Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Not Yet a Habit

I can say that fall has brought many changes in our household.  As I watch the leaves change, the autumn temperatures cool, and the days shorten, I know that I too am in the fall season of life.  My fall season is about adjusting to new habits.  To say that I haven't quite adjusted to the "new habits" would be an understatement.  Now there are parts of our routine that are starting to be familiar but other parts are just a "beating," as my son says.



My horror of all horrors is watching the clock!  On a visit to my mother's house years ago, I went from room to room, which all ticked away with "millions of clocks".  They made my skin crawl, probably because I was just coming out of the full-calendar phase of clock-watching schedules for four super-busy teenagers...and I was tired. I just hated the reminder of time.  As I tried to adjust to "watching the clock" 24/7, I went down and bought a watch.  Oh, I just hated buying that watch... but guess what?  Somehow, I lost that watch.  I still think that keeping track of every minute of my day is exhausting.

As I continue to try to make this new journey of life a "habit," I noticed that I am in phase two. Yes, there are phases to new adjustments and newly-formed habits.


  • "The Honeymoon Stage" - Now this one just blew me away, because a honeymoon is something you want to be on...I didn't pick this honeymoon, so that phase passed very fast.

  • "The Fight Through" - NOW THIS IS WHERE I AM 
"Inspiration fades and reality sets in. A person finds himself struggling with the positive habit completion and old habits seem to be right around the corner. The key to moving to the third phase of habit formation is to win 2 or 3 'fight thru’s.'"
-Forbes

Here is where I find myself.  I am trying to win 2 or 3 of the "fight thru's".  I am starting to adjust to my business with God, who is so graciously giving me some days off.  I had to really "fight thru" this morning when the weather started out cold...I am sooooooooooooooooo not a cold-weather person. I will be "fighting thru" to get out and going this winter.  

I have won on getting up, but lost on getting up early enough each morning to have quiet time by myself. I see that starting the day running with the "to do list" and rushing with the CLOCK makes for a very discouraged Janette.


I have fought through Benjamin being at school.  God has so graciously answered EVERY one of my prayers for this adjustment.  He loves it!  He is doing great!  My job allows me to be there at the end of his day, go on school field trips and even be the home room mom.  I still get to be involved with his schooling.

Adjusting to my body being tired after big cleans is still a "fight thru" battle that isn't won, nor having a good meal on the table by 6 or making bedtime each evening. I am hoping by December I will have won a couple of these battles.

All in all...I am on my way... winning more each day... watching God's faithfulness during some very big adjustments... delighting in the Lord bringing more "Rachel" jobs during the midst of my "Leah" jobs...  rejoicing over an assistant for some of my jobs...she is a joy, an encouragement and great teammate.

  • Second Nature - Not there yet!!

In the midst of all the changes, I am so enjoying my grandson.  He was brought into our life almost a year ago.  They are waiting for the final papers before the law makes him their child legally, even though in our hearts he has been theirs for almost a year.  When they finalize the papers, I will re-post the beginning of this wonderful story.
Here is our pregnant daughter [due Dec. 8th] with my mother-in-law, who is 98 years old.  Along with my oldest son's pregnant wife [due late November], these two new grandsons will add two more great-grands for my mother-in-law's other four great-grands.  These two grandsons will also add to my grandmother's tally of great-great-grandchildren.

Both pregnant women are ready "to be done with this"... their words, not mine!  I so remember thinking it would never come to an end, nor would my body ever stretch that far.  Well, six times it came to an end and six times my belly did expand that big!  The same will be true for both of them as we enter the countdown this month.

As I continue to make things "second nature," I know that just about the time I think I have it down, there will be another curve ball.  That is life......................which means...............I am still alive, but not making my blog post very regular, nor reading blogs.  I am missing it...so I hope to be back to this "habit" very soon.

10 Joining in with more words:

Pom Pom said...

I'm still adjusting after ten years of teaching. When I get to stay home like I am now for Bill, I regress and start wishing for full-time home dwelling again. Yikes.
When I was cleaning houses, I had a lot of verve for the four hours that I worked to clean a house and then I'd come home and flop down for rest until the after-school stuff started perking. I think you are doing an amazing job juggling all your "to do's" Janette!
God be with you.

Debbie said...

I really think we all struggle as the seasons in our life change dramatically. I know I do that's for sure. And I know what you mean about wanting it to just seem like 2nd nature and something you just do. But honestly Janette, you have made some BIG ones and I think you are doing great! Soo glad Benjamin loves his new school situation. And you know what else I have found? Just as you think you have got the new norm down, things shift and change again and we find ourselves having to settle in again with something different. This is just a "SEASON" in your life. And I know you know with your foundation in Jesus NEVER changing you can handle anything. HUGS to you! Debbie

Farm Girl said...

I am so glad you can articulate what you are feeling and experiencing. As I was reading I was very impressed. I don't know if I could even know where to start. I don't like living by the clock either. I do but I think it would be nicer without them. You have went through so many huge changes and I think you have done such a good job.I know that God will empower you to do all that is important to you and He will give you the wisdom to let go those things that are not as important. As Ruth Graham said, Just let Him be in control of your schedule. That always helped me so much. Have a lovely weekend.

Sandy said...

It's great to see a post from you, Janette. I know all of your faithful readers, myself included, know that you have a lot on your plate these days. I want to remind you that I am praying for you and believing with you for all of our Father's best for you and yours.
Love,
Sandy

podso said...

You should like you are growing in this season and making strides to where you want to be, but don't be too hard on yourself! I always appreciate your blog and how deeply you share from you heart, and almost always it has something to do with where I'm at--and probably that would go for most of your readers.

Debbie Petras said...

Life certainly creates many changes. But through it all, I know that you are learning to trust God with it all. So fun to see the photo of your pregnant daughter and your mother in law.

Sending you a hug,
Debbie

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

Ah Janette, that's alot to adjust to all at once. You are right in just taking it an hour at a time. There are no simple answers and no one can tell you how to do it better. One organizational idea that has helped me is the 25,000 dollar Plan. Have you heard of it? It's simple. Make a list of three of the most important things you must accomplish (or want to- I use this as my wish list) and organize them in priority. These are above the everyday tasks. If you only get one done, you've done the most important. Move #2 up to the #1 spot and #3 up to the #2 and then add one more at the bottom in the #3 spot. If at the end of the week, you've only accomplished one a day, you will have completed 7 of the most important things you wanted to get done. What this did for me was allow me to add in things for me - above and beyond what I did for others. This has kept me more balanced and satisfied. It may or may not work for you, but just a suggestion. Hang in there, God will sustain you, as you know, and He will find a way for everything in His will for you. God bless you and know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs.

Rebecca said...

You're right! Every season brings its own, unique call for habits - some easily acquired....others? Not-so-much! I dread winter with its long, LONG hours of darkness. Years past, I just about begin to adjust by spring-time. Then it's time for another change :)

Sue said...

You have just so eloquently expressed what most if not all women feel at some point in their life. I also believe by expressing it so well that so many of us, will say, "If Janette can make it so can I." even at my age, I am always in transition. ~smile~ My Dh has a saying and quotes it so many times, "Nothing stays the same". I am so thankful for the grace of God that is always there. You are and continue to be an inspiration to me and so many!
Congratulations on the soon birth of your grandchildren, your mother is one beautiful lady!
Give Benjamin a hug for me. Our little foal didn't make it, and am hesitant abut posting because I didn't want Benjamin to be sad, as I know with his compassionate heart he would be. I think of you two so often, especially when I drink from my cup, see the beautiful pillow on my couch, and when I look up and see my piggy salt& pepper shakers. With all the lovely gifts, how can I not think and pray for two of my favorite people in blogland.
Love,
Sue

Tanna said...

Your cup is full of precious, precious little lives, Janette!! Thanks be to God. Adjustments... I'm with you on that... pushing on... and, thanks to precious Benjamin for reminding us of the young lives committed to keeping this country safe and free. I tend to think of our forefathers and prior generations, too. Wishing you a smooth week... blessings ~ tanna

Related Posts with Thumbnails