Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Tuesday, May 24, 2016

My Side of Fixer Upper Mania



Yes, I am jumping on the Fixer-Upper Mania, but probably not in the way you expect.

If you want to hear about the Gaines, the jewels of Texas, you can google search to find post all over the internet.  You can't turn anywhere without seeing their precious faces. They are even icons in the Christian world as they openly share their faith.  I posted on them years ago, I think it was the end of season one of their show Fixer Upper.

I will show you pictures of my time at the Magnolia Silos, but what I will share here is my view on this "around the world" , "city changing couple."


You see, I know Waco and McGregor and all the towns surrounding this area of Texas.  I am a native Texan, at least four generations have been born here, therefore, I seem to have relatives stretching the expanses of this large state.  Therefore, I grew up going to Waco, where my Aunts, Uncles, Grandmother and cousins lived.  It was WACO!  It was and still is a SMALL town.  I on the other hand was from Austin......................then smaller than now, but a big city in comparison to Waco.
  Lucy and Ethel take the Silos, to celebrate both of our birthdays!

Waco had Baylor University and that was about it!  There wasn't much to do in Waco, in comparison to the large cities of Texas.

The city hasn't changed much.  Baylor did build a wonderful, eye-catching football stadium and their football titles have rocked them into the spot light.  I posted in 2012 on my trip there with Ethel and what was in WACO, this was long before the Gaines started their transformation.


But then,
                       came the show

                                          Fixer - Upper 




which woke up this town and it will never be the same.  You see, when I went to the Silos, silos I had passed all my life, silos that were just empty, what I saw was God.

You see, when God gets a hold of anything...............there are changes.

God took this one couple and He ignited a movement.  There are jobs that were created out of the success of Fixer-Upper.  Buildings were and still are being restored.  A city has come to life!!!  Restaurants have customers filing out the doors.  Parking goes down the street. The vision keeps expanding.

One couples "Yes" has transformed a complete city!! People drive from everywhere to visit Waco now.  Where Waco before was just a gas stop on your way to the large metropolis of our state, it is now a destination.

Local antique shops are full on Saturdays.  Businesses that use to have just a few inside their store all day, now have to monitor the flow.  The first time I visited her little shop on Bosque, there were only two people in the shop. Now you wait in line to get into the store!!!

My Ethel and I followed all the businesses Joanna had recommended on her paper you receive when you visit the Silos.  I kept shaking my head and I repeated more than once....THIS IS WACO!!! I had to pinch myself.


Bottom line and end of this story.  If you get a chance  go, but what I hope you see isn't the store, the bakery, the gardens, the barn............the list is still being added to, as God continues to bring more and more of His vision to life, I hope you see HIM.  I hope you see how God can take the little in our hand and expanded it for everyone around you.  I hope you can see how, as my Uncle said, "we watched this young couple take a shack and make it into their home, thinking, what are they doing?", and see how God can change everything.

The Gaines latest purchase is the Elite Restaurant in Waco.  Another historic landmark in Waco, where we have eaten through the years, on our way to another city, and also celebrated my mother-in-law's 98th Birthday.  They will preserve history, as well as provide more jobs.

One couple.....................handing over their "dreams" to the one who gave the "dream" and then walking in obedience, they get to be part of what HE is doing in and through them.








I hope you enjoyed my pictures, but mainly I hope you see what I saw when I visited Waco. Now you can read their book, watch interviews on every network, read tons of blogs and hear their side of the story. I just wanted to share mine and my applauds is to a Big God....BRAVO!, what awesome works you do through those who say, "YES" to you.










13 Joining in with more words:

Sandy said...

Love this post, Janette, and I also love Chip and Joanna. It is wonderful what God has done and continues to do through them. I hope they continue to use every opportunity they have to give glory to Him. Can hardly wait to read their book!
Hugs!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Love the photos and especially the encouraging word of God's goodness and kindness.

Debbie said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this! Both the pictures and the encouragement!

Farm Girl said...

I enjoyed the pictures. Yep, I bet I have went past those Silos a hundred times. We always had to go past on our way to visit my parents.
My son's girlfriend will be starting school in the fall at Baylor. Yes, it has changed so much since I went through that sleepy little town. I am glad you have great memories of it to share.

podso said...

Janette, I so enjoyed reading this. I see them on HGTV and read about them, but I probably don't know the impact of their lives on Waco that you do, not by a long shot. So it was so interesting to read and see the photos. Most of all to know they give God all the glory, as you do! Thank you! What an amazing story.

moreofhim said...

Janette, your post is so inspiring! I guess I'm one of the very few who haven't seen this TV show. We don't have cable or satellite tv so I didn't know about this. It's so wonderful to see God being given the glory He deserves. Thank you for sharing this - wonderful pictures and great inspiration!

Blessings - Julie

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

It is amazing how little things snowball into big ones through God. May we all say, "Yes," to being his instruments. I love the pictures and your narrative, Janette!

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

Oh me too! LOVE them. I got the sweetest note from Joanna, when I wrote to her. They have BIG plans! GOD has them in the middle of something special. On another note... this has been a sad week for Waco and Baylor. I pray they will survive and be better for it.

Sharon said...

I also love Fixer Upper - and I'm a huge fan of Chip and Joanna. I couldn't be happier for their success, as I know they attribute it to God's work in their lives. May He bless them as they seek to touch so many people, and a town, with their special way of restoring houses and hearts.

It was neat to see your pictures of the inside of Magnolia - I'm kinda envious that you got to visit the silo!!

GOD BLESS!

Lisa said...

Now this is a great way to celebrate a birthday!!!! Little is much in the hands of Him who is the Ultimate Designer! Great post!

Debbie Petras said...

I loved reading your take on Waco and the Gaines'. I love the show! One day I hope to get to go to Waco and stay at their bed and breakfast. But I love most of all how you pointed out how God used this couple to change that city. How awesome if each of us was used by God in our own city in a way He chooses. I no longer think of David Koresh when I hear Waco which is a good thing. God can change anything.

Hugs to you,
Debbie

Maryann said...

I love them too. When we first watched the show we knew they were different before we even knew they were Christians, Loved all the photos, sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon.

Vee said...

Love the show and the Gaineses, too, and I loved Waco the week I visited there long, long ago. It was humid and hot in February. I digress. You've got it just right. What amazing things God can do when His own follow Him. I think it is very cool and I really enjoyed this post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails