Men, like nails, lose their usefulness
when they lose direction and begin to bend.
Walter Savage Landon
Looking back at this week I have to sum it up with the word perseverance. I didn't realize perseverance had been the character quality of this past week, until during my morning reading I read examples of those that persevered. People's stories inspire me forward...to press on.
- Albert Einstein's PhD was rejected, it was called "irrelevant and fanciful"
- Abraham Lincoln lost eight elections, failed at business, before becoming President
- Thomas Edison's efforts with creating the incandescent lamp were unsuccessful over 1000 times
- Henry Ford faced bankruptcy three times before succeeding with mass production of the automobile
- Author John Creasey was rejected 753 times before his work was accepted and finally published into 564 books
The Ultimate Self-Help Book - 31 Days in Proverbs - Al Fike
"Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you. Mark out a straight path for your feet; then stick to the path" Prov. 4;25-26
|Google image... Charlotte's Web was finished this week...and that is me in the purple!|
How did perseverance play out in my life this week - what was its face?
- I continued to exercise - even though the scales are not kind to my efforts I pushed myself out to continue for my health and strength - I would love to see a change before the weddings, but if not, I know it is good for my health and my mental outlook
- I continued to push through with our home schooling - even though my mind kept wanting to jump to other issues, how to solve other problems - I relaxed in the joy of Benjamin's learning, I counted our accomplishments and saw we were achieving the goal of a good education
- I pushed forward with developing my business - even though income from it is not coming yet, I am learning - I went out to expand my decorating knowledge and gathered resources for my decorating blog
- I continued in the race - even when I wanted to throw up my hands and give up, I stepped out of bed each day to move forward
- I allowed myself to continue to dream - why not?
- I read books on others who have persevered through life's curve balls with testimonies of humor, forgiveness and grace
- A Marriage Made in Heaven or Too Tired for an Affair - Erma Bombeck
- A Century of Wisdom - Lessons from the Life of Alice Herz-Sommer, the World's Oldest Living Holocaust Survivor - Caroline Stoessinger
- I recounted God's abundance instead of listening to the enemy only recount lack
I want to honor God through my accomplishments. I want to live an adventure. I want to use all that God has given me and not be wasteful. As in the story of the talents (Matt. 25:14-30), I don't want to be found hiding mine just because I would not persevere.