Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Thursday, October 13, 2011

Once a Fashion Statement

Just walk with me through those moments when you realize you really aren't a "young chicken".  You pick up the latest fashion statement, while old memories rewind through your head, you anxiously try it on.  Either you still have it all together and can still pull it off, or you have that "Aqua Velva" moment. If you know what the "Aqua Velva" moment is then you are admitting your age.

So, my vanity was slapped this summer.  My husband wanted to buy me a new fashion accessory.  I was less than excited until I saw it.  Yes, it called to me across the packed aisles of Sam Moon.  I put it on...oh, my... did I feel like........


Yes, from one of my All Time most favorite shows..."Funny Girl".  Can you see her on the boat singing "Don't Rain on My Parade" tossing her head back with her hat? What beautiful hats!   If you
want to watch and sing along.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_g3kkGH8Mo&feature=related


Then I started to laugh internally while strolling toward my newly wanted accessory.  My love affair with 
                                                              

The Hat 

had begun in high school.  

                                        Okay, now this is your warning....all laughing will be heard through your
                                          computer coming across to me.  I have arranged for this to happen.
                                                  Laugh too hard and I will come pull out your old photos, too.



Yes, the Drill Team Hat.  I wore her proudly and strutted with her presence upon my head.  She accompanied me through the years of leading a small group of girls onto and off the field with the direction of my whistle...and yes, I still have the whistle, but didn't get to keep The Hat.


She once again adored my head at my wedding, along with six brides maids also wearing her.

She walked through my early years of motherhood.  I wore many varieties to church... that was back in the days when you dressed up for church, not the flip-flops and jeans of today.  I had a large red, straw-brim hat.  I had a off-white felt hat.  I can see them all.
Now I wouldn't be a Texan if I didn't, at some time, put on a cowboy hat.

Then styles changed and I put away the hats.  I only remember once in the last two decades pulling it out for the last time...a beautiful orchid Easter hat.


Benjamin and I played with hats which were props for the Home School Prom.  Yes, home school students have a prom...the last one I helped to decorate for had over 850 students...I must show those pictures one day.
Isn't Benjamin just a doll here?  I now have a blackmail photo for when he is a teen....here he is, age 3.

 As I bounced youthfully across the room, remembering my love affair with the hat, my vanity was put in check with the tags hanging off my hat.  The long list of all the types of protection it gave you from the sun.

It was now a health issue that caused me to buy this hat....no longer a fashion statement!!

I realized that I am now in the category, not of a fashion statement, but a necessity.  I am also not the age where I can wear a red hat with the Red Hat Club.  I am now stuck in the middle of  Hat - mid-life!

43 Joining in with more words:

Farm Girl said...

Oh yes, me and the hats. I wore a hat in my wedding too. No veil for me. Well, then I discovered antique hats. Oh my gosh, I have some beautiful hats from the 30s and 40s.
I wore those to church long long ago when I was much braver.
I need to wear one now too but I don't. I still think they are fantastic and I love all of your old pictures they are wonderful.
Have fun baking cookies. I just put a ton of stuff in the freezer. Now when my kids have game night I have snacks.
Have a wonderful rest of the week.

Canadagirl said...

Ohh what a FUN post!!! I do remember wearing a hat going to church when I was little. [o= And your latest hat is WONDERFUL....t least you didn't have a fruit hat singing along with Barry Manalo. [o;

Blessings and ((HUGS))
-Mary

Unknown said...

I love hats-except that my hair style doesn't do well with hats cause it flattens it all out and then because of the hairspray I have to use there is no fixing it after-major hat head-so I usually don't wear them. Really cute photos. What a beautiful bride and that picture with Ben is sooooo funny I laughed out loud and had to go back and look at it again. He looks mortified. Cracked me up, those are some hats.
You look wonderful and happy. Cute new hat-evn if you have to wear it or not-it looks great on you.
Hope you have a blessed day.
Hugs
Jill

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

THIS IS SO CUTE!!!

I am laughing, but not loudly, as I SURE don't want my own pulled out and put on display. My wedding 'hat' was a big white satin rose planted right in the middle of my forehead, I was too dumb to say no to a 'helpful' neighbor who wanted to make it for me!! I can tell you for sure - that rose never made it to my keeper box! But it's in every picture from the wedding. :(

Love all your hats, and Benjamin's too!

xo

Rebecca said...

Sounds like there's a Red Hat Club in your future!

You know, I'd like to wear a hat now and then but can't figure out what to do about the hair AFTER taking the hat off...

Sandy said...

Oh, Rebecca is so funny and that's
how I feel too. I have seen too
many "hat hair" heads to want to
try. You look lovely in your new
hat and if I didn't know better I
would think I made that necklace!
So similar to one I have. Benjamin
is adorable, of course, in the hat
he had on!

Debbie said...

You didn't hear me, did you? I had my mouth covered and was doing to silent shoulder shruggy laugh. I was trying to be quiet since I do not want my old fashion statements heralded about in blogland.

But then, as we ventured to the big old Audrey Hepburn looking hat for the prom decorations, I decided that you definitely have hatitude and SHOULD wear them.

The final picture confirmed it.
Hatitude. You've got it and should flaunt it. Let the "necessity" thing be a happy coincidence.


And Benjamin in that picture is priceless. His little face speaks a thousand words.

I love this blog.
Just wanted to add that part.

Debbie said...

Oh, and I do NOT have hatitude. Hats squish the big hair even worse than a bad case of hormones.

Theresa said...

You are funny! I am not much of a hat girl myself though. And Aqua Velvet...my fifth grade teacher would slap that on his face every time he opened his closet in the classroom- LOL!!! Good ol' Mr. Friedman.

Maryann said...

The picture with Benjamin is priceless...yup he'll be thanking you for that one in a few years.
I have never been much of a hat person but, have seen the error of my ways and now I have a couple that I wear...reason for the change, same as yours trying to protect my middle aged skin from the sun. I haven't figured out what to do about hat head though. What do you do after you take the at off?
BTW, I didn't laugh too much but I sure did enjoy looking at those pictures...and you look great in that hat

Sharon said...

I'm doing my best to stifle my giggles. It's making me gag. NO! NOT your post, or your adorable pictures! Just the choking down of chuckles. I can't do it any longer.

HA HA HA HA...

I have always loved hats, too. And I'm still wearing my cowboy hats proudly. But yes, I totally get the feelings you're having.

Here's the deal, though. I'm not buying the *ONCE* a fashion statement thing. So what if our statement isn't screaming "hot mama" anymore.

I think I'm beginning to like my new statement. "Wise (maybe Wiser) Woman of the Lord" - and my chosen fashion statement these days?? The ARMOR of the Lord.

The helmet of salvation is a pretty nice hat!

GOD BLESS!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post....what a trip down memory lane, wasn't it yesterday when we wore those hats??!!
Thanks for the lift:)
Just found your blog and really enjoy visiting.
Shirley from Virginia
thelittlegraycottage.blogspot.com

Susannah said...

LOL, I was lusting after a big floppy straw hat like yours this summer. I already own a couple of more ordinary straw chapeaux so I didn't succumb to the temptation. You look SO cute!

Are you aware of the "fascinators" ladies wear to posh events in Britain? Did you happen to catch the royal wedding? What an amazing array of creative hats. At one time my daughter wanted to get married in England so all the ladies would arrive in hats. Fun!

Debbie Petras said...

I love your hat Janette! And yes, I have one too. You know that sun does such damage on our tender skin. :)

I did laugh though at the fashions of the past. I could identify with you. My mother used to love hats and often wore them to church. Me ...not so much for hats other than avoiding the sun.

You are so fun!

Love you,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Well, Janette, you are talking my language - regarding hats - I totally DO them! Just brought a couple home this past weekend when I was at a Civil War weekend in this quaint town near us that has a zillion antique shops and a tea room I need to visit for high tea soon! I bought a circa 1860's tea hat made by a milliner lady who also makes fabulous reproduction bonnets (not in the budget. THen, there was a great 1930's-1940's burgundy felt hat with a wide brim and really interesting tucks at the crown. Love it! Also - hats I buy in the stores I always feel the need to embellish and turn them into something of another time. And, I actually wear them. People always comment and say how they'd love to wear a vintage hat, too, if they had the nerve. Isn't that a shame - what was the norm at an earlier time in one's life, folks fear revisiting the fad unless the NYC garment district or the Paris runway says it's okay.

Hey - you, me, and your high school band hat - let's march to the beat of our own drummer - and look marvelous in our hats!!!

Joy!
Kathy
P.S. - didn't laugh - and loved the Eliza Doolittle ascot hats!!

Farming On Faith said...

Oh what a cute post. I enjoyed seeing all your pictures.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Janette - The2Seasons said...

I saw your blog's name when I was visiting another site and had to stop and say, "Hi!" because my name is Janette, also. My daughter and I write a blog together called The 2 Seasons. Not too many gals spell their names like this. I will add you to my bookmarks and stop by regularly now.

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

I too used to wear all kinds of hats, and now, rarely. Hoods in the winter. With my work schedule, I don't get to be outside as much and rarely wear any type of hat....Sad. I love your HAT! And yes, mid-life has some sad drawbacks. Too old for somethings, too young for others!

Tanna said...

You are beautiful in all your hats, Janette, but never more so than that last one! I LOVE it!! I, too, share your love of The Hat. I have a huge stack of them in my closet and now, I think they draw too much attention to all my wrinkles and sags. =( I'm close to just sayin' what the hay and wearing them anyway!!

LOVED seeing all the stages of life and your love of The Hat! blessings ~ Tanna

Stephanie said...

I've often thought I should have loved to live in the turn of the century when hats were "in". My sister and I tried to bring hats back once at church, by wearing them for special occasions. We got several compliments, but it never took, and I don't understand why because I love them. Personally, I think the "My Fair Lady" hats are dreamy, although I don't know if I would be brave enough to wear them myself. And your newest hat is just adorable, and you look adorable in it. I would never know you have to wear it now, I would just think you were being stylish. Thanks for the fun post.

Vee said...

I couldn't wear a hat to save my soul, but you look great in them. When I was a maid of honor away back in '74 or '73, I wore one like your bridesmaids. Oh ugh. It was an awful thing to do to a friend. Ha!

Debbie said...

Oh Janette how did I miss this one? hahaha Oh yes the hat!! I had almost identical ones for the bridesmaids in our wedding too...and cowboy hats for my country western dancing faze, and my MANY beach ones, haha...My daughter has tons of them....for her bridal shower at a tea parlor over 50 women wore hats! I had a beautiful cowgirl hat with a veil made up for her.... it was soo fun. You look WONDERFUL in your new hat. I love it. And that little Benjamin is as adorable as always. Have a good week-end! HUGS

no spring chicken said...

You look pretty elegant for someone in hat midlife. You want to see midlife? Put a hat on my head. I didn't look cute in them when I was cute!

I love the old pictures you shared, no laughing here. You were adorable then too...

Blessings, Debbie

Lisa said...

I love all your hats! Your newest acquisition is very cute as well as useful in this Texas sun! But I must say those prom decorations are tres chic! I know that was a beautiful prom.:)

Catherine said...

A beautiful collection of hats, Janette!
I wore a very similar hat for my wedding. I thought it was so pretty and it just made my dress even more special.

Blessings, Catherine xoxo

Christine said...

This is so good. Some ladies can wear hats and then there the rest of us.
You definitely CAN wear hats. Great pictures!

As "we" grow older we do wear many hats. Most of them fall under the "Mother Hat".

Pom Pom said...

Ha ha ha! Funny! Hats do weird things to my hair. The last few days at school have been a challenge because it's been Spirit Week. One day I wore a green wig and today I wore an orange wig and when I couldn't stand it any more, I took it off (then I looked like Darth Vader or Captain Hook in that movie HOOK when he was de-wigged!) Hats have never looked good on me. I must have a weird head.
I'm so glad you like our Grand Tour of The Wind in the Willows guys! It's so fun. I'm so crazy about the story.
I'm so happy to meet you, Janette!

A multi-dimensional life said...

I love hats! Have my own collection ;) I'm not laughing at all...you were adorable then and you still are! I remember the "western craze" and have my own pic of me proudly wearing my cowboy hat (with fringe suede jacket and cowboy boots). We were stylin'. Even if your new floppy hat is for health reasons, it's cute and you wear it well! xo

Catherine said...

Dear Janette, I love your hats!! We both have a love for hats. I remember dressing up for church too! I loved all of those wide brim hats. I always felt like a movie star! It would be so nice if people still dressed up. I love your kitchen also. It is full of vibrant personality. Thank you for your visit. I look forward to them. Have a wonderful and very blessed weekend. Catherine xo

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Oh my goodness! Darling, darling post. I adore hats, love seeing gals young an old wearing them. I've had a couple, I have trouble fnding them to fit, you see my head is so small.. Like scarves, I think hats are popular once again, wear yours proudly, you look beautiful in them. hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

Oh, I LOVE hats and have worn plenty throughout my life. All of these are gorgeous.
Yes, home school kids have prom, mine went to four each, homecoming, student government, superlatives, yearbooks, varsity sports (one has an athletic scholarship--both in college now), state-wide graduation with the governor presenting the diplomas, lifetime friends, socialized with the ability to reply in sentences vs. one syllable to their peers as well as older adults...I better stop while I'm ahead because as you can see, I'm pretty passionate about this. hehehe
PS-Aqua Velva? I even remember the jingle. Said enough. ;)

moreofhim said...

I love hats, too, but alas, cannot wear them as beautifully as I once did. I'm at that age. :P

I love your new hat! I think it's quite a beautiful fashion statement as well as being functional. I loved seeing all your photos and thought you looked lovely in every one of them.

Have a blessed weekend - Julie

Shelley said...

Too much fun - but at lest you can wear a hat and it look good on you - my head shape won't take a hat - boo! Did you know that is you are not quite old enough to wear a red hat - then the under aged girls wear a purple one!!! I have this first hand from an under aged Red Hatter - lol

Thanks for stopping by my blog - may your stockpile grow bigger and bigger - so much so that His Word overflows in your life.

Have a lovely evening and an even better Lord's Day!

Shelley

Petra said...

You look good in hats! Isn't the hat-midlife the pink hat? Or is it purple? Blessings!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I coached t-ball many years ago and the kids on my team said "Coach Tammy, you look funny in a hat." Ha! Hats are definitely not my thing but I think that last picture of you looks great. Happy day to you, Tammy

Sue McPeak said...

I heed your warning, but I am really having a good LOL about your hats!!! We share a Texas Gal Kinship for HATS!

If you browsed around CITexas Gal long enough you might have come across the post of me in my Majorette Uniform with the Fuzzy Pill Box Hat. Then there's the Easter Hat with a brim biggern' Dallas. And on and on with the HatFetishness right up to this years PhotoShoot Hat and Shades for...you got it...protection from the Hottern' Hell Texas Sun.

Thank you for stopping by CITexas Gal and becoming a Follower. I'm always so happy to meet Texas Gals. I'm a new follower of your great blog.

I'm a bit passed the Mid-life Hat stage and qualify for the donning of the Big Red Hat, but you know...like alot of Texas Gals...I think a Ten Gallon Hat is a necessity rather than a fashion statement.

myletterstoemily said...

you do have a love affair with hats! your
newest one is the most beautiful one of
all!

Crown of Beauty said...

Hey Janette, this was such a delightful post. No, I didn't laugh... I loved the pictures and enjoyed seeing you in those hats.

You look lovely in all of them... but the one with Benjamin, may I ask, do you really wear hats that large over there?

Your latest hat is beautiful, it looks good on you. We have plenty of woven hats here made from grass, palm fronds, weeds, tree trunk strips, bamboo, and even dried corn husks - all very beautifully handcrafted, and some come in amazing colors too.

Enjoyed your Kitchen make over post too! I must say you are one amazing woman.

Enjoyed visiting your blog today! (I always do!)

Love
Lidia

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I love hats, but my head is 25 inches around, so nothing off-the-rack comes close to fitting.

You are the absolute cutest thing! Oh my gosh! I LOVED your photos!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

This was totally hilarious. My MIL had lots of hats, but they were too ugly to keep. Maybe I should do a post of them. I have a few straw hats that I wear sometimes just like you... for protection from the sun. I also wore a hat when I got married too!!

Lori said...

Very cute post, Janette!

LeeAnn@Encouragement Is Contagious said...

Well girlfriend, you make hats look good! I loved all of the photos of the many faces of you with hats. Your personality sure is shining through each of them. I especially love the black and white large rimmed one (next to the last photo) Your son is going to probably try and hide that one from his sons one day. hahaha

I was hoping I had not missed your painted floorcloth tutorial. I've not been blogging every day this past week.

♥Lee Ann

Sally said...

We share some of the same pictures. I was on the Drill Team but our outfits were blue and white with a white cowboy hat with short cowboy boots (I lived in Dodge City, of course!) I was in a wedding with the same sytle dresses and hats, only yellow. I LOVE the Easter Parade hat. My grandmother once remarked, when I said I wish we still wore hats, "You only say that because you never had to." Isn't that always the case.

Related Posts with Thumbnails