Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Doodling for Daughter




Earlier this year I took up doodling.  Yes, it is a funny way of saying I took up a fun form of amateur drawing. I loved the look of the fun letters and an excuse to try my hand at this form of art.  I felt it would look wonderful in my scrapbooks, that is to say, if I ever return to put all those photos in a book.  I didn't think it would come in handy so fast.

After a long week I needed paint therapy. When daughter asked for help with her new place, well I jumped at the chance.  YEAH! someone needs me for something fun!  I grabbed my brushes and headed out the door.  She is trying to please her new future hubby, so choosing the right colors and style are very important. I heard all the "he doesn't like, and I can't have"....list from future hubby!  No flowers....nothing that looked too girly....on and on.  I wanted to yell..."but sweetheart you are a girl and will be living here also!!!!"....I didn't, I used the duct tape.  Paint was chosen and I proceeded with her desires, hoping she would come around to maybe something that looked like a woman would live here.
Okay nothing but strips....they could be in the blue, but nothing else.   Well as I painted the walls in the grey she looked at it all and said, "well now that looks too masculine....can we do some shape instead of stripes?"

Finally mother would be able to say what she had envisioned all along.  I picked up the fabric, which I will sew for her shams and suggested the shapes.
Can you guess the shape I saw?  Remember I can't use anything that looks like flowers.  Well my daughter had to leave for work....yeah! just in time!  I was now left to draw and paint.  If worse came to worse I would paint over it.   Are you ready?

I boldly started in the corner...there wasn't any chance of going back, I was committed.


Now to the wall on the other side of the bed.  Each of these would frame the bed.  


I placed a small one above the mirror on the vanity...the fur down.  Another come up the corner of a wall framing her large wardrobe.

I had a blast...daughter was totally delighted.  Now to finish painting her side tables...they are being spray painted silver.  Then on to the headboard and shams for the bed.

Sometimes Mom does something right!  I think this one is a winner....now to wait until March to see what her hubby will say....she is trying to keep it a secret.

23 Joining in with more words:

Sharon said...

Boy, you are one creative mom! What a wonderful gift you are giving them - your time, your creativity - and your heart, which I know is going into every paint stroke!

Love the color scheme, and the whimsical (yet masculine) look of this pattern.

In my humble opinion, it's perfect!

xo

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

You amaze!! I think I'm doing something incredible as I've peeled off old wallpaper... never in my wildest would I have the nerve to do what you've done, and it's beyond beautiful. I know she must be so thrilled. And so will he! You are one savvy mama! :)

Debbie said...

Oh Janette how fun! I LOVE it. I'd really like to see the whole thing. You are soo creatively talented! Mel has very different tastes from me sometimes. She keeps things sooo much simpler (borders plain at times in my opinion, haha) but she let me help quite a bit in Sam's nursery. What fun I had! We are trying to do his big boy room now. Soo hard from 1000 miles away. We exchange soo many emails a day with ideas, pictures etc. How blessed you are to be soo near, and to have her want you to do this. Hope we get to see more!

Debbie said...

Who in the whole world would have dreamed up that wall? Obviously YOU would! I love it and see such a wonderful part of your design personality in it. It's bold yet not bold, if that makes sense.

And I giggled and grinned about her wanting to please the future husband. What a wonderful trait to have. I would say that the two of them are already off on the right track.

Pom Pom said...

Fun! It looks great Janette! I do like painting murals. Maybe I should jazz up my downstairs hall like that! I might!

Debbie Petras said...

You are so creative, amazing and yes daring. I love it and you!

Love,
Debbie

PS. Aren't you glad to see Sonja's face again? I know I am!

Vee said...

Wow. That's so impressive! Yes, she'll get her voice someday. The rest of us have. =D

Tanna said...

OH, WOW!!!! I love it, Janette!!!Soooo very beautiful and full of style! Will your daughter's wedding be the blues and grays, too? This is going to be such a beautiful room!! She's a lucky girl to have you for a mom!! blessings ~ tanna

Nancy said...

Your creativity has outdone itself this time girlfriend.....bold and beautiful....Your daughter is one blessed gal to have you for her Mom...

Mary said...

WOW! This is fabulous!

Vickie said...

OK, girl - now don't tell ME you're not an artist! That's amazing - I'm just talking about the doodles - they are beyond doodling. Now, about that wall - well, new hubby should be tickled PINK! (oh no - that's not masculine...)

GREAT JOB!!! I wanna see the whole thing ASAP!

Farm Girl said...

I can tell you are having fun. It looks great. I wondered what you had been doing lately. Now I know. Just following your bliss. :)

Christine said...

Relationships...that is what I read into this post.
Yours with your daughters.
Daughter with future husband.
And your relationship with a paint brush.

How nice to be able to surprise her with your talents.

Sandy said...

You are so creative, girl! I love it and hope your daughter will too. And the colors are beautiful as well. She is lucky to have you as her mom.
Hugs~

myletterstoemily said...

how in the world do you do all the wonderful
things you do? it's beeeeeeautiful!

Lisa said...

It's beautiful!!! And that fabric is spectacular. You future SIL is going to be thrilled. What a wonderful gift of your talent you are sharing with them.:)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day! I am so glad your daughter loved it, too!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Love, love the fabric and love your design work on the walls. How creative! And, the best part, daughter liked it. Yea! it's a win win for everyone.

Anonymous said...

Look at you -- it is such a treat to see this and how you dared to paint a huge objects on the walls.. totally awesome.. Can't wait to see it all finished - be sure to post the finished room decor...
Hugs

Sue Anne McKinney said...

love it! love that fabric, too! Can't wait to see the big reveal!

Rebecca said...

That is AMAZING! How could he not like it?

no spring chicken said...

Fabulous, fabulous! You are fabulous dahling.

I LOVE the fabric, and the way you tied it to the walls (weird word picture?) is simply FABULOUS! I'm glad you just went with the urge. :)

Blessings, Debbie

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

Oh, yes, I LOVE it when Mom gets something right! (I was even blessed with one of those experience myself lately.) What a fun room this is going to be. Way to go, Mom!

Related Posts with Thumbnails