The movie script would continue to unfold with the rising of the sun on Friday morning. Anxious to not miss any opportunity, we bounced out of bed to discover Poggibonsi before our planned itinerary for the day.
The three of us strolled down the hill into the city of Poggibonsi (pronounced Pojji Bonsi). Everywhere you look, there is history and beauty. We walked through a vineyard and olive trees. All the scriptures I know by heart concerning the vineyards and olive plants just flowed through my thoughts. The Roman Civilization history I taught my children for so many years seemed to remind me that each stone I walked on was prepared so God could send His son into this Civilization for us. I started to grasp at a different level the scriptures and history I have enjoyed through the years.
We hurried back to aboard a large, custom touring bus with the rest of the wedding guests. The two moms overlooked the arrivals as the young adults filled up the seats. All were yelling, "is everyone here?" Both moms noticed that their "firstborns" weren't on board. Her firstborn is a doctor and mine, a business owner. They walked onto the bus as if to say, "we are older than all of you... and married! We will get here when we want to get here!" My daughter-in-law's mother has a joyous and contagious laugh and she looked across at me with the comment, "we are always a mom."
- First Stop - The Castle of Monteriggioni
Fortified walls! WOW! We walked along the top of the walls looking out over the countryside. I thought of Masada, Jericho...so many fortified cities mentioned throughout all of history. We were now standing on the top of the walls' lookout, while also looking down into the tiny, yet beautiful city within.
- Second stop would be two small cities in the state of Tuscany
- Our final stop was at an Organic Vineyard and Farm
- The owner shared about his life and passion. He taught us on wines and his prized Balsamic Vinegar. We toured the barrel rooms, where he stores both the wine and the vinegar. The Balsamic Vinegar had been aging for 30 years. He also shared his passion for the essential oils he produces on his farm.
- My passions were stirred with the gardens, balsamic vinegar and essential oils.
- We were able to see over 75% of the Tuscany Valley from this vantage point
- We entered into his little house for an evening meal. Here, he would teach us through each course... The organic garlic, the fresh vegetables, the homemade pasta, the wine and vinegar.
- We finished the meal with vanilla ice cream, drizzled with 30-year-old Balsamic Vinegar... unreal!!
- The man's passion and way of life was expressed so elegantly, leaving me desiring the same
Our second day ended. Truly our dreams were being played out in this script, as we rested peacefully under the open windows of the cool, Poggibonsi night air.
Day Three - Florence....please someone pinch me...this is just too surreal!