This is very sweet.

Debbie said...

LOLOL! I loved this:
"I was glad their mothers loved me and yes this was a stupid idea."

I could just picture the two of us sitting there as you told this story... laughing until you cried. I loved it from the mismatched beginning to the moral at the end of the story.

It wasn't a stupid idea after all. It was a crazy creative spark!

(And because I know how much you relish your mom time with that little man, I am smiling at the whole thing, muddy shoes and all.)

Debbie said...

LOVED LOVED LOVED this! Yes, quite the adventure! lol Cute and precious picture of the boys!

Vee said...

I have been on a few of those adventures. Hope that time and distance provide even more appreciative thoughts. It can become a highlight of the summer. Positive attitudes are so helpful and healthy! ( Those boys are so cute. )

Christine said...

You know...this is just the best summer story I've heard this year!
Boys and mud go together and when you through in a mom who loves adventure, it's a winner!
Now the miss matched shoes? Well, there is another pair just like them that aren't muddy.

Cute, cute, cute summer story!

Lisa said...

That Benjamin is such a cutie! You are such a good sport to hang out with the guys.:)

Sharon said...

LOVE IT!

I think Benjamin is tremendously blessed to have a mom that is willing to take the step into adventure - even if it means some bumps (mud!) along the way!

You know, one of the things I was reminded of was those 40 years of wandering in the desert that the Israelites did. In all that time, their sandals did not wear out, and they got no blisters.

GOD IS FAITHFUL!!

GOD BLESS!

Tanna said...

AMEN!! And, out of the mouths of babes... bless their precious hearts. Bless yours! hugs ~ tanna

Debbie Petras said...

Oh yes, now I understand that this post reflects that image on Google+. First of all, I had to laugh at Benjamin charging himself. Kids are too funny and think of such silly things, don't they? I love that. And what a story you share. Even mud can turn out to be a positive. Loved it and love you.

Pom Pom said...

You are a fun, fun, fun mama, J!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

LOL! Loved this post, Janette! You were definitely Making Memories with those boys!

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

Janette, that is a challenge to be positive during that "adventure". I have been on many of those kinds of walks, but if I'm out in nature,I can endure a lot of things.....and your analogy about the right shoes fits so perfectly with so many "adventures" in life.

Related Posts with Thumbnails